Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:40 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Right here:
Four in 10 children are born to unwed mothers

I know it's from the Heritage Foundation but the stats are from the census bureau.

The question was not about the number of abortions, and your second link simply shows that births to single mothers have increased significantly.

LOL the fact that you had to post this is crazy. They know that children are being born out of wedlock at a higher rate, and I wasn't going to dignify their silly notion that it wasn't by posting research to "prove" what we all know to be true. Kudos to you for doing so.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:44 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No, they aren't taking you seriously. You don't have a clue about young women's lives. I am 69 years old and female. I know a lot about this subject.

Yeah, women had children both in and out of marriage. No one talked about the ones out of wedlock and the women were sent away and gave the children up to closed adoptions. Some also had children they resented in marriages and those kids often ended up abused. Interesting that you don't understand that the statistics from those days were not accurate.

I don't tend to respond to those I don't take seriously.

Yes when pregnant girls out of wedlock got pregnant down here in the south they were sent up north. If premarital sex was happening at the rate that it is now...nearly half of our women back then would have had to be sent up north.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:47 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
I don't tend to respond to those I don't take seriously.

Yes when pregnant girls out of wedlock got pregnant down here in the south they were sent up north. If premarital sex was happening at the rate that it is now...nearly half of our women back then would have had to be sent up north.
Heck we lived in NY outside of NYC and my cousin was sent out of town for the out of wedlock birth. When she returned, the child was her *little sister.* She actually got married to a different man, had 3 kids with him, but her out of wedlock dd was abused by him, so she was brought up by the grandparents. Another cousin had a shotgun wedding. I don't know how many others had similar things in our little town because girls who got pregnant dropped out of high school and were sent away to have their babies. These babies were either adopted or the girls had illegal abortions (this was in the late 50s and early 60s).

Old 07-01-2014, 12:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
LOL the fact that you had to post this is crazy. They know that children are being born out of wedlock at a higher rate, and I wasn't going to dignify their silly notion that it wasn't by posting research to "prove" what we all know to be true. Kudos to you for doing so.
Yes, I was just thinking that it is crazy that people would be posting in such a conversation w/o knowing this information.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:54 PM
PJA

Quote:
Heck we lived in NY outside of NYC and my cousin was sent out of town for the out of wedlock birth. When she returned, the child was her *little sister.* She actually got married to a different man, had 3 kids with him, but her out of wedlock dd was abused by him, so she was brought up by the grandparents. Another cousin had a shotgun wedding. I don't know how many others had similar things in our little town because girls who got pregnant dropped out of high school and were sent away to have their babies. These babies were either adopted or the girls had illegal abortions (this was in the late 50s and early 60s).

Yes I have heard of those stories happening too. But because its so common now for girls and women to have kids out of wedlock, this wouldn't happen today. Most people (myself included) engage or have engaged in premarital sex in todays society but I wouldn't look down on someone or say something is wrong with them just because they are sticking to old-fashioned values.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Yes I have heard of those stories happening too. But because its so common now for girls and women to have kids out of wedlock, this wouldn't happen today. Most people (myself included) engage or have engaged in premarital sex in todays society but I wouldn't look down on someone or say something is wrong with them just because they are sticking to old-fashioned values.
Most of the women having out of wedlock pregnancies today are adults - teen pregnancy is down.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:57 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Kids "rebel" (doing something the parents don't necessarily like or approve of) for all sorts of reasons and it's not just limited to the style of parenting they had either.

Most of the rebelling I've heard of is nothing more than one person (the child) not being a clone of another person (the parent). I can tell you I've dealt with that myself and it's frustrating! But I've learned to let most things go, not all, but most.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:57 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Most of the women having out of wedlock pregnancies today are adults - teen pregnancy is down.
As is the age of first sex

Old 07-01-2014, 01:00 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,253,074 times
Quote:

and still in a commuted relationship

"A key change in marital status patterns has been the large increase
in cohabitation or living together among unmarried couples (5, 6). In
the years 1980 84, 29 percent of out-of-wedlock births were to cohab-
iting couples; by 1990-94, this proportion increased to 39 percent,
according to data from NCHS

National Survey of Family Growth
(NSFG) and the National Survey of Families and Households (5). Most
of the increase in births to unmarried women since the early 1980s was
in births to unmarried cohabiting women; nearly all of this increase was
among non-Hispanic white women"

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr48/nvs48_16.pdf

So while children born out of wedlock is "up" There is still a family around the child, and not a single parent raising them

Old 07-01-2014, 01:00 PM
PJA

Quote:

Yeah its down compared to a few years ago but definitely not compared to a few decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting