Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:51 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times

Advertisements

Grew up in a regular middle class town and everyone I know paid for college between some combination of student loans, work and scholarships....

When did this become the parents responsibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 07:59 PM

897 posts, read 2,455,504 times
That is part of a parent's responsibility!!
How do you think an 18 year old can pay for college?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
We just had a lengthy debate on the subject:

Why do you pay for your kids college education?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I want my kids to go to college and graduate without having to pay back loans. The way YOU did it isn't the only way to do it.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:06 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Grew up in a regular middle class town and everyone I know paid for college between some combination of student loans, work and scholarships....

Instead, pass down the legacy of debt.

"Your father and I have 30K of credit card debt owing to the things which thinged our lifestyle. Therefore you must begin your life with 15K of student debt"

And you angry taxpaying grasshoppers think the government is aggravating budget deficits

Old 03-09-2011, 08:09 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Instead, pass down the legacy of debt.

"Your father and I have 30K of credit card debt owing to the things which thinged our lifestyle. Therefore you must begin your life with 15K of student debt"

And you angry taxpaying grasshoppers think the government is aggravating budget deficits

A college student doesn't necessarily have to go into debt just because their parents aren't footing the bill. I've known many college students at my place of business who pay for their own college as they go along. They're working their butts off now so they won't have to go crazy later on having student loans hanging over their heads.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Seems to be a question on many parent's minds...here's another thread discussing this topic...

Rising College Tuition - What's Your Plan?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
A college student doesn't necessarily have to go into debt just because their parents aren't footing the bill. I've known many college students at my place of business who pay for their own college as they go along. They're working their butts off now so they won't have to go crazy later on having student loans hanging over their heads.
I'll try verifying this with the newbies in my world, those who pull 45K per annum, sitting on more than 50K of student debt (some even from the top schools) and becoming spreadsheet rats till as late of 8pm, which is technically overtime, but they are not entitled to be paid for it becoz they should be glad to have their name on some form of paycheque for now

Old 03-09-2011, 08:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post

The government makes it part of the parent's responsibility since it takes into consideration the parent's income of all students under 24 years old. If you make a lot of money, your children qualify for less grants and student loans---because the government considers parents responsible for a portion of their children's educations. If you want your children to pay for everything, they won't be able to start college until after they are 24 years old because the government doesn't consider them financially independent until then.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
You really can't be certain how much they're funding on their own. They could be working their butts off to pay for a portion of it. I doubt they don't loans.

I prefer my children to put most of their energy into studying and getting the grades than working while going to school. That's why I don't mind helping them pay for college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting