Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 02:30 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Sources?

Trends in Teen Pregnancy and Childbearing - The Office of Adolescent Health

Trends in Teen Pregnancy and Childbearing - The Office of Adolescent Health

Teenage pregnancy in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

U.S. Teen Pregnancy Rate At Lowest Level In Nearly 40 Years

Last edited by Jaded; 07-04-2014 at 01:52 AM.. Reason: Copyright violation

Old 07-01-2014, 02:38 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Right here:
Four in 10 children are born to unwed mothers

I know it's from the Heritage Foundation but the stats are from the census bureau.

The question was not about the number of abortions, and your second link simply shows that births to single mothers have increased significantly.
This study shows that abstinence only training ends up leading to more teen pregnancies. I've heard the same thing from other sources, and it's definitely true in my own family.

Abstinence-only education does not lead to abstinent behavior, UGA researchers find | UGA Today

And I agree that children are better off with two parents than being born "by accident" to one parent.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:46 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
This study shows that abstinence only training ends up leading to more teen pregnancies. I've heard the same thing from other sources, and it's definitely true in my own family.

Abstinence-only education does not lead to abstinent behavior, UGA researchers find | UGA Today

And I agree that children are better off with two parents than being born "by accident" to one parent.

I believe there is a difference between school taught abstinence than parents teaching it to their children. (IMO its not the schools responsibility) I have seen in my own family where parents who were lax were most likely be grandparents to children of teens than those that were not. Also abstinence among teens is actually increasing, so it appears that abstinence is the cause for the lower birth rate among teens...not safe sex. Of course nothing is ever going to work 100% because at the end of the day, teens are people with their own will.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
and still in a commuted relationship

"A key change in marital status patterns has been the large increase
in cohabitation or living together among unmarried couples (5, 6). In
the years 1980 84, 29 percent of out-of-wedlock births were to cohab-
iting couples; by 1990-94, this proportion increased to 39 percent,
according to data from NCHS

National Survey of Family Growth
(NSFG) and the National Survey of Families and Households (5). Most
of the increase in births to unmarried women since the early 1980s was
in births to unmarried cohabiting women; nearly all of this increase was
among non-Hispanic white women"

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr48/nvs48_16.pdf

So while children born out of wedlock is "up" There is still a family around the child, and not a single parent raising them
And I don't see anything wrong with that. As long as the parents are there and being responsible, who cares if they have the marriage certificate?

Old 07-01-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
I believe there is a difference between school taught abstinence than parents teaching it to their children. (IMO its not the schools responsibility) I have seen in my own family where parents who were lax were most likely be grandparents to children of teens than those that were not. Also abstinence among teens is actually increasing, so it appears that abstinence is the cause for the lower birth rate among teens...not safe sex. Of course nothing is ever going to work 100% because at the end of the day, teens are people with their own will.
I think it really needs to be taught in school because so many parents just don't do it. My parents never mentioned anything about sex to me. I plan to have in-depth discussions with my kids on the subject.

But to be quite honest, I wouldn't recommend waiting until marriage for sex. I've heard stories of women who did and then had horrible sex lives because they really didn't even understand sex, or what they wanted sexually. And from men wh ended up with wives they turned out not to be sexually compatible with. Of course there are people who are virgins on their wedding night and everything works out fine. But I personally want a few test drives before I sign on the dotted line so I know everything is working well

Old 07-01-2014, 02:55 PM
PJA

Quote:
I think it really needs to be taught in school because so many parents just don't do it. My parents never mentioned anything about sex to me. I plan to have in-depth discussions with my kids on the subject.

But to be quite honest, I wouldn't recommend waiting until marriage for sex. I've heard stories of women who did and then had horrible sex lives because they really didn't even understand sex, or what they wanted sexually. And from men wh ended up with wives they turned out not to be sexually compatible with. Of course there are people who are virgins on their wedding night and everything works out fine. But I personally want a few test drives before I sign on the dotted line so I know everything is working well

It all boils down to parents not doing their jobs, so the schools has to do it. I still think its best for the parents to do it but can understand the need for the school system to get involved because a lot of parents are not doing it for whatever reason. Ultimately I think its the parents responisibility to raise and take care of their child but the government has to step in and pick up the parents slack in a lot of areas.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
It all boils down to parents not doing their jobs, so the schools has to do it. I still think its best for the parents to do it but can understand the need for the school system to get involved because a lot of parents are not doing it for whatever reason. Ultimately I think its the parents responisibility to raise and take care of their child but the government has to step in and pick up the parents slack in a lot of areas.
Exactly!

My goal is for my children to get their college education and not have unwanted pregnancies or abortions. I'm pretty sure I'm not outside the norm on that. And education is a big key.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:02 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Quote:
I don't think many parents are up to the challenge of teaching abstinence. Those that feel it is the best way tend to believe it due to religious dogma. Teens are less willing to accept absolutes. There has to be irrefutable common sense to make an impact.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:

I did not bring up abstinence education and I think most of it is nutty. K?

Old 07-01-2014, 06:26 PM

483 posts, read 670,216 times
Quote:
They sure did. I know all about the coat hanger abortions......still wasn't as common as regular abortions are now.

But getting back to my original point....a woman or man shouldn't be made to feel like they are abnormal because they aren't having sex.

Abortions were extremely common back in the day. Birth control was not widely available and childbirth was dangerous. about 800,000 were one in the 30's, and the population then was much lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting