Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:46 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes! Beachy, yes!

Or talking about adult subjects in front of little kids, "I was on The Pill but it didn't work and now I have this one" (points to 6-year old standing next to her) "and I just hate being tied down. I'm going in to get my tubes tied tomorrow because I'll kill myself if I have to have any more of these little snots." (Yes. I've heard it.)

Drives.me.up.a.WALL!! I've been known to distract the child so he doesn't have to listen to this.
I have said (in front of DD) "I wasn't supposed to be able to have kids, but then this little miracle came along and that was the best surprise I have ever had." But saying "I was on The Pill but it didn't work and now I have this one" (points to 6-year old standing next to her) "and I just hate being tied down. I'm going in to get my tubes tied tomorrow because I'll kill myself if I have to have any more of these little snots." is horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 02:51 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes! Beachy, yes!

Or talking about adult subjects in front of little kids, "I was on The Pill but it didn't work and now I have this one" (points to 6-year old standing next to her) "and I just hate being tied down. I'm going in to get my tubes tied tomorrow because I'll kill myself if I have to have any more of these little snots." (Yes. I've heard it.)

Drives.me.up.a.WALL!! I've been known to distract the child so he doesn't have to listen to this.
Oh my gosh Dew....YES!! I mean, how can someone be so callous, so disgustingly hateful, to say things like that in front of their children. The things that come out of people's mouths in front of their children. I mean, to even THINK those things....much less, say them in front of your kids. Oh my gosh. You can see those kids just shrinking....I mean, why stop with the words, why not just kick the child into a corner and tell them how you can't stand their ugly little mugs? They might as WELL be doing that.....it causes as much damage!

Honestly, I have said, in front of my youngest....that I was done having kids 6 years before he came along. I decided I was done, but "someone else" decided otherwise....and boy was I ever glad that "someone else" did, because he has always been such a sweet blessing to our whole family! Yes, of course he blushes, but it's out of love that he does so.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:04 PM

992 posts, read 2,373,229 times
I'm amazed at how many parents do that! My husband's cousin does that all of the time, and his kids are older...he talks so poorly about his 15 year old RIGHT THERE!!! I can't stand it! I had to say something, and I did...also pulled the 15 year old aside and told him it was ok...he's not a bad kid and if he needed to talk, my husband and I were there for him.

All of those nasty things WILL be remembered. I'm 38 and I remember my mom making fun of me calling me thunder thighs and orca when I was little. It still brings me to tears at times.

I can't stand when I hear someone talk about how much they need a break...when their kids pretty much do everything anyway. I know a LOT of lazy moms that ***** and moan about how bad they have it. I'm like, ok, heffa, come to my house!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 03:09 PM

402 posts, read 1,406,393 times
Talking We have to laugh at the crazies so that we don't become them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Welcome to C-D! I am glad you like the thread. I thought we could all use a place to vent out some of those things that you can't really say in real life. Seems like it is working.

Regarding your little issue: That is annoying when they call under false pretenses like that. It also sounds a little like Mompetition.

In my experience, Mompetition never really stops. It starts when you are pregnant and another mom feels the need to 1-up you on everything from the fact that they are only eating organic and are having fresh air pumped into the house to avoid pollution getting into their system to comparing how many ounces your baby weighs at 8 weeks gestation. Then it moves on to whose baby had their teeth come in first or who has more hair. Then who is sitting/crawling/standing/walking/recognizing colors, etc. For some reason many moms feel the need to constantly try to 1-up other moms. You will probably hear it the rest of your life. "Johnny is first in his class at Harvard Law." "Really? Well, my Jane graduated college 6 months early." Then you may hear about how many grandbabies they have and how well they are doing at their careers.

Sorry. I could go on forever about that. Why do moms feel the need to do this? Is it to validate the choices they made as parents? I really am curious.
Yes, I totally agree with num1baby. Some parental competition goes on outside the hospital nursery:

Parent #1: I see your kid got a B.
Parent #2: Yes, we are both Bs. I guess it's genetic afterall.
Parent #1: Yes, you are correct there! My little Einstein got an A+!
Parent #2: You realize that's only a blood type, right?
Parent #1: No, he gets an A+ on everything! He got a 10 on his APGAR too.
Parent #2: You know that you cannot control that, right?

Parent #1: Totally. Don't worry about your child. They can't all be geniuses. Some were destined to B blue collar workers.
Oh, look at the time. I have to go pick up a scholarship application.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
I'm amazed at how many parents do that! My husband's cousin does that all of the time, and his kids are older...he talks so poorly about his 15 year old RIGHT THERE!!! I can't stand it! I had to say something, and I did...also pulled the 15 year old aside and told him it was ok...he's not a bad kid and if he needed to talk, my husband and I were there for him.

All of those nasty things WILL be remembered. I'm 38 and I remember my mom making fun of me calling me thunder thighs and orca when I was little. It still brings me to tears at times.

I can't stand when I hear someone talk about how much they need a break...when their kids pretty much do everything anyway. I know a LOT of lazy moms that ***** and moan about how bad they have it. I'm like, ok, heffa, come to my house!!!

Oh I LOVE that!! They'll sit and brag about how they've got their kids trained...how the chores are ALL on the schedule on the wall and they KNOW who has what job. Stacy has dishes M-W-F, floors T-TH-Sun, laundry Sat & Tues. Then proceed to tell you the other kids' chores...and say how they need to go to work to get a break. All I can think is...WTF!

Old 06-16-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Oh I LOVE that!! They'll sit and brag about how they've got their kids trained...how the chores are ALL on the schedule on the wall and they KNOW who has what job. Stacy has dishes M-W-F, floors T-TH-Sun, laundry Sat & Tues. Then proceed to tell you the other kids' chores...and say how they need to go to work to get a break. All I can think is...WTF!
I hate when people say, "Oh I've got them trained!" talking about their kids or their husbands....makes me sick. How would said woman react if her husband said, "oh I've got her trained". So disrespectful.

I get annoyed when parents can't get their kids to school on time. I'm sorry...I have 4 kids, 3 dogs, and a husband and a compulsion to be on time. My neighbor has 1 child, no job, and CANNOT get her boy to school on time. I know some people run late...I get that but to not get your kid to school on time? Here's the rub...we live a BLOCK from the school and she still can't get her boy there...I've offered to take him but she said I leave too early and she'd have to get up earlier. OMG...get your lazy butt out of bed and take care of your child!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
I hate when people say, "Oh I've got them trained!" talking about their kids or their husbands....makes me sick. How would said woman react if her husband said, "oh I've got her trained". So disrespectful.

I get annoyed when parents can't get their kids to school on time. I'm sorry...I have 4 kids, 3 dogs, and a husband and a compulsion to be on time. My neighbor has 1 child, no job, and CANNOT get her boy to school on time. I know some people run late...I get that but to not get your kid to school on time? Here's the rub...we live a BLOCK from the school and she still can't get her boy there...I've offered to take him but she said I leave too early and she'd have to get up earlier. OMG...get your lazy butt out of bed and take care of your child!!!
Yes..."trained"....what a horrid, derogatory word to use on your loved ones. My husband is far too intelligent to ever use statement like that about me. He knows that I'm just as wild and untrainable as the day he met me. LOL

Ah yes, the compulsive late parents...since we're on the thread of things parents say..."Oh it's no big deal, they never start on time anyway!" Meanwhile, their little Johnny & Kimmy never get chosen for anything. Why? Because they're UNPREDICTABLE!....Why? Because that's what mommy taught them! Now mind you, Johnny & Kimmy can't ever seem to get their homework in on time either. Why? Because mommy taught them that time is not an issue.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:44 PM

I'm SO amazed that kids in grammar school can't turn in homework. WTH? My daughter got an award for turning in all of her homework this year...she's in 1st grade. She was one of 4. Dead faint.

I don't think I could be a teacher...my tongue is too sharp!

Old 06-16-2011, 03:56 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post

Yes..."trained"....what a horrid, derogatory word to use on your loved ones. My husband is far too intelligent to ever use statement like that about me. He knows that I'm just as wild and untrainable as the day he met me. LOL

Ah yes, the compulsive late parents...since we're on the thread of things parents say..."Oh it's no big deal, they never start on time anyway!" Meanwhile, their little Johnny & Kimmy never get chosen for anything. Why? Because they're UNPREDICTABLE!....Why? Because that's what mommy taught them! Now mind you, Johnny & Kimmy can't ever seem to get their homework in on time either. Why? Because mommy taught them that time is not an issue.
I HATE when people say their husband is trained. Oh, it's so annoying to me!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I HATE when people say their husband is trained. Oh, it's so annoying to me!!!

It is horrifyingly disrespectful. AND it's NOT funny! I would never ever say that about my husband. I love and respect him too much. Besides, I love that he's his own man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting