Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:33 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
That's what I've seen/heard - the person has mental health issues that preclude them from being productive citizens. Sad, really.
Must be the 47% of Americans who don't pay taxes have Mental Illness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 02:34 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzyteBob View Post
If you work in a family business, it also limits your dating opportunities both because of the hours you work and your limited interaction with dateable prospects. Also, there is something to be said about how compatible someone who is his own boss is with someone who works in a cubicle.
Agreed. It reminds me of My Big Fat Greek Wedding where she worked all the time in her family's business and was still single. This is so true in most of the family owned businesses I have run across because it is hard to meet someone.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Quote:
There's a black guy in my subdivision who has one of those on his front porch. I'm not joking.
I like people with a sense of humor. Somehow, it wouldn't fly on a white guy's porch.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Agreed. It reminds me of My Big Fat Greek Wedding where she worked all the time in her family's business and was still single. This is so true in most of the family owned businesses I have run across because it is hard to meet someone.
The whole deal with her is that she went through a big transformation, looks-wise. I've seen that movie. The most annoying person was the girl's aunt who pestered her more about her marital status than her own parents. Even worse were the guy's parents. One of the few scenes I remember is when the girl's brothers were teaching the boyfriend Greek and instructed him on how to say 'I have three testicles,' or something like that. Had she looked like what she transformed into earlier in her life, her initial (almost) depressed demeanor would not have been the issue that it was, and she would have had attention ... Greek or otherwise.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
300 Sqf, lol

NYC is crazy!

That's nothing, come downtown - it is not uncommon to have 4 guys/gals to an apartment paying $5K+ - cheaper this way than if you had to rent on your own, because living in the outer boroughs is so not "hip"

Old 01-26-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
The whole deal with her is that she went through a big transformation, looks-wise. I've seen that movie. The most annoying person was the girl's aunt who pestered her more about her marital status than her own parents. Even worse were the guy's parents. One of the few scenes I remember is when the girl's brothers were teaching the boyfriend Greek and instructed him on how to say 'I have three testicles,' or something like that. Had she looked like what she transformed into earlier in her life, her initial (almost) depressed demeanor would not have been the issue that it was, and she would have had attention ... Greek or otherwise.
In the before she was wearing drabby looking browns - everything was brown, including those ugly looking eyeglasses. But don't worry, a little Windex will cure all the problems.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
That's nothing, come downtown - it is not uncommon to have 4 guys/gals to an apartment paying $5K+ - cheaper this way than if you had to rent on your own, because living in the outer boroughs is so not "hip"
If I lived in New York, I'd live as far out in Queens, in a nicer neighborhood, as was possible, cool or not. I like some of those neighborhoods abutting Long Island, with a lot of brick. In that way, NYC is a lot like LA or SF. There's a lot of emphasis on what's cool and being "in the know." With one visit with a HS friend who went to Columbia and stayed in NYC, I learned:
- a BBQ - a resident of Brooklyn, Bronx or Queens
- B&T crowd - Bridge and Tunnel crowd, residents of anywhere other than Manhattan

Old 01-26-2013, 03:08 PM

211 posts, read 172,388 times
Quote:
If you remember the end of the movie, her father built a house for her next to his ... or did she get the big house with her dad moving into the smaller one? Same concept as adding floors to the home like they do in Greece, Macedonia, Serbia, Bulgaria, etc. My brother lives in a subdivision with both sets of aunts/uncles. So, again part of this is cultural sometimes.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:10 PM

211 posts, read 172,388 times
As we've discussed in my week or so here, so many of these other so-called "rules" are often BS. Why should this rule about unmarried kids living at home be any different?

Old 01-26-2013, 04:37 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
If you work in a family business, it also limits your dating opportunities both because of the hours you work and your limited interaction with dateable prospects. Also, there is something to be said about how compatible someone who is his own boss is with someone who works in a cubicle.
Why would working in a family business be any different than working in a non-family business? The pool of clients wouldn't be any different. Interaction with other businesses, suppliers, attendance of relevant conferences, etc. wouldn't be any different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting