Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

I have a confession. I don't like Christmas. It's too much of a hassle. I don't enjoy being forced to see relatives I don't see any other time of the year. If we don't care enough about one another to visit throughout the year, I see no point in it. I resent having to travel to see two different families in the same day. It's not fun. It's an obligation. And quite frankly, I'm done doing it. This year, I elected to only stop by for dessert and drop off gifts for my side of the family. I spent two hours with them and that was plenty. I stopped going with hubby to visit the inlaws a few years ago. My ultimate goal is to start the family tradition of going away on ski vacations. We were planning to do that this year, but hubby injured himself at work. Next year, we're definitely going on vacation. No more Christmas with extended family for me! My favorite part of Christmas is Christmas Eve---because that's when we have dinner with friends, people we care to spend our time with, people we see throughout the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 03:28 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
I used to hate the holidays and couldn't wait for them to be over, but it seems that the less I see of extended family, the more I like Christmas. My father is dead and my mom doesn't leave the facility where she lives (mobility, dementia and continence issues). I visited with her on Christmas eve. My husband's mom is dead and he doesn't talk to his family (long story). I live across the street from my brother and his family, visited briefly on Christmas eve and that was it.

A few years ago I announced to just about everyone that we would only be giving gifts to children and not adults. I couldn't stand searching for a gift for someone who didn't need anything and hate getting stuff I don't need/want. If I do anything for grownups, it's a small basket with coffee, cookies, etc. That has helped Christmas to be more enjoyable.

Christmas day was spent with dh, dd and three friends who came over for dinner, some Wii and some board games. Very nice and relaxing.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
...but it seems that the less I see of extended family, the more I like Christmas.
That's what I'm counting on! I wish I hadn't waited 18 years before I put a stop to the madness!

Old 12-27-2010, 07:00 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
My "kids" are 16 and 13. Past that easy to excite age.

My husband had bought some things last minute on Friday. He walks in the house and calls the kids to the room where he proceeded to give them the Christmas gifts!. He didn't tell me he was going to do that. I think he couldn't wait---who knows.
I don't think it's about the "excitement" --- 16 and 13 is still young, anyway. My parents were dead when I was 16.

You can best believe your actions are hurting your children. You laying in bed all day on Christmas, not sharing in the gifts, taking the tree down immediately after Christmas. You're hurting them, whether they let you know or not.

When your kids get older and have their own families, how do you think they'll remember their Christmas? Mom laying in bed, sleeping all day? Mom, taking the tree down the day after Christmas? Mom not sharing in any happiness or anythign with them??

I know you say your depressed, but you need to stop being so selfish and think about your children for a change.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:26 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The holidays are just starting for us. Tomorrow is just the first day of Christmas.
Yes, we've got unitl Epiphany until the holiday is actually over.

And then on January 8, my family has its Christmas party. It's too much of a pain to get us all together on Christmas itself, so we wait until after the New Year and have a family party.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:35 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I was kind of surprised that I wasn't as sad and depressed at Christmas this year. When my daughter was little and I'd gotten divorced, I lived with my parents for a few years. My grandmother was living there and my brother, also divorced was living there and his daughter would come for Christmas. My bro and I would stay up late and drink beer together and write goofy letters from Santa and the reindeer for the kids to read in the morning, and eat the cookies and take bites out of the carrots that we left for Santa and the reindeer. The kids were so excited on Christmas morning, and it was a full house.

Now my father is dead, my grandmother is dead, and my brother is dead. My niece is grown and living with her fiance, and my daughter is in college. I've just felt kind of sad at Christmas the past few years.

But this year wasn't so bad and I thought it would be. I'd bought a condo this year 60 miles away from where I used to live, but my daughter came home from school, got into decorating the house, and we even went to midnight mass on Christmas Eve together even though I haven't gone in years and she's into Buddhism and eastern thought this year. It was still very nice, flowers and candles and the old Christmas hymns. Christmas Day I spent with my mom and one of my sisters and her SO. It was a quiet day, but nice. Didn't feel so bad as usual. The absence of pain.

Next year will probably suck, as my daughter's trying to arrange to spend her junior year in China. If she's there, I will probably see if someplace can use an extra volunteer to feed homeless people on Christmas Day.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

And then on January 8, my family has its Christmas party. It's too much of a pain to get us all together on Christmas itself, so we wait until after the New Year and have a family party.
My family doesn't do Epiphany, so it's a great time for just my husband and me to be together to celebrate. Sometimes we go to his sisters' house as they celebrate it.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I like this idea.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I so heard this and this is another reason I will be glad to move the 8 hr drive away from them . wow you wont get home til tuesday ugh !!! I feel for you and yes christmas puts me in a bad mood as well . Jan 2nd is my favorite day of the year things get back to normal whatever normal is these days LOL !!!
Finally home after 7 days of visiting and 4 days of driving. Our last night of the trip DH and I discussed future years and went from traveling to see family every other year, to occasionally, to hardly ever! I still feel guilty for moving away, and feel obligated to go back to where almost all the family is, but we don't enjoy it. I did get to see my 6 month old niece though. That alone was worth the hassle! What a cutie!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:48 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,566 times
I host a Christmas Eve open house every year, and whoever shows up shows up. We set up a buffet, everyone who comes usually bring something to add to the food or drink, and then we just enjoy each others' company. This year we had about 17-20 people, a mix of adults and children, in and out. We refuse to drag the kids out of the house on Christmas morning, so we go to my sister's at around 4 or 5. This year, we had a couple of friends over for brunch on Christmas day, and we all played the kids new Wii games and drank eggnog.

I find that I like these smaller get togethers better. My SIL has a big bash with about 100 people the week before Christmas, and I dread going. That's the one we dress up for. Ugh. That's why I keep our Christmas Eve casual. This year, my girls wore their new pajamas the whole time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting