Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 11:29 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
How can you really define what a healthy marriage is?
Well one that ends in divorce is definitely not healthy...and the divorce rate is a lot higher than it used to be.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:33 AM
PJA

Quote:
People experimented in the past, no different than today. The belief that people all waited for sex until marriage in the past is a modern fantasy. People were sneaking out and getting off in the past just the same as today. The only different might be that the lack of options forced a lot of young lovers to marry when accidents happen, or that young relationships didn't have the same casual support given by parents today.

People didn't experiment no where near to the degree that it is done today. In fact it was abnormal to behave in such ways and you would be considered a "*****" if you were a woman or a "whoremonger" if you were a man. Sure there were those who did it quietly but without abortion as we have it today, you were forced to be more careful and responsible. Technology is making it easier and easier for people to be less sexually responsible to the point where now said behavior is normal when it didn't used to be. And those few who choose to live the "old-fashioned" way are criticized or looked at as weird. And we wonder why teens are having sex...many of them are peer pressured into kind of like how you guys are doing adults. When I worked in the school system (high school), those, especially boys who were not sexually active were called homosexuals and other derogatory terms because they didn't engage in the "normal" behavior other boys were engaged in.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:33 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Well one that ends in divorce is definitely not healthy...and the divorce rate is a lot higher than it used to be.
Divorce was almost impossible to get in the past due to the draconian standards one needed to get one. Who said a divorce is not a healthy option? If you can't manage to live as a couple is forcing people to live together and be miserable really healthy?

Old 07-01-2014, 11:38 AM
PJA

Quote:
Divorce was almost impossible to get in the past due to the draconian standards one needed to get one. Who said a divorce is not a healthy option? If you can't manage to live as a couple is forcing people to live together and be miserable really healthy?
I didn't say it wasn't a healthy option...but obviously the marriage is no longer healthy if one is seeking a divorce or if divorce is the only "healthy" option.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
People didn't experiment no where near to the degree that it is done today. In fact it was abnormal to behave in such ways and you would be considered a "*****" if you were a woman or a "whoremonger" if you were a man. Sure there were those who did it quietly but without abortion as we have it today, you were forced to be more careful and responsible. Technology is making it easier and easier for people to be less sexually responsible to the point where now said behavior is normal when it didn't used to be.
I disagree, I have talked to a few older people who have told me it went on fairly often when they were younger. While that doesn't mean they frequently were able to engage like that it does mean it was not abnormal for most people everyone to have some experiences prior to marriage. Human biological urges are rarely influenced by societal standards. Even teens today do not "get down" all the time contrary to popular opinion. There usually isn't enough time or alone time to make it an incredibly regular event.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't a healthy option...but obviously the marriage is no longer healthy if one is seeking a divorce or if divorce is the only "healthy" option.

You said "divorce is defiantly not healthy".

Old 07-01-2014, 11:47 AM
PJA

Quote:
You said "divorce is defiantly not healthy".
If the marriage were healthy then there would be no need for a divorce.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
If the marriage were healthy then there would be no need for a divorce.
Most of those marriages in the past would qualify as not being healthy was my point. The divorce laws only gave a very limited amount of standards one could get to have one. So it's not so much that people are taking marriage less serious today as people in the past were often stuck with no way to get out.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:52 AM
PJA

Quote:
I disagree, I have talked to a few older people who have told me it went on fairly often when they were younger. While that doesn't mean they frequently were able to engage like that it does mean it was not abnormal for most people everyone to have some experiences prior to marriage. Human biological urges are rarely influenced by societal standards. Even teens today do not "get down" all the time contrary to popular opinion. There usually isn't enough time or alone time to make it an incredibly regular event.
People have always had premarital sex...I never said otherwise...it was just nowhere near as prevalent as it is now nor was it accepted like it is now. Also it was viewed as abnormal while the normal thing was to wait for marriage. If it were as prevalent back then as it were now, there would have been a lot more out of wedlock children back in those days. Almost half the children born nowadays are born out of wedlock so its becoming more of the norm as is premarital sex.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:54 AM
PJA

Quote:
Most of those marriages in the past would qualify as not being healthy was my point. The divorce laws only gave a very limited amount of standards one could get to have one. So it's not so much that people are taking marriage less serious today as people in the past were often stuck with no way to get out.

Those standards changed long before divorce rates started to soar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting