Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 05:49 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,460,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTX3939 View Post
Have people lost their minds?
I mean having a kid is nice but i dont want them
People make it seem like its a damn requirement life
As the momma of 6 and the grandma of 8 I can tell you that I think that anyone that does NOT want children and refuse to have them based on others (including your own parents who WANT grandkids) are NOT selfish, they are RESPONSIBLE and not willing to give into pressure!!!! I APPLAUD anyone who refuses to have children for any reason other than THEY want and are ready to commit to the children they have!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 06:12 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
Reasons not to have children,
Genetic weaknesses toward decease .
Mental instability,
Mental stress.
Lack of economic support.
Lack parenting background , lacking Good parenting in one's own background.
Physical disabilities ,
Lacking trust worthy family support.
commitments that demand too much of one's time. school ,work, ect..
finding a reliable mate.
involvement's with alcohol or drugs or promiscuity.
Dishonesty.
preferences to play .self indulgence,
Exploration and travel,
Military ,
Government employee/agent.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:56 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
I've never had anyone tell me I'm selfish for not having kids or not wanting to have them. I'm 39.

My mother and aunties once cornered me at a family baby shower and encouraged me to be artificially inseminated, however. Totally surreal. Luckily, my mother got herself a Pomeranian and her desire for was muted by having her own adoring creature.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:40 PM

590 posts, read 714,981 times
I think its a very responsible choice to not have kids if you know your not the personality type that can handle them around you 24/7 plus the responsibility. I know a guy from work who, at 18, elected to have a vasectomy. His choice was based on his brutal upbringing and homelife as a kid and he didn't want that to come out as bad parenting if he had a kid. Very wise and responsible person he is IMO.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:05 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Nope, you're no weird or anything. There are plenty of us who don't have kids. I never wanted a baby and people acted like I murdered the Pope! Babies aren't my thing. At this point, in life, having a baby isn't an option and I'm not sad about that! Not one little bit. I've done many things in my I could not have done if I had kids. The travel, cars, houses, etc. If that makes me selfish, oh well....sure beats being like my mother who to this day still says she hates kids - meanwhile she has 3 of them. If people who aren't into kids didn't have them to give into social pressure, they and their children would be better off. Like that nutjob who threw the baby she had just given birth to out of a window and killed the poor thing in NYC. She should never have had a child!

Old 10-01-2015, 08:10 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,619,141 times
Quote:
As the momma of 6 and the grandma of 8 I can tell you that I think that anyone that does NOT want children and refuse to have them based on others (including your own parents who WANT grandkids) are NOT selfish, they are RESPONSIBLE and not willing to give into pressure!!!! I APPLAUD anyone who refuses to have children for any reason other than THEY want and are ready to commit to the children they have!!!!!!!
Paka is right.

Just because everyone seems to think having kids is so great doesn't mean having kids is so great.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:22 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTX3939 View Post
Have people lost their minds?
I mean having a kid is nice but i dont want them
People make it seem like its a damn requirement life
And I've been called selfish for having kids. But guess what? I couldn't give a rip less.

Why do you care? Quit worrying about it.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:25 PM

1,042 posts, read 875,003 times
I absolutely loved raising kids. But if it was not something I passionately wanted, I would have HATED it. don't allow yourself to be pressured.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:29 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Paka is right.

Just because everyone seems to think having kids is so great doesn't mean having kids is so great.
I spent a lot of my life being the "go-to" person among my extended family and some of my friends. I just didn't have enough emotional intelligence to decline the role - it made me feel needed and loved. And ya know what? I'm not even 40 yet and I'm kinda tired, despite having moved away 5 years ago.

I think having kids is probably an awesome experience ON BALANCE, and I actually am a person who genuinely enjoys being around children. But I don't have a partner to co-parent and I have a rather high standard for what I consider good parenting. I watch one of my relatives raising happy, brilliant, sweet and healthy kids, and the amount of work, planning and mindfulness that he and his wife, as a team, put into raising those children is staggering. I'm not equipped to provide the same to any kids I might have in my current situation, and trying to do so would drain the life right out of me.

I will stick to being the "crazy auntie" to my relatives' children

Old 10-01-2015, 10:55 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,572,361 times
I can't believe all you responders are ''taking the bait'' here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting