Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 11:11 AM

388 posts, read 686,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You can call CPS and make a report. Give the incidents that have happened to your knowledge with dates and what happened.
I've done this many, many times already. I'll be doing it again, as well as husband. They don't seem to think there is a problem b/c nothing has come of it. But we will keep at it.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:12 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I call B.S. Every school that I know would immediately go into high gear if a student threatened to burn the school down and said "I wish I had a gun". The HSs in my area would have police office talking to the student within minutes after making such a statement. While they may not arrest the student, the threat definitely would be taken VERY SERIOUSLY. And, if the police knew that the teen had an actual gun there would definitely be repercussions.

PS. I just read your update where you said that they did not realize that he actually had a gun. Yes, call the principal and express your concerns. In the very unlikely situation where he does not take you seriously I would again call CPS and the police to share your story.

Now, it is possible that your step-son may be put in a juvenile detention center but isn't that better than to be the parent of the shooter at a school shooting and have multiple murders on your conscience?
This isn't a teen, it's a 10 yr old.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:14 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
I agree there is a lot about this story that makes no sense.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I call B.S. Every school that I know would immediately go into high gear if a student threatened to burn the school down and said "I wish I had a gun". The HSs in my area would have police office talking to the student within minutes after making such a statement. While they may not arrest the student, the threat definitely would be taken VERY SERIOUSLY. And, if the police knew that the teen had an actual gun there would definitely be repercussions.

PS. I just read your update where you said that they did not realize that he actually had a gun. Yes, call the principal and express your concerns. In the very unlikely situation where he does not take you seriously I would again call CPS and the police to share your story.

Now, it is possible that your step-son may be put in a juvenile detention center but isn't that better than to be the parent of the shooter at a school shooting and have multiple murders on your conscience?
I'm sorry you feel the actual events that happened are "BS"...we are stunned ourselves. We told the counselor (both on phone with her) that we felt this was serious and it is not being treated as such. This is when she said "I don't seem him in my office a lot - he's not a frequent flyer, so he's not a bad kid". THAT IS WHAT SHE SAID. I was ticked! This is why he is calling school tomorrow. In my area too they would be treating this seriously. If you want to PM me, I will give you the school district in which this happened. I personally feel they are taking it lightly b/c he is in elementary school. Do I think that is right? NO WAY. I take this extremely seriously. Hence, my post.

He isn't a teen - he is 10.

I will be calling CPS again.

You seem to be thinking we don't want anything "bad" to happen to him. Not the case. We actually are fine with him "getting in trouble" if it means he gets help. It is the school and his mother that "don't want to be too hard on him". See what I mean?

I wouldn't personally have crap on my conscience. I didn't buy him the gun. I called CPS. My husband contacted the school. Husband has BEGGED mom for counseling. He has even warned her that something serious could happen and he doesn't want to be on the news. She finds nothing wrong with his having a gun and admits to none of these issues. She just looks the other way. So while I see what you are saying, I personally would walk away, heart broken, but know we did all we could. Systems fail often. That doesn't mean we didn't or won't try.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree there is a lot about this story that makes no sense.
I'm sorry. It is a lot - years worth. Happy to answer any questions that might help clarify any of this for you. Obviously I can't put years worth of things in one single post. But please, start a conversation. Ask me anything. Happy to answer. I am BEGGING for help/answers/guidance. If I can clarify anything, I am glad to, if it means someone has an idea they can share.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:23 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
This isn't a teen, it's a 10 yr old.

Oops, I must have missed how young the child was. In some ways, I can see where the school counselor may not have gotten as worried, as she probably assumed that the child was joking and assumed that the child did not have an actual gun. While police did get involved with things like that at the elementary school level, it normally was not taken as seriously as if a HS student made that threat.

OTOH, some of the other things, such as hurting the animals, becomes a much bigger red flag if they were done by a 10 year old.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Oops, I must have missed how young the child was. In some ways, I can see where the school counselor may not have gotten as worried, as she probably assumed that the child was joking and assumed that the child did not have an actual gun. While police did get involved with things like that at the elementary school level, it normally was not taken as seriously as if a HS student made that threat.

OTOH, some of the other things, such as hurting the animals, becomes a much bigger red flag if they were done by a 10 year old.
See though, this is a problem to us. Like if you take ALL the things he's done + add the threat in, it is super serious...to us. But the school just takes it lightly. My husband begged the teachers last year to hold him accountable for things - we told them "don't let his cuteness fool you". They did not take him seriously. He acted up for months. It was only when he disrupted the teaching, near standardized testing time, did they start to care. That is when Husband was called back up and he told them, "Look. I told you about this months ago. You have to hold him accountable. You can't let him walk over you". Things changed a bit but you know, the school year ends and then he gets new teachers. Cycle starts over.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:33 AM

Is this a regular public school?

Old 02-14-2016, 11:35 AM

This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisee1203 View Post
Current day:
SS is in trouble nearly daily at school. ... He lashes out at the teachers. He is failing.
and this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisee1203 View Post

We told the counselor (both on phone with her) that we felt this was serious and it is not being treated as such. This is when she said "I don't seem him in my office a lot - he's not a frequent flyer, so he's not a bad kid".
... contradict each other.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Is this a regular public school?
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting