Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 07:21 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

It's time to talk about the friggin weather!
Isolated showers and 62 degrees here today

Old 04-12-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
That's awesome! I love when something good comes from any bad experience! Silver lined clouds and all that.
There was actually about 3 years we did not speak to DH's parents at all. There was an incident here at our house. I was called a bad name, DH threw them out.

If those fences can be mended, any can. It just might take years, but it can mend.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Isolated showers and 62 degrees here today
I'm jealous! We finally hit 70 degrees for daytime high yesterday! There was even sunshine!

Sure, it only lasts a few hours in the late afternoon, but there's hope we might have a summer.

Today's high is 40 degrees with the typical rain, rain and more rain. But the birds like the rain. They're all yapping it up out there this morning!

Old 04-12-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
There was actually about 3 years we did not speak to DH's parents at all. There was an incident here at our house. I was called a bad name, DH threw them out.

If those fences can be mended, any can. It just might take years, but it can mend.
I'm the one who won't mend the fence. They treated me like my children were second class citizens because they aren't biologically related. I never kept the children from them because they actually treated the children fine---they'd just make digs to me. They refused to be called aunts and uncles until one of the brothers finally had kids. It was just disgusting. When he did have his first, they made a big deal around me about there finally being children in the family. I didn't make a scene but I quietly walked out and I didn't go back for five years.

I finally caved and returned for a few years until one of them started saying nasty stuff about my children (who weren't there) and that time I did make a scene when I walked out. I said everything I had bottled up for 14 years because until that day I was always there with my children and I wasn't going to let my children know what was going on.

I highly doubt I will ever return to one of their functions. I haven't even attended two funerals. My life is much better this way. Hubby has his relationship with them and sees them whenever he wants. I don't mind at all. But I'm not interested in seeing them ever again. I'm not sure how to handle that if I ever have to have a funeral for my husband. So you're right, never say never, because I might have to see them someday.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:41 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Well Finster, hope you have no knock out, drag outs with your in-laws. That whole wedding thread makes me thinks mine aren't as annoying as I think they are.

Age four is such a wonderful age. Although I thought, up until about 10 with my son, that each age was my favorite.
Quote:
That's a VERY good idea! You haven't missed anything for the past few pages. There might be good stuff before that. I don't know. But you're safer in the happy-thong-wearing-anniversary-new-job-vibes universe!

Happy BD to DD! They do grow fast. I tried to keep a journal. It's spotty, just memories from moments here and there because it's hard to do AT THE TIME and you do end up forgetting most of it as time goes on. Just take lots of pictures. They help bring back the memories and stories.

OMG! At $29 you HAVE TO GET IT!

That's awesome! I love when something good comes from any bad experience! Silver lined clouds and all that.

Hey, I even think my BILs and SILs aren't that bad. I'm not saying that I will talk to them or associate with them all of a sudden. But I'll admit, they could be much worse! LOL
Thanks for the birthday wishes... yes I GOT the ice cream machine! Yay! Now I have to figure out how to hide the bowl thingie in the freezer so DD doesn't ask me endless ???'s about what it is and why do we have it.

I agree Coop - the wedding thread certainly put my inlaws into perspective - we have our moments but I try to take deep breaths and not take things personally. They really are very kind, and they DOTE on MissFR.

Yesterday was a beautiful day - I asked our lawn mowing man to dig up all the weeds in our (tiny) back yard and put some lawn seed in - he did a great job and now it's all covered in straw waiting for our lawn to pop up.

(No we don't have a lawn mower. We're city folk, ya see. )

Old 04-12-2011, 07:42 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Apparently I hit the jackpot with in-laws...I always say my MIL reminds me of Aunt Bea from The Andy Griffith Show. Very sweet. My SIL's can be....interesting....but we don't see them often enough to have anything controversial happen.

Hoping we get some rain here today. Sure could use it.

Ohio - good luck on day 2!

Oh! and HB to Miss FR!

Old 04-12-2011, 07:43 AM

Hopes, trust me, nothing would have been mended if someone was saying anything about my DS. That's for sure.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
(No we don't have a lawn mower. We're city folk, ya see. )
Get a goat! Problem solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Apparently I hit the jackpot with in-laws...I always say my MIL reminds me of Aunt Bea from The Andy Griffith Show. Very sweet. My SIL's can be....interesting....but we don't see them often enough to have anything controversial happen.
Your inlaws have always sounded like super great people in your posts. You sure did hit the jackpot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hoping we get some rain here today. Sure could use it.
I'd love to send some your way! You're welcome to it anytime you want!

Quote:
Hopes, trust me, nothing would have been mended if someone was saying anything about my DS. That's for sure.
Thanks. That makes me feel like less of a freak. I don't talk about it often. I feel like I look like a terrible person who won't even go to funeral home viewings. I'd go to an actual funeral but hubby hasn't been going to the funerals, just the viewings. He stays for hours because he wants to socialize with his extended family. Hours of socializing with his siblings around is not within my capabilities. Sitting in a church and going to a cemetary is something I can, but hubby hasn't gone to the actual funeral for the past two deaths in the family.

When my children were younger, I always just said I wasnt' feeling well enough to go to the holiday gatherings. Now that they are adults, they know I don't like them but they don't know details. I forget what I specifically said when they asked---I just brushed it aside with something vague like "we dont' get along but I think it's great that you and your father enjoy your relationships with them" or something like that.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:58 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Get a goat! Problem solved!
Ha! I'd love to, but considering the size of our lawn the poor thing would starve to death.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Ha! I'd love to, but considering the size of our lawn the poor thing would starve to death.
Well, we can't let that happen. Looks like you're getting a weed wacker instead!

There's also those non-motorized lawn mowers. We had that when I was a kid. It's a workout if you have hills. If your yard is flat, it's easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting