Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 02:21 PM

1,781 posts, read 956,390 times

Advertisements

Be glad you don't live where I do. I received letters from the homeroom moms this year to contribute $80.00 and $70.00 (5th and 3rd grade respectively). This was for the whole year and covered the Specials teachers also but for the first time I didn't contribute to either class. I decided to just buy the gifts myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 02:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
Be glad you don't live where I do. I received letters from the homeroom moms this year to contribute $80.00 and $70.00 (5th and 3rd grade respectively). This was for the whole year and covered the Specials teachers also but for the first time I didn't contribute to either class. I decided to just buy the gifts myself.
I don't know about your school, but sometimes those collections from the room parents are mainly to pay for the classroom parties for the children, with only a small part of the donation going to gifts for the teachers.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:34 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I don't know about your school, but sometimes those collections from the room parents are mainly to pay for the classroom parties for the children, with only a small part of the donation going to gifts for the teachers.
Has it always been this way?? Course I'm in my mid 60's..and maybe things were more simpler back then...Back then gifts/cards if given to a teacher was strictly a personal thing done by a student (thru parents who followed their child's direction)..and never that I know of did any $$ asked for of my parent's to load any fund by any such "Parent Moms" group????

Yikes..Times has truly changed..even since I raised my 2 sons who are now 37 and 40 respectively....Never got a better to pay Zip??????

Old 12-18-2015, 02:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
Agreed. That's why I give edible gifts, gift cards, and a personalized card to teachers. I refuse to contribute to anyone's clutter. Even with the edible gifts, if it's something they don't eat, it's the thought that counts (they know we thought of them) and they can leave it in the break room for others.
I usually give something like a small box of ruffles or something. I figure, if they don't want it for themselves, they can *gasp* re-gift, and have one less gift they need to buy for someone else.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:16 PM

912 posts, read 915,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Well, seriously, what do you suggest? The gift generally has to be something non-perishable, which leaves out fresh fruit, veggies, meats, etc. Diabetic diets are not as strict these days as they used to be; most diabetics can eat A cookie, A piece of candy, etc. Fruit raises one's blood sugar was well.

With all the dietary restrictions people have imposed on themselves lately (gluten-free, dairy-free, etc w/o a medical reason), it's probably better not to give food at all.
That is your opinion. My food gifts, in addition to gift cards and cards, have been very well received. One even called it the most thoughtful gift she'd ever received (in her case, I knew she liked to cook, and loved veggies, so I gave her a basket of local fresh-farm produce and some condiment pairings).

When I don't know that many specifics, I keep it more general. And if they can't eat it, again, they can re-gift it, put it in the break room, or serve it at their own holiday gathering. You give how you wish, and I will give how I wish. For me, people I don't know well get gift cards and/or food/beverages. I try to tie it to something I do know about them, when possible.

I, of all people, have more food limitations than anyone I possibly know. Yet, I still prefer non-clutter gifts such as experiences, food, gift cards, over clutter. So, to each their own.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I usually give something like a small box of ruffles or something. I figure, if they don't want it for themselves, they can *gasp* re-gift, and have one less gift they need to buy for someone else.
Exactly.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Telling? What does it tell?
That some people are possibly presumptuous (since I never said cookies or candy) and maybe unimaginative (not thinking about the gift receiver, as I try to pick something based on what I do know about the person).

Old 12-18-2015, 03:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
That some people are possibly presumptuous (since I never said cookies or candy) and maybe unimaginative (not thinking about the gift receiver, as I try to pick something based on what I do know about the person).
And you know ALL about each teacher's likes and dislikes? We have lists on file at the office. This year one teacher likes beef jerky and protein shakes. Those make wonderful gifts. without the lists I'd have no clue. I don't have time to hang out and get to know their preferences.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
And you know ALL about each teacher's likes and dislikes? We have lists on file at the office. This year one teacher likes beef jerky and protein shakes. Those make wonderful gifts. without the lists I'd have no clue. I don't have time to hang out and get to know their preferences.
No. Again, I did not say that. You are welcome to try rereading the posts.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
No. Again, I did not say that. You are welcome to try rereading the posts.
I don't have time fo that either! This thread has become ridiculous. We have actual teachers saying no thanks on the gifts, and you saying they're wrong. That makes no sense. I'm glad you are such a wonderfully thoughtful gift giver. The original question was about a gift for a teacher the op doesn't even like. My answer is still no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting