Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:20 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

Of course that is a professional judgment. I certainly wouldn't even think of getting a gap "fixed" unless the child made some comment about it and/or until a professional said the procedure was timely. I would think that would be after all permanent teeth were in. Again for a simple gap I would leave that up to the child.
I asked as a teenager and was refused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 11:29 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
My mom took me for eyebrow waxes at 12. We went every other week. I hated it. When I was about 14 she took me for laser hair removal which is really painful. I kept saying I didn't want to go and it hurt to much yet she made me go. Now, I have no hair in those places, and I am very glad she forced me to go.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:54 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Depends on how bad the gap is. I'm a Southern Californian and admit to being totally warped about these things. Totally. In LA you are judged by your looks. Not saying that's a good thing but it's a fact of life in that town.

BTW Lauren Hutton sometimes wears a cap over one tooth so that the gap is not noticeable. It's removeable. She can pop it on and off.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:56 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I understand how it's unnecessary but I don't see how it's "wrong" per se. Hair grows and gets cut so you don't really have to worry about damaging hair, especially in kids, whose hair usually grows pretty fast.

I was thinking more from a chemical avoidance point of view. I don't think it is healthy to start subjecting youngsters to the effects of hair dye. I'm not sure it is entirely safe for adults. We are told it isn't healthy for pregnant women so how can it be OK for young children.

I started coloring my hair at 16 without my mother's approval. My hair would probably be alot healthier if I had never colored it. All my daughters are Asian and have beautiful healthy hair. I have already made them promise not to try to color or perm it but of course when they are adults, I wouldn't have much say in it.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:56 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
My mom took me for eyebrow waxes at 12. We went every other week. I hated it. When I was about 14 she took me for laser hair removal which is really painful. I kept saying I didn't want to go and it hurt to much yet she made me go. Now, I have no hair in those places, and I am very glad she forced me to go.
In your case, I can see your mother making the decision that she made. There are some ethnic groups which have prolific hair growth that can cause some serious emotional trauma to children. I had a few classmates who also had this done. The ones who didn't, it was heartbreaking!! The teasing they went through. Swimming classes were an absolute nightmare for the poor girls who had excessive body hair, even in jr. high! Below the waist, even if the shave it, they had the horrible, large shaving rash which was visible. I'm glad your mom knew what was best for you. You are certainly reaping the benefits now!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:58 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Depends on how bad the gap is. I'm a Southern Californian and admit to being totally warped about these things. Totally. In LA you are judged by your looks. Not saying that's a good thing but it's a fact of life in that town.

BTW Lauren Hutton sometimes wears a cap over one tooth so that the gap is not noticeable. It's removeable. She can pop it on and off.
Hmmm... I wonder if she would have been such a successful model had she had the gap fixed and looked kinda like everybody else?

I might look into getting one of those poppable gap covers. Might be a fun way to change my look!

Old 01-06-2011, 12:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Hmmm... I wonder if she would have been such a successful model had she had the gap fixed and looked kinda like everybody else?

I might look into getting one of those poppable gap covers. Might be a fun way to change my look!
She says no. The gap is what made her noticed. She was smart and found a way to have a "look" that set her off from the competition. (But great cheekbones didn't hurt either.)

Old 01-06-2011, 12:02 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
In your case, I can see your mother making the decision that she made. There are some ethnic groups which have prolific hair growth that can cause some serious emotional trauma to children. I had a few classmates who also had this done. The ones who didn't, it was heartbreaking!! The teasing they went through. Swimming classes were an absolute nightmare for the poor girls who had excessive body hair, even in jr. high! Below the waist, even if the shave it, they had the horrible, large shaving rash which was visible. I'm glad your mom knew what was best for you. You are certainly reaping the benefits now!
Couldn't rep you. But yes, I am quite glad I had my mustache layered off when I was young. Now if anything grows, it's a little fuzz which can be waxed off and doesn't show again for months. It was such a blessing. I am actually trying to get her to take me for my underarms now.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:13 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

I definitely agree that looks are judged more harshly in some regions than others. If I still lived in the NYC area I probably would have had several rounds of Botox by now b/c the standards for beauty are so much higher, though not as high as L.A.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:31 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
I don't see it as a defect. I am 56 years old and have never had an issue with it. One angry dentist told me that my parents should have had it fixed and seemed very angry about it. I told him to leave it. My son saw the same dentist once and the dentist told him he needed to get his fixed so that it would be as "God intended." Yeah, that went down really well with my son and he never saw that dentist again. "As God intended for it to be." I told my son I had no idea how to explain that one. We consider it a family trait and I consider it probably the only thing I have in common with Lauren Hutton, sadly - next life I come back looking like the whole package! And, I once met someone from the Virgin Islands and his wife had a generous gap between her front teeth and he said that the older people there said that the wider the gap, the sweeter the woman and, in this case, it was true as she was the most wonderful girl and always smiling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting