Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 10:09 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFormula View Post
Asians do it.... Arabs do it...So do East Indian cultures.

It's perfectly fine to raise your child on strict values. At least that way you know that you have given them all the valuable information they need to survive and there will be no need to "explore". and definitely no repressed desires because they'' never miss what they never had.

This idea of "exploring" is what leads kids astray. and when that happens, the Parents are blamed anyway, so why not teach them strictly so they won't embarrass you later? or worse get themselves killed or thrown in prison trying to "explore"?

Only in American culture do Parents drop the ball and allow their kids to "explore".
I don't agree with being extremely strict. I certainly wouldn't tell my kids, "hey, now that you're 21, let's go explore the local pot shop and liquor store". My goal is to teach them to think critically, analyze the world around them, learn to make decisions for themselves based on the values we teach them. I'm trying to teach my kids, at age 6, to make decisions for themselves. Little decisions, of course, where I don't care which way they choose. But when you make every decision for your kid and keep them on a tight leash, they end up as teenagers who look to their peers to make decisionis for them. And that just leads to trouble. For instance, I let them decide what to wear each day. If they choose clothes that don't match and kids at school point that out to them, then they learn a lesson and choose matching clothes next time. Or ask for help, if they want me to help them choose clothes that match.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Yes its normal for people by this age to have had multiple partners, multiple kids or abortions and sometimes multiple marriages, and a STD scare or two.
There's a big difference between being 28 and having had 1, 2 or 3 relationships that were sexual, and having no self respect or responsibility and getting STDs and having abortions

People marry later in life these days, but most "normal" people do have a few committed, sexual relationships prior to marriage. You can do that in a responsible manner.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Oh, get off it. You can have a normal, "traditional" life with multiple partners (what's wrong with that? moreover, we're talking about someone who hasn't ever been kissed, never mind had sex, so "partners" is a bit early to talk about) and without all the unfortunate by-products of that. What you're describing (the emphasized) also isn't, for lack of better terms, "normal".
Anyone who's 28 and never even been "kissed" is abnormal, if you ask me. That indicates to me that the person has some sort of issue with intimacy, self image, or something else.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Anyone who's 28 and never even been "kissed" is abnormal, if you ask me. That indicates to me that the person has some sort of issue with intimacy, self image, or something else.
My friend's daughter, who I mentioned upthread, is very shy according to her mother. I don't know about "never been kissed", but she didn't have a boyfriend until 25 or 26.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:12 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is hardly unusual to marry one's high school or college sweetheart and not have had a slew of partners.

It's pretty unusual from my experience. I have met some people my age who have done that but they are the exception not the rule.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:20 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Abnormal by todays standards, yes. But people years ago got along fine without having to experiment with multiple partners and so to say that this is harmful to someone who still chooses to live that way is overreaching.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFormula View Post
Asians do it.... Arabs do it...So do East Indian cultures.

It's perfectly fine to raise your child on strict values. At least that way you know that you have given them all the valuable information they need to survive and there will be no need to "explore". and definitely no repressed desires because they'' never miss what they never had.

This idea of "exploring" is what leads kids astray. and when that happens, the Parents are blamed anyway, so why not teach them strictly so they won't embarrass you later? or worse get themselves killed or thrown in prison trying to "explore"?

Only in American culture do Parents drop the ball and allow their kids to "explore".
You know this because?

Old 07-01-2014, 11:22 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
It's pretty unusual from my experience. I have met some people my age who have done that but they are the exception not the rule.

This used to be a lot more prevalent. We had healthier marriages and less baby daddy and child support issues back then too. Things have definitely changed.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Abnormal by todays standards, yes. But people years ago got along fine without having to experiment with multiple partners and so to say that this is harmful to someone who still chooses to live that way is overreaching.
People experimented in the past, no different than today. The belief that people all waited for sex until marriage in the past is a modern fantasy. People were sneaking out and getting off in the past just the same as today. The only different might be that the lack of options forced a lot of young lovers to marry when accidents happen, or that young relationships didn't have the same casual support given by parents today.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
This used to be a lot more prevalent. We had healthier marriages and less baby daddy and child support issues back then too. Things have definitely changed.
How can you really define what a healthy marriage is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.