Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 03:11 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,827 times

Advertisements

In response to the OP: in my own exp., I have been working, alternating between part-time and full-time depending on school and academic schedules, since I was 15. All of the money I have ever made has gone toward the support of my immediate/non-spousal family and me. In fact, ever since I graduated college, I have been supporting my immediate family nearly 100%, who is financially-dependent on me (due to massive financial losses they incurred during the dot-com and housing bubbles, etc.). Without the financial subsidy I have provided to them, my immediate family members would have literally been out on the street (elderly, retired dependent parent who can no longer work, and sibling who up until very recently was also fully-dependent on me for housing, food, etc. costs). For me, it has largely been a labor of love, though...you take care of those who you love and who love you, when they are hurting and suffering, and when they truly need you...

My point is that the shoe can indeed, at times, be worn on the other foot

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 01-26-2013 at 03:18 AM.. Reason: Clarified language / Edits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 03:15 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
The boomers with trust funds have. to do something with all the money they have though, and some people believe in keeping their money in their family/bloodline. So they give it to their kids. I'm not saying that's soapartment even if wonderful thing, but it's what they want to do with their money, and they have lots of it to blow. They could probably use it in better ways, but I don't think they've thought that hard about it and the kids are just too busy enjoying living high off the hog instead of trying to work hard to continue their fortune.
I knew one chick and her mom paid for her 2k 300 sqf apin Manhattan, the mom had to stop paying her daughters rent due to the fact she had to pay a mortgage for her home in Baltimore which was about half the cost of her daughters closet apartment. She could not afford both. Great power comes great responsibility.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:25 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I knew one chick and her mom paid for her 2k 300 sqf apin Manhattan, the mom had to stop paying her daughters rent due to the fact she had to pay a mortgage for her home in Baltimore which was about half the cost of her daughters closet apartment. She could not afford both. Great power comes great responsibility.
300 Sqf, lol

NYC is crazy!

Old 01-26-2013, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
In response to the OP: in my own exp., I have been working, alternating between part-time and full-time depending on school and academic schedules, since I was 15. All of the money I have ever made has gone toward the support of my immediate/non-spousal family and me. In fact, ever since I graduated college, I have been supporting my immediate family nearly 100%, who is financially-dependent on me (due to massive financial losses they incurred during the dot-com and housing bubbles, etc.). Without the financial subsidy I have provided to them, my immediate family members would have literally been out on the street (elderly, retired dependent parent who can no longer work, and sibling who up until very recently was also fully-dependent on me for housing, food, etc. costs). For me, it has largely been a labor of love, though...you take care of those who you love and who love you, when they are hurting and suffering, and when they truly need you...

While most people rail on welfare recipients, I have a friend who has a different perspective. Call it cruel or amusing, whichever you choose. He thinks we should just kill off all the elderly people because he feels that they are a real drain on our society/economy. He feels that kids are future tax payers and should be supported and nurtured but the elderly are just useless drains and should go.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:47 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,475 times
I guess he plans to stop time when he is around 50ish?

Quote:
While most people rail on welfare recipients, I have a friend who has a different perspective. Call it cruel or amusing, whichever you choose. He thinks we should just kill off all the elderly people because he feels that they are a real drain on our society/economy. He feels that kids are future tax payers and should be supported and nurtured but the elderly are just useless drains and should go.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
I guess he plans to stop time when he is around 50ish?
He thinks he's going to die an early death anyway. Not sure why, I don't think he will. He probably wouldn't mind if somebody killed him, he's kind of morbid and dramatic.

Last edited by srjth; 01-26-2013 at 04:16 AM..

Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,827 times
Quote:
Lol...I personally don't mind hypothetically paying more in taxes from my own earnings, to ensure that the needs of those who are in such categories as the elderly, poor, disabled, etc. are taken care of The elderly population is a treasured and vital, integral part of society, and should be allowed to live and thrive until they pass on normally, from natural causes. I see a society that cares for its elderly as one of the better, kinder, and more gentler, nobler sides of humanity

Old 01-26-2013, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Lol...I personally don't mind hypothetically paying more in taxes from my own earnings, to ensure that the needs of those who are in such categories as the elderly, poor, disabled, etc. are taken care of The elderly population is a treasured and vital, integral part of society, and should be allowed to live and thrive until they pass on normally, from natural causes. I see a society that cares for its elderly as one of the better, kinder, and more gentler, nobler sides of humanity
Ideally, BOTH parents would take care of their own kids financially, without tax subsidies, and we all pay higher taxes to care for the elderly and disabled.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:46 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:

Wait a minute, that makes no sense. You are about 40 now? So you have been supporting your "elderly, retired dependent" parent and your deadbeat unemployed sibling for 25 years? I doubt you can blame 25 years of abject destitution on the dot com or housing bubbles. Ever get the feeling you are being used?

Old 01-26-2013, 07:54 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
The only thing I do not really understand is enabling it. I can understand an adult child down on their luck who needs temprary help. However, to give a free ride to an adult child enabling them to be a freeloader makes little sense. My in-laws have a situation like this too, so I see it right in my family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting