Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 02:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Is that where they tickle the catfish? I have a boy who is dying to try that. Acting like a worm is not my idea of fun...but then again, catfish isn't my idea of food.
They wave their hands around in front of these gigantic catfish's mouths, and the fish bite their hands. They lose a fair bit of skin in the process.

Funny enough with the lack of food where I grew up, nobody ate catfish which were plentiful. They were considered to be yuk, eating all the dead crap on the bottom of the rivers.

Quote:
These national weather service warnings are starting to get to me.
Ditto. I really need to go to the grocery store. Trying to figure out if we need to sleep in the basement. It's going to be a long night if this continues!

Old 09-05-2011, 03:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
St Kibbie for sure. How often do the in-laws visit? Are you knocking out a year's worth of togetherness ( I hope)?
AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok I feel better now. It depends. We last saw them at Christmas, and have no plans to see them again before next summer, so ya about a year's worth. We're already planning next summer. The kids will probably visit them w/o us having to go. Then we'll do a shorter visit all together when we get the kids back. It should work out better for all of us.

Watch out for those tornadoes! Stay safe!

Old 09-05-2011, 03:38 PM

Here is a question for you all. Do you try to keep visits with your family and your spouses family fairly even? Are you successful at keeping them even?

We try, but as time goes on, we are seeing my family more than my husband's. I feel a little guilty about this, but there are other variables that are out of my control. For example, There are only 2 siblings on my side, and 4 on his, so MIL and FIL are spread thinner than my parents are. Anyway, just wondering.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:50 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
We try to see each family as we can. It's generally impossible to be even. In our family, DH's parents were considerably older than mine and weren't really able (for a variety of reasons) to travel to visit us so it was up to us to visit them. Also, we lived for many years in DH's hometown and had friends, former neighbors etc. there. We used to travel there twice a year and stay for a week at a time. During that week we'd be able to visit with his parents, extended family, friends etc as well as some of my extended family just a few hours away. My immediate family has generally been spread all over and much more able to come to us. It wasn't feasible for us to fly our whole family to visit them so we depended on them visiting us - which they'd do for short visits (a long weekend or a few days here and there)....

You do the best you can and we all put up with them as much as they put up with us....

Hang in there rkb - you can do it for a few more days and then you'll have a good long time before it comes up again!

Old 09-05-2011, 04:16 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Stay safe you lot in the tornado zone. Don't be tempted to go out if you shouldn't, now. *fingerwave*

I worry about you.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:19 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I have to write two papers before 10am tomorrow. I'm an idiot for procrastinating.
Fa! Procrastination is the sport of champions! Good luck getting everything done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Ewag how are you holding up?
A-1-A over here, except I'm beginning to not be able to bend over at all! Sorry to hear about your headaches and sinus pressure, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hugs to you - you're almost there!! I second the St. Kibbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Here is a question for you all. Do you try to keep visits with your family and your spouses family fairly even? Are you successful at keeping them even?
When we lived with both families in town, it was pretty even. After we moved, we visited each of them (NY and FL) once a year and they each came to us once a year. Now that we're in PA, we're closer to the NY family (mine) and see them much more often. We usually see DH's family (FL) twice a year, but not at all this year due to his grandparents' health problems. My MIL has flaked on six separate sets of plans to come visit us since this time last year, three of which involved nonrefundable plane tickets. She now wants to come visit before the baby is born.

I strongly prefer the three day or less visits, although that's tough when either you or they are going to the time and expense of flying in.

Zim and Mattie - Good luck with the tornado watch. Stay safe!!

Old 09-05-2011, 04:25 PM

^ that's exactly the problem. If you are going to fork out the money for plane tickets, you want to stay a while.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:31 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
Thanks all for the posts about my amazing dd, who we can all admit now is the most special child on the planet. I always knew it. I am just happy that you are all admitting it now.

Re: seeing family- We try to see our families on a pretty even basis, but it is hard. I am one of 4 kids who all have kids and we have one of those families that need to see each other for every birthday, holiday, or if the wind happens to blow. We also all live within 15 minutes of each other. We get together a lot because we have a lot of birthdays. My grandma, all of my aunts and uncles and all of my cousins (mom is one of 4 also) all live within 2 hours of us, so we see each other at almost all of the holidays, graduations, weddings, and random weekends. Thanksgiving usually involves between 80-100 people of just blood relatives who live in a 2 hour drive. That doesn't include family friends, etc.

DH's family on the other hand is completely different. His mom lives only 20 minutes away, but DH is an only child so that is about it for his side. He has some cousins that I met once. His aunts, uncles and cousins are spread out across the country. When we celebrated his grandma's 90th birthday, there were people coming in from 49 states (no Hawaii). Because the number on his side is so limited, we do see them less. Not a lot, but my family does get a majority of our time. Of course some of my family's time is "work days" where we all meet at someone's house to tackle a large project like painting or putting up a fence, so it is not all play.

Re: proctastinating - I always think about procrastinating, but I keep putting it off.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:19 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Thanks guys! We've had a few tornadoes touch down in the metro area this afternoon, 2 a little close for comfort . Quite a bit of damage, but no injuries that I have heard of. We had a little wind sheer come through our yard about an hour ago, and completely wiped out our garden! Anyway, in the grand scheme of things, it's nothing.

Mattie - are you guys doing okay?

Old 09-05-2011, 05:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Everyone in the path of bad weather please take care!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting