Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:08 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times

Advertisements

C-D, a very interesting question. I know quite a few here have grown children and more have younger children. What if your child when they become an adult has no interest in dating whatsoever? What if they came to you and said they had no interest in marriage, romantic love, or having children? Would you feel something is wrong with them?

I have no interest in marriage, dating seriously, or having a family. I'm an only child and I don't really discuss my feelings on love with my mother and only talk relationships with very trusted friends. Mom is probably fine with me not having children or not marrying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 11:11 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Honestly, I would be sad. I would also wonder what I did to cause this.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:17 AM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I'm not a parent so I can't answer from that perspective. I do know that my parents never gave me grief about marriage and not having kids either. I think that's probably where most of the "grief" you'd get is from not wanting or having kids.

I come from dysfunctional parents and there were multiple marriages and divorces and the like, so I think that probably shaped their more laid back approach to the whole subject.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:18 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Hey, it's your life. I'd be sad for that child, for my wife and I have a great marriage. I'd hate for them to miss out on the kind of happiness we have. But it's his or her life to live.

Last edited by cpg35223; 02-26-2015 at 11:35 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 11:18 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
C-D, a very interesting question. I know quite a few here have grown children and more have younger children. What if your child when they become an adult has no interest in dating whatsoever? What if they came to you and said they had no interest in marriage, romantic love, or having children? Would you feel something is wrong with them?

I have no interest in marriage, dating seriously, or having a family. I'm an only child and I don't really discuss my feelings on love with my mother and only talk relationships with very trusted friends. Mom is probably fine with me not having children or not marrying.

Not an issue with us, the choices of our children are their choices once they are adults.
I made my choices without their input and they can make their choices without my input.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:20 AM

I wouldn't pressure my sons into anything or make them feel bad about themselves - but inside, I would be very sad and would feel like it was my fault.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:24 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I wouldn't pressure my sons into anything or make them feel bad about themselves - but inside, I would be very sad and would feel like it was my fault.
Why would it have to be your fault necessarily? The way my parents thought, anything you do after 18 is on you and you alone.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Why would it have to be your fault necessarily? The way my parents thought, anything you do after 18 is on you and you alone.
You don't suddenly become a different person when you are 18. You are shaped by everything leading up to that point. I'm not saying I would put pressure on them to change their minds or that I wouldn't be supportive - but I would be very sad inside. Love is the most amazing thing in the world - and for them to shun it or want nothing to do with it would make me wonder what I had done for them to feel this way. It would be one thing if they simply didn't want children or marriage - but to not want love, that's different to me.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:38 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
My own daughter refused all male attention all the way through high school and into uni.

She said she had better things to do.

I think its AWESOME, I didn't have to worry about the stupid things her friends did, nor did she. She would come and tell me about all the teenage dramas and we would have a good laugh.

There were boys around, though, one in particular who I wonder about even now. I think hes in love with her, she's all...meh.....

Old 02-26-2015, 12:40 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:

I would wonder why my child says he doesn't want marriage or dating, yet his actions show him spending a lot of time in an online relationships forum.

You've previously indicated that you're an angry person and you also fear rejection. When are you going to address those issues and develop a healthier mindset? Choices should be out of confidence and certainty in yourself, not fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting