Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 01:04 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Good Lord, this is child abuse..
The concrete gets to 150 degrees or more on that type day, which is hot enough to cause
blistering .....
That was years ago, not anytime recently at all. Regardless, if that had been any sort of risk, of course I wouldn't have done it. No such thing happened. That wasn't the point (and had it been the point, then yes, I would agree that would've crossed the line.) The point is that it was apt to hurt--not injure, but hurt--and that such hurt, especially since it was due to his foolishness, would be, due to the association between the choice and the outcome, far more effective than continuous nagging.

It reminds me of when John Rosemond, in one of his books, advised one of his writers to stop tying their child's shoes for them. The child was capable, that wasn't the issue, the issue was that they were content to let mommy do it for them and wouldn't stop until they were allowed to experience the consequences of not tying their shoes. A faceplant from a trip was the only way for them to get the message. Did it hurt? Yes, it did, but we're not talking SERIOUS hurt (like whippings etc), and there were no injuries. It also reminds me of a driver ed's teacher I knew who had a student who kept driving on the wrong side of the road even after being told. It was finally cured for good when the instructor instead choose to say nothing and allowed their student to have a close call.

Same idea here.

Last edited by shyguylh; 10-14-2014 at 01:16 AM..

Old 10-14-2014, 06:30 AM

14 posts, read 17,601 times
We are in Scotland and believe me, winters are VERY COLD here so in order for her to be warm, I insist on her zipping her coat, if she wants to or not but in winter she tends to want it zipped but still wants it done for her.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:25 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna02 View Post
We are in Scotland and believe me, winters are VERY COLD here so in order for her to be warm, I insist on her zipping her coat, if she wants to or not but in winter she tends to want it zipped but still wants it done for her.
Do you still wipe her bum after she goes to the loo?

I bet (and hope) the answer is no. She can only learn to zip her own coat if you stop zipping it for her.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:31 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Uncomfortable cold, not life threatening cold. Let it go. Ignore any whining.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:07 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
If you're sure she's able to zip up the coat, just let it go. When she's cold enough, she'll zip it up. Ignore the whining.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:24 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
She whines though so to stop the whinging, I zip the coat. I know that is wrong but it is easier than listening to her complaints.
I think I know where your daughter gets it from. Jeez. Let her freeze till she learns to zip her own dang coat.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:28 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
My 7yr old daughter Erin is bad for coming out of School on days that its cold with her coat unzipped. When I ask her to "zip up your coat", she says "you do it" but she is perfectly capable of doing it for herself, I get sick of having to zip it up everyday just because she is to lazy to do it by herself.

She is fussy about coats, she will only wear Regatta coats that MUST have zips, she hates coats that have buttons or toggles.

So, how can I get her zipping her coat by herself (she can do it but is to lazy)? She is very independent apart from this and liking to hold my hand evetytime we go out.

Why in the world would she have to zip her own coat when you do it for her?

She is fussy about whatever she is fussy about because you allow her to be that way.

Learn how to be a parent and quit allowing your child to run your household.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:32 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
I will probably keep zipping for her until she is about 10.

On numerous occasions I have said to her "until your coat is zipped, we stay here, and if that means missing your favourite cartoons then so be it!", that usually does trick but she sulks the whole way to School or house.

As I have asked, how come she will zip no problem for daddy and teachers but not me, they nag her more than I do?
Then that is the time she goes straight to her room without anything but her bed and clothes in it until she learns to behave and quit sulking because she didn't get her way.
No television, no music, no nothing, well a desk and chair so she can do her homework and no coming out of that room until the attitude has changed and the homework is done.

My Mother quit zipping my coat the moment she taught me how to zip it, after that I automatically zipped it because I was not allowed to disobey my Mother.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:32 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,012,365 times
Don't do it let her to walk in cold that is the only way you can teach her to zip her own coat. I know it is hard to do, some times for us to easy just close it but it does not do any good for her. She is 7 yrs not 7 months. My daughter is 8 and she did her stuff when she was 2. Because I let her to do since she could do something on her own, Now she cook pancakes alone.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:48 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
OP- 7 year old girls like to battle with their mothers in my experience. The arguments I had with my daughter at that age were far worse than those disagreements we had in her teen years.

You really need to learn to pick your battles now. Later it will be much more difficult. Clothing was generally never a battleground at our house provided the clothing was appropriate for the occasion. Doing homework, driving safely (as a teen), and other things were, and are, far more important.

Let her decide to zip her own coat or not. You need to learn to ignore her whining. Take a deep breath, and choose not to respond to the whining. You're rewarding her poor behavior when you respond to it. Look at the big picture. Being cold does not cause illnesses such as the flu or colds. It just makes one cold and uncomfortable. Let her live with the discomfort.

I can't imagine zipping the coat of a 7 year old, let alone a 10 year old as you suggested you might do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting