Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:19 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
There are also a lot more people in the world not, so you can't just go by numbers, you have to go by percentages.

Right and the percentages are higher. Nearly half of children born today are born out of wedlock. And this is very prevalent among blacks with nearly 76 percent being born out of wedlock when it wasn't anywhere near that before.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:20 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I wouldn't say it's abnormal to wait to have sex, however it's a bit odd when someone who is 28 has never been in a relationship. I think that usually is going to signal some sort of issue. Even people who want to wait usually still date.

I can definitely see that point.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:27 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,253,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Right and the percentages are higher. Nearly half of children born today are born out of wedlock.
Where is your proof of that

Old 07-01-2014, 12:29 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Come now are you really that out of touch with reality that you don't know that children being born out of wedlock and abortions are higher than they were years ago? Do I really need to post statistics to show this?
The statistics from the 1940s and 50s were not kept. Abortions were illegal, so girls went to illegal butchers or tried falling down stairs or other *natural* methods of aborting.

HISTORY OF ABORTION

Quote:
In the 1890s, doctors estimated that there were two million abortions a year in the U.S. (compared with one and a half million today). Women who are determined not to carry an unwanted pregnancy have always found some way to try to abort. All too often, they have resorted to dangerous, sometimes deadly methods, such as inserting knitting needles or coat hangers into the vagina and uterus, douching with dangerous solutions like lye, or swallowing strong drugs or chemicals. The coat hanger has become a symbol of the desperation of millions of women who have risked death to end a pregnancy. When these attempts harmed them, it was hard for women to obtain medical treatment; when these methods failed, women still had to find an abortionist.
Quote:
In the 1950s, about a million illegal abortions a year were performed in the U.S., and over a thousand women died each year as a result. Women who were victims of botched or unsanitary abortions came in desperation to hospital emergency wards, where some died of widespread abdominal infections. Many women who recovered from such infections found themselves sterile or chronically and painfully ill. The enormous emotional stress often lasted a long time.
An Analysis of Out-Of-Wedlock Births in the United States | Brookings Institution

Old 07-01-2014, 12:32 PM
PJA

Quote:
If I'm wrong prove otherwise. I came here to post and converse not do research for you...if you don't believe what I say then YOU go and find the proof to disprove me.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:33 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The statistics from the 1940s and 50s were not kept. Abortions were illegal, so girls went to illegal butchers or tried falling down stairs or other *natural* methods of aborting.

HISTORY OF ABORTION

An Analysis of Out-Of-Wedlock Births in the United States | Brookings Institution
They sure did. I know all about the coat hanger abortions......still wasn't as common as regular abortions are now.

But getting back to my original point....a woman or man shouldn't be made to feel like they are abnormal because they aren't having sex.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:34 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,253,074 times
Quote:
If I'm wrong prove otherwise. I came here to post and converse not do research for you...if you don't believe what I say then YOU go and find the proof to disprove me.
It doesn't work like that. You cant just make a statement an wish it were true. If you want any one to take you seriously you need to prove your self correct. I don't need to prove you wrong.

Quote:
But getting back to my original point....a woman or man shouldn't be made to feel like they are abnormal because they aren't having sex.
Right, but being 28 and never being in a relationship or kissed a member of the opposite(or same sex if it fits) is abnormal. You can be in a relationship with out sex.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:35 PM
PJA

Quote:
It doesn't work like that. You cant just make a statement an wish it were true. If you want any one to take you seriously you need to prove your self correct. I don't need to prove you wrong.

People are taking me seriously ...you may not be and I could really care less. I don't feel the need to ask everyone to prove what they say so I don't feel that I should unless I want to.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Right here:
Four in 10 children are born to unwed mothers

I know it's from the Heritage Foundation but the stats are from the census bureau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

HISTORY OF ABORTION

The question was not about the number of abortions, and your second link simply shows that births to single mothers have increased significantly.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:38 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
People are taking me seriously...you may not be and I could really care less.
No, they aren't taking you seriously. You don't have a clue about young women's lives. I am 69 years old and female. I know a lot about this subject.

Yeah, women had children both in and out of marriage. No one talked about the ones out of wedlock and the women were sent away and gave the children up to closed adoptions. Some also had children they resented in marriages and those kids often ended up abused. Interesting that you don't understand that the statistics from those days were not accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting