Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:40 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,846,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I notice that it's mostly the parents who post about their own children, who are painting their own children in such a negative way. This child is constantly in trouble with the school administration, that child is 13 and still won't sleep in her own bed. This other child has a myriad of problems in school and is always the victim. This other one gets drunk at his pal's party, this other one paints the floor with butter so his sister can trip on it.

I think most of the criticism is about the parents, not the kids. Except, as I said, in the case of parents publicizing the obvious shortcomings of their own children.
Yes, I notice this and I also constantly notice the attitude that children are spoiled, rude, have no manners, lazy, disrespectful, bullies, yada yada yada that permeate most threads....

Old 11-02-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
I don't find most posters negative.
The thread below this one is titled "I Hate It When My Child................! LOL...Why not : "I LOVE it when my child"......?

Ever read the spanking or breastfeeding threads.......?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:46 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,858 times
Parents seem to seek parenting threads when they need opinions or help w/ their child. Like someone else said, most don't post to say what a wonderful kid they have. I was a member of a forum years ago, and actually had a couple posters strike out at me because I was happy. They didn't like that I had nothing negative to say about my marriage or my little girl (at that time). Everyone else seemed to come on the forum to complain, and all I wanted to do is share the new milestone my daughter achieved, yet no one wanted to hear that. Didn't take me long to move on.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:51 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
The thread below this one is titled "I Hate It When My Child................! LOL...Why not : "I LOVE it when my child"......?

Ever read the spanking or breastfeeding threads.......?
Well I did say most not all lol. Still, I think the I Hate It When My Child thead is more cute than bashing. It's still early though and there is one poster who hasn't jumped in yet.....

As for the spanking and breastfeeding threads, I think those go downhill because people get too passionate about their beliefs and stop listening to others viewpoints. And you do get a few trolls who jump in to stir things up and people fall for it. But still, most people can argue without having freakouts or meltdowns. But again I say most, not all.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Parents seem to seek parenting threads when they need opinions or help w/ their child. Like someone else said, most don't post to say what a wonderful kid they have. I was a member of a forum years ago, and actually had a couple posters strike out at me because I was happy.
Nope that wouldn't be for me, either. I post on another parenting forum..it's really more a combo blog/advice forum...and most days I can't read it without welling up as it is so moving. The women there are so supportive and write about the most wonderful, happy, funny stories about raising children. That is definately more my cup of tea.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:13 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,858 times
Quote:
Nope that wouldn't be for me, either. I post on another parenting forum..it's really more a combo blog/advice forum...and most days I can't read it without welling up as it is so moving. The women there are so supportive and write about the most wonderful, happy, funny stories about raising children. That is definately more my cup of tea.
That's what I was looking for years ago. Luckily, a few of us moms left and have kept in touch for over 12 yrs now.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:14 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,387,283 times
Quote:
Scroll down the threads and almost all of them are negative on this forum...why is this? Why does CD draw such angry people, always trying to paint children in such a negative way?
Well, I have to be honest. This subforum is almost as intense as politics and religion. Out of all places, I have gotten in the most debates and arguments here. That's because parents are tired!!!!!!! And sensitive! Who wants to hear even a slight hint that they are parenting wrong?

Old 11-02-2010, 07:25 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,689 times
One of the difficulties is that people start to attack other people rather than attacking their argument or issue.

I try hard to stick to the topic rather than commenting on the person whos issue I disagree with but sometimes it happens. I have had a couple of posts censored recently because I slipped up.

Mind you with a smile on your face read that this whole thread titled Why are the majority of CD parenting threads all negative is in its self negative

Old 11-02-2010, 07:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Scroll down the threads and almost all of them are negative on this forum...why is this? Why does CD draw such angry people, always trying to paint children in such a negative way?
the point is mostly to ask for support or answers to questions/problems you are having. On the rare occasion that someone starts a thread just to say something positive, there just isn't much to say about it.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:35 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,753,184 times
I think it's a couple of things:

1) Most people come here for an anonymous way to ask about issues they are having or rant about things in their life that they don't want to bring up to people they know IRL. I much rather be judged/offend/argue with people on a forum than friends & family I think most people feel the same way. If people want a pat on the back or want to share something they are proud of they usually turn to the people who they actually know not an internet forum.

2) IRL we tend to know people who have the same types of beliefs/values as ourselves, but on the internet it's a completely mixed bag so people will butt heads more often.

I don't think this forum is overly negative though, there's just a lot of people who don't care if they stir the pot (there's also a lot of people on here that can't seem to spot a troll and feed right into it).

By the way, this thread is pretty negative so consider yourself part of the problem!

Last edited by icibiu; 11-02-2010 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: forgot a point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting