Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:01 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,163,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Anyone who's 28 and never even been "kissed" is abnormal, if you ask me. That indicates to me that the person has some sort of issue with intimacy, self image, or something else.
Correct. I wouldn't go so far as to dub them "abnormal", as that's a bit more harsh than I think you're going for, but definitely outside of the realm of what's considered conventional and healthy, sure.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Abnormal by todays standards, yes. But people years ago got along fine without having to experiment with multiple partners and so to say that this is harmful to someone who still chooses to live that way is overreaching.
You are still stuck in the past and are unwilling to let it go. We aren't living years ago, we're living today. And what are the statistics you're using for your "years ago" argument, anyways? "Years ago" were the 1960s, Woodstock and free love.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
People have always had premarital sex...I never said otherwise...it was just nowhere near as prevalent as it is now nor was it accepted like it is now. Also it was viewed as abnormal while the normal thing was to wait for marriage. If it were as prevalent back then as it were now, there would have been a lot more out of wedlock children back in those days. Almost half the children born nowadays are born out of wedlock so its becoming more of the norm as is premarital sex.
Either you back your claims up with statistics or you risk becoming another Stan...

Old 07-01-2014, 12:11 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
People have always had premarital sex...I never said otherwise...it was just nowhere near as prevalent as it is now nor was it accepted like it is now. Also it was viewed as abnormal while the normal thing was to wait for marriage. If it were as prevalent back then as it were now, there would have been a lot more out of wedlock children back in those days. Almost half the children born nowadays are born out of wedlock so its becoming more of the norm as is premarital sex.
There were very few because it was not uncommon for the couple to then get married or the girl to put the child up for adoption back then. There was also very little social support structure to have a single parent raise a child which limited options. So I dare say that that bears little proof on the view that people were having sex less back than. It might not of been accepted that is true, but it most likely happened at the same rate as today.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:11 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Either you back your claims up with statistics or you risk becoming another Stan...

Come now are you really that out of touch with reality that you don't know that children being born out of wedlock and abortions are higher than they were years ago? Do I really need to post statistics to show this?

Old 07-01-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Those standards changed long before divorce rates started to soar.

What are you even talking about?

Old 07-01-2014, 12:13 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,253,074 times
Quote:
Come now are you really that out of touch with reality that you don't know that children being born out of wedlock and abortions are higher than they were years ago? Do I really need to post statistics to show this?

There are also a lot more people in the world not, so you can't just go by numbers, you have to go by percentages.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:14 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
You are still stuck in the past and are unwilling to let it go. We aren't living years ago, we're living today. And what are the statistics you're using for your "years ago" argument, anyways? "Years ago" were the 1960s, Woodstock and free love.

I'm not unwilling to let anything go. My whole entire point is what is so abnormal about someone not having sex just because everyone else is doing it? Especially when years ago same behavior (waiting til marriage) was considered normal. If something is wrong with the 28 year old now for waiting...then something must have been wrong will all of those others in the past who did the same thing.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:

We have no accurate picture on abortions in the past due to the legality issue and the lack of reporting on the subject. It some areas I'm sure it was on par with levels today however. Less access =/= translate into less abortions we have found over the years. However, given we have no real data on the subject from that time period I didn't include that as a thing that was done when girls back then got pregnant.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I'm not unwilling to let anything go. My whole entire point is what is so abnormal about someone not having sex just because everyone else is doing it? Especially when years ago same behavior (waiting til marriage) was considered normal. If something is wrong with the 28 year old now for waiting...then something must have been wrong will all of those others in the past who did the same thing.

I wouldn't say it's abnormal to wait to have sex, however it's a bit odd when someone who is 28 has never been in a relationship. I think that usually is going to signal some sort of issue. Even people who want to wait usually still date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting