Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2016, 08:14 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Agree, but do it in person. And do it in a friendly non-confrontational manner.

Newspapers end up in the trash. This could be forwarded and forwarded again online.

It's really a shame(I guess I don't understand it) why people think every detail of their lives must be posted online with photos and videos.

I really don't care what you had for lunch.
Most newspapers have their stories and photos online also.

OP, do you know why specifically this bothered you? Is there something in particular you are concerned about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 08:58 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
She said why it bothered her. I can't figure out why some of you don't get that? It's her under aged daughter that was filmed and posted on line without her permission.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:05 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Read this Facebook privacy and kids: Don’t post photos of your kids online.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:13 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
She said why it bothered her. I can't figure out why some of you don't get that? It's her under aged daughter that was filmed and posted on line without her permission.
We "don't get it" because it in reality is no big deal, and moreover in public people have every right to do it, it's established in law.

Unless we've all turned into the Amish (nice people I hear), most of us realize that a photo isn't going to steal your soul. If your boss is reasonable it's not going to cost you a job. Certainly a photo/video like this isn't going to. As the one person said, a person getting his walnuts off on such a photo is no different than having seen your child in person and remembering what he/she looked like, or (in years past) doing so to the underwear department of a Sears/JCPenney catalog, and no actual harm comes to the child either way.

The one person asked "how would you feel if I filmed your child and posted it without asking?" I wouldn't care at all. Some other people would care, but then some people will throw a fit over anything. Yawn.

No disrespect to anyone personally, but this is much ado about nothing. It's based on paranoia and has no other legitimate basis whatsoever. A guy has a child who has a friend, he saw something sweet and he recorded a memory of it. Good for him. His child will appreciate that many years down the road. To spoil all of that over wild hysteria over perceived threats is just altogether unnecessary, and he did nothing disrespectful or inappropriate in the least.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:16 AM

912 posts, read 915,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Right? Plus, it doesn't matter WHY. She is the parent, she makes the rules. Period!

Old 01-13-2016, 09:17 AM

912 posts, read 915,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
We "don't get it" because it in reality is no big deal, and moreover in public people have every right to do it, it's established in law.

Unless we've all turned into the Amish (nice people I hear), most of us realize that a photo isn't going to steal your soul. If your boss is reasonable it's not going to cost you a job. Certainly a photo/video like this isn't going to. As the one person said, a person getting his walnuts off on such a photo is no different than having seen your child in person and remembering what he/she looked like, or (in years past) doing so to the underwear department of a Sears/JCPenney catalog, and no actual harm comes to the child either way.

The one person asked "how would you feel if I filmed your child and posted it without asking?" I wouldn't care at all. Some other people would care, but then some people will throw a fit over anything. Yawn.

No disrespect to anyone personally, but this is much ado about nothing. It's based on paranoia and has no other legitimate basis whatsoever. A guy has a child who has a friend, he saw something sweet and he recorded a memory of it. Good for him. His child will appreciate that many years down the road. To spoil all of that over wild hysteria over perceived threats is just altogether unnecessary, and he did nothing disrespectful or inappropriate in the least.
Your opinion is not fact. To some it is a big deal, and they have expressed that on this very thread.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:26 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

Ok, well I already know many people don't care what's posted on FB. Go ahead and post what you want about your life.
Just don't film other peoples kids and post it without asking their parents first. Just because you think it's no big deal, doesn't mean your neighbor shares your opinion. Can you at least respect that much? You can call me paranoid all you want. Your life experiences might be different than mine.
I have videos of my kid too, but I always ask before I but pics or videos where my friends kids are involved. It's common sense...

Old 01-13-2016, 09:29 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
Your opinion is not fact. To some it is a big deal, and they have expressed that on this very thread.
Of course they have. They well have that right. Regardless, I stand by my assertion that someone taking a photo of a child, especially a child's friend whom the parent is friends with and where this photo is in broad daylight not in someone's creepy basement in secret, is no basis for alarm. Some people CHOOSE to make it an issue, that is their choice, but it is no issue to me. Moreover, if I were in that guy's position and the parent came to me throwing a fit, I'd go so far as to tell her that she was being ridiculous and that like a bridge she can just get over it or keep her kid at home.

As the parent--guess what, sometimes you don't get the make all the rules of engagement and you shouldn't be able to either. This is one of those, and good that such is the case, I say.

As big as I am on parental sovereignty and strangers not lecturing me about things such as how I don't let me kids sleep in the same room as us and didn't even when they were infants (I've written about that many times before), I also realize that my children aren't mine alone. They are part of the world at large and as such will have other friends, influences, and activities which will naturally occur as a result of this--and I APPRECIATE that. I realize other people in a healthy way appreciate my children, and that as an extension of that certain things are likely to occur which wouldn't necessarily be how I would do things myself.

Moreover, I figure that person has that right, and that if I don't like it, tough--I can bloody well get over it or find someone else and leave them be. I remember how as a child my mother and father were the main deal, but I also had aunts and uncles and cousins etc who were integral to my childhood, and my mother did right in letting most of the things which went on in that realm "just happen" vs running interference in all of that.

I've had occasions in the present where my mother would want to give my kids chocolate on occasion if she's visiting us. As a given rule, I don't want my kids gorging out on something like chocolate. Let it go, I said to myself. So long as my mother isn't being ugly in her tone, my response to myself--let your kids' grandmother spoil them a little. She's only here 3-odd days a year anyway. It's not going to kill them. Stop being a control freak. It's not all about you.

A good parent does this. A good parent does NOT throw an immature fit over such things. They give other such persons latitude to engage with their children, in a safe and responsible way, as that person sees fit. If they don't like how that person does things, they don't try and change who that person is, they move on to someone else whose ways are more in line with theirs. I can tell you this much--almost all the people I associate with in such ways, they have no problem with this. Those who do--I pretty much have nothing to do with them at all. I don't need that negative energy around me. Even so, if they happen to "mix in" with what I'm doing and some photos come out of it, oh well. I'll keep them off Facebook or at least not "tag" anything, but I'm not honoring a "no cameras" moratorium, especially not one in a public setting and especially not one involving my kids as well.

Someone is going to snap a photo of your child in public by incidental occurrence, or at a birthday party as part of the occasion. Oh well. You can choose to make a big deal about what is really nothing at all, or you can choose to look at it as the sweet gesture it was meant to be. Such certainly seems to be the case here. A FRIEND took a photo/video. Big freaking deal. If it's that big of a concern, there are Amish communities in the PA area who would gladly share your views and you'd never have to deal with this. The rest of us aren't Amish, and the laws have made in clear--in public, upskirts etc aside, you have no right to the expectation of privacy. Welcome to the world.

Last edited by shyguylh; 01-13-2016 at 10:08 AM..

Old 01-13-2016, 09:35 AM

152 posts, read 174,182 times
Bottom line: I am a private person in a not so private world. I am not going to say anything to the neighbor because in the end it's not worth it, it will look catty and he will run his mouth to the other neighbors. I posted on here to get other points of view. Thanks everyone!

Old 01-13-2016, 09:47 AM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Details, details

Originally Posted by southwest88

"In addition, online sites must comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, which has rules regarding the posting of identifying information including a child's school, home town or full name. Though this law does not apply to individuals, Facebook could remove photos that violate the rule at the request of a parent."

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The perp????

Anyway from your own source " this law does not apply to individuals"
Yah. Notice the underscored above - FB apparently recognizes the legal standing of the parents of a minor child, & may delete photos that violate the COPPA of 1998. So there may be some recourse there - it depends on whether there was any ID info (on the 2nd grader in question - see above) with the posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting