Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 01:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
You can't have a child carrying their own epi-pen all over school, to lunch, out to recess. That just isn't practical or safe. Even if she had it, would the recess teacher have known it was on her, or known what to do with it?

This is just such a sad story. It seems both avoidable and inevitable at the same time.
Correct. Our office doesn't usually give permission to "carry" until at least 10 years old. Even then, the school needs to know about it, and have a signed order (at least in Colorado).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 01:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My son wears one.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:43 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
?

I frequently give BabyGirl toast with PB on it for breakfast or peanut butter cereals (like HN Cherries) in the car on the way to the gym..

Is she "dangerous" to any other children at the Kid's Klub that have allergies? I have to admit I've never given PB allergies much thought.

One year, DH bought peanut M&M's for trick-or-treaters and I didn't have those out but he had already dumped them in with the other candy and stireed them up a bit. I wondered if that was enough to contamintate the other candies but figured if someone had kids with severe allergies they wouldn't be trick-or-treating anyway?

My DH has bee sting allergies so I end up carrying a epi-pen for him when we're out in about - I honestly can't say what I'd do if I saw a child having a reaction....
My niece still goes, but can't eat much of anything. I've noticed people now buying small snack bags that are peanut free. I took my little guy this year (he was barely walking) and someone had little tubs of playdough. It's nice when people do things like that, but really most don't think of it until they're in that kind of situation.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:36 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
My niece still goes, but can't eat much of anything. I've noticed people now buying small snack bags that are peanut free. I took my little guy this year (he was barely walking) and someone had little tubs of playdough. It's nice when people do things like that, but really most don't think of it until they're in that kind of situation.
In terms of halloween, our soon to be 7 yr old boy has gone out every year. We along with neighbors all go together in the neighborhood. At the end of the night....we look over the candy and see what he can have. He is allergic to milk, eggs and peanuts so milk chocolate candies are out (which is the majority), but he can have all the twizzlers, starburts, skittles, pretzel bags he wants. We can buy non-milk chocolate bars at the local grocery so we substitute that. He has never complained....and always has fun.

--Dan

Old 01-12-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
What happened to those Medic Alert bracelets and necklaces that people with life threatening illnesses wear? My mom used to wear one, in case she was ever unconscious or unresponsive, emergency personnel would know what was wrong and what she needed. I think if a child has an allergy that is that severe, they should be required to wear one for their own safety. That way, there can be no mistaking what the problem is and if the epi-pen is appropriate. I sure would get one for my child if she had a life threatening allergy.
Our son wears a band with his allergies , and also we have a tag on his backpack and lunchpack.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post

As for this "There is no cure for food allergies" That is not true, well exactly. Some doctors have started therapy to build up immunities against the allergen by injected into the body (via shots, food, liquid, ect) in small doses and increasing the dose over a period of time depending on the person reacted. I actually have seen two shows about it and was surprised how well a man overcame severe allergy to shellfood

JMHO
For our 7 yr old allergic to milk, eggs, and peanuts, our hope is to build up the immune system so that he can tolerate a little of the allergen without a reaction. It varies so much from child to child, that is why testing regularly is so important. Our son has been going to Allergy Associates in La Crosse Wisconsin every 6 months since about 1 1/2 yrs of age (almost 7 now). He has been taking food and environmental drops 3 x a day since then. The doctor gradually increases the amount of the allergen in the drops each visit. Up until very recently, very limited testing has been available. Mainly from blood work and you got a yes/no answer.... We now know there are in-betweens...some folks are allergic to certain proteins in each food, some proteins are easier to out grow while others are not.

Allergy component testing via Phadia in Michigan is now available (your doctor can send a blood sample to them) and they will send you back a very detailed listing of all the proteins in each food and if you are allergic to it. Cost is 150-200. We had that done last year and for my son, his allergies are to proteins that you dont outgrow. There have been studies which have shown many folks with milk allergies can tolerate baked milk goods. Something about the protein changes when milk is heated. Our son is allergic to casein protein in mlik and that is one that is present in all milk (heated or not). We know his peanuts too, that he is allergic to the most severe risk proteins in peanuts.

Now, what we dont know is his tolerance levels. We know his allergen levels are actually higher now than before we started the treatments. But his tolerance levels (or anti-allergens) in his body we dont know. A test is coming out, our doctor hoped this winter, that will also measure your bodies resistance levels. It can tell us how the food drops are working. We know he will have lifelong allergies, but our goal is to hopefully increase his bodies resistance enough so that say if he does accidentily ingests one peanut he would be ok. Some kids through this method, have actually been able to eat a handful of peanuts with no reaction.

The goal of all parents with allergic kids is knowledge and to seek it out. More and more is being learned, but without proper testing and more importantly accurate test analysis, you may not know enough. Our doctor did think there was too much diagnosis of food allergies, due to improper testing.

Dan

Old 01-12-2012, 09:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
We have a child in our neighborhood who is severely allergic and every year before Halloween his mother takes a picture of him in his costume and sends it out thru the HOA with a reminded that he is trick or treating for an association he belongs to for kids with allergies. They don't really ask us not to give him food but I do appreciate the extra efforts they make to let him participate and to spread the word. I'm sure they are extra vigilant about what he brings home.

And Beneneko, this whole thread has been worth while if only one person has been made aware of this serious problem. I remember a few years back when a teenage girl died after kissing her boyfriend who had eaten a PBJ sandwich an hour before their date. That is how sensitive some people can be.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:14 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
I agree, education is key.

A point of clarification though, the girl you mentioned did not die as a result of a peanut allergy:

And In The End, Peanut Butter Was Not To Blame - Public Eye - CBS News

Old 01-13-2012, 04:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Thanks Zim. Many times we don't get "the rest of the story".

Old 01-13-2012, 04:54 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
This is similar to the argument that all public buildings should have portable defibrilators, but don't, because each one whould need to have a person trained to administer it even though they are easy to use and could save lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting