Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
When the OP says they sit and sneeze and have runny noses and cough and things, some kids are always carrying around cold or like one of the children i care for, is allergic to some animal at her house (which her mother wont get rid of) so she is always runny and gross. She cant stay home all time so how sick is to sick. Obviously throwing up is to sick but what about a cold?
Um, in case you didn't know, allergies are not contagious. Colds are. If the kid is constantly sneezing, nose running, congested, geez, let the kid stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:38 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Exposure to germs doesn't mean exposure to so many germs they automatically get sick (as in being around someone who's sick already). And I think there's much more to a child's health than whether or not you use hand sanitizer. We used it ALL the time when our son was born, for about 6 months. He's 18 months now and he's only been sick once since then (it wasn't immediately after we stopped either). Meanwhile, we have a friend with two kids who keeps a messy house and I'm sure hasn't bought anything close to a sanitizer, and her kids are sick all the time

If nothing else, I agree with the OP because it isn't up to you or your kid when my kid and I "strengthen our immune systems". Let us do it the way we choose, when we choose.
It means exactly that....there are 1000's of different viruses that cause colds. One you have been exposed to those viruses your body develops an immunity to those bugs. Kids get sick more often than adults because they don't have that immunity. If you prevent your 3, 4, 5 year old from getting sick, they will have more colds, catch everything once they start school.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Um, in case you didn't know, allergies are not contagious. Colds are. If the kid is constantly sneezing, nose running, congested, geez, let the kid stay home.
Thanks for the sarcasm, it was greatly appreciated and is a good look on an adult.

Yes I am well aware that allergies are not contagious but a parent sitting across the room from me at library story time doesnt know that my sons nose is running because its a particularly allergy ridden day and assumes i dragged my child out of our house sick.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:36 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Yes I am well aware that allergies are not contagious but a parent sitting across the room from me at library story time doesnt know that my sons nose is running because its a particularly allergy ridden day and assumes i dragged my child out of our house sick.
I've sat in story time with a drippy-nosed child suffering from allergies. You sit off to the side, have a box of kleenex next to you and a paper bag to throw the used ones away in. Then you say, "Sorry, allergies" to all the other parents.

It works wonders. Of course, then you have to listen to them say, "I know, right? My allergies are killing me. I'm full of Zyrtec." I've found that people are very understanding if you give them a simple explanation and use Kleenex.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It means exactly that....there are 1000's of different viruses that cause colds. One you have been exposed to those viruses your body develops an immunity to those bugs. Kids get sick more often than adults because they don't have that immunity. If you prevent your 3, 4, 5 year old from getting sick, they will have more colds, catch everything once they start school.
Not necessarily. As I said, this isn't the only way for your kid to strengthen his/her immune system. So I still disagree that it takes all that just to be healthy later on.

Discouraging parents from sending their kids to school sick is actually a good idea for many reasons, some not so obvious. Let's say we ever get to the point where kids coming to school with a cold is widely accepted. Everyone agrees it's a good idea. What's to tell students, teachers, and parents that kids with cold-like symptoms "only" have a cold and not the flu, or something else that is more serious than a common cold? This is in addition to what I stated earlier, that parents should be the ones to decide when, where, and how their own children strengthen their immune systems.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,662 times
Hand washing! Cough/sneeze on elbow/sleeve.
Consider that some families with allergies and asthma, a common cold that typically may last 3-4 day it will last much longer for them. If my kid is otherwise feeling well, a little medicine and off we go. If there is fever and not displaying "her usual self" then yes, we stay home.
Sometimes a little common sense will dictate what you should do.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
I had a lunch meeting a few days ago, and sitting next to us in a restaurant was a child of about 3 who had a horrendous cough, and streaming green snot. The child was very sweet and friendly, and was talking to me, playing with me, and coughing all over me. I love interacting with children, always do wherever, but I really wondered what these parents must have been thinking.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:42 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
Quote:
I sort of disagree with that argument because a child's immune system gets stronger as they get older and they're gonna be more likely to fight off an infection, not to mention they'll also be more conscious of things like washing hands well and not putting hands in their mouth etc., it's much more difficult with a toddler. More importantly illnesses have the potential to be a lot more dangerous for young kids than for older ones - babies and toddlers are in the high-risk group when it comes to deaths from flu (pneumonia), dehydration from gastro viruses, etc. They're more likely to develop complications, secondary infections, etc. Don't know, I'd rather have a sick 10 year old than a 2 year old. Things like the norovirus or flu are much scarier when it's a really young child.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:47 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
If anything, they should stay home for their kid's own comfort, ESPECIALLY when they're sick. Geesh, some parents can be so crappy.
Oh yeah. Not to mention, one of the biggest reasons I don't drag my kid out to crowded public spaces even with a minor cold is because his immune system is already somewhat compromised so he's more vulnerable to catching some other more serious nastiness on top of that. When you're sick, you need to stay home and rest, whether a kid or an adult. It surprises me that other parents don't seem to give a crap. I won't even start on people dragging out weeks-old newborns into the midst of pre-christmas shopping crowds and the like ...

Old 02-16-2012, 11:53 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Exposing kids to germs at a young age actually boosts their immune system. If a child just has a cold, I don't see the need to isolate them, for something worse than that, yes, stay home. Your hand sanitizer is actually harming your child more than it is helping and "keeping your child healthy" will backfire down the road when he is in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting