Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 01:50 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
... Your leaving after waiting 5-10min. would have taught her such basic life lessons.

What could go wrong?

"How did it go, Sweetheart?"

"The guy never even showed."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 12:04 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Steve McDonald wrote:

The young woman may have never associated with anyone before, except for those her own age. She doesn't know yet about the rules for adult behavior. Think about how difficult it may be for someone who hires her. Not only will she require job-training, but life-training, as well. That's why part-time jobs are so important for high-school students. I think it's an essential part of their upbringing.
Rate this post positively

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Impossible.
Unless her parents never had friends over, she never interacted with teachers and counselors at school, she was never part of an athletic team, etc.
Treating adults with respect usually starts with the "Yes, sir, No, ma'am" of meeting your friends' parents. Even my 4 year old knows this.
It's quite possible that some young people may have had all the opportunities that you mention for interactions with older people, but yet they may not have been personal or meaningful enough, to have had much effect. And some families don't have friends that visit, some are ignored by teachers and counselors and some have never been on an athletic team or had any organized activity outside of home.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:30 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,677 times
Not knowing exactly what happened, but I would presume that the Mom is pressuring the daughter to do something she really doesnt care about. Its not like the daughter called up the guy herself and asked for a meeting. For all we know, Mommy is doing all the pushing here, and little special snowflake doesnt care to go along with the program.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:22 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It does not matter. The daughter blew him off for 45 minutes then the Mom complained about how much time he gave her. They both suck.

But the daughter did not say, No, Mom, I am not going to do that. She went to breakfast and showed up 45 minutes late, complaining that she forgot her resume.
Yes, clearly evidence of dysfunction on both parts.

Keep in mind, this mother is the kind of person who would say what she said to a virtual stranger after he failed to do as she expected, then hung up on him.

How on earth would we expect this child to exercise better judgement if she has a mother like that? I pity her. She has a long row to hoe.

How healthy could these people possibly be?

But I still don't think this is evidence that the young lady is 'entitled'. She didn't seem to give any indication that she expected anything from anybody.

Just because a kid has a tiger/helicopter mom doesn't mean she is a 'special snowflake' anywhere but her mother's mind. Let's not get our cliches too tangled up here!

Old 07-22-2016, 10:01 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I think the young lady should just get married. Why does she need to work at all? Maybe she wasn't college material. Obviously, she's not employment material.

Not everybody can do everything. I haven't seen too many young ladies who couldn't do well being housewives. That's all some of them are capable of.

I know, sounds hopelessly old fashioned. But some things from the old days just worked out better, with less hassle for all parties involved. You can put lipstick on a pig, but you still can't expect it to fly.
"Hopelessly old fashioned " were not exactly the words that came to my mind.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:33 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I think the young lady should just get married. Why does she need to work at all? Maybe she wasn't college material. Obviously, she's not employment material.

Not everybody can do everything. I haven't seen too many young ladies who couldn't do well being housewives. That's all some of them are capable of.

I know, sounds hopelessly old fashioned. But some things from the old days just worked out better, with less hassle for all parties involved. You can put lipstick on a pig, but you still can't expect it to fly.

My inlaws said the same thing about their daughter once upon a time. She is now 33 years old, living at home, no education beyond high school, bounced around menial part-time jobs for while but hasn't worked at all in 9 years. She no longer takes care of her appearance so at this point she is, shall we say, past her prime. Can handle some light housecleaning, but cannot prepare anything more complex than microwave popcorn and smoothies, and is emotionally-stunted by sitting around the house all day. Her father cannot retire because he still supports her, and is now kicking himself for setting the bar so low. Her mother still maintains that she "just needs to meet a guy"... which at this point, being a very competitive area in all respects, is essentially a suggestion that she flat-back for room and board. She could have potentially done something with her life, had they pushed and encouraged her more. But instead they were stuck in the old-school mentality of waiting around for a husband who will keep her home, with no thought given to what she might have to offer in a relationship.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:37 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
if you never insist that your child have some kind of job in high school or college, then you are guaranteeing that they'll be missing some important experience when it comes time to enter the real world.
It's difficult these days to get a job. Lots of young kids whine that they can't get a job. Just go to the Work and Employment section. You'll find a bunch of posters who complains they've been applying to hundreds or so applications, interview for a few jobs and they still don't have a job. Anyone who believes the job market is great listens to a bunch of idiots who skews statistics and doesn't tell the real truth.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
It doesn't matter if the mom was trying to force the girl into it. There is no excuse for standing someone up who is doing you a favor. If the girl had other plans, she should have called the OP herself (she should have done that anyway) and rescheduled or cancelled. There is no excuse for the mom's behavior. She should have been apologizing to the OP for her daughter's behavior.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:16 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,408,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
It's difficult these days to get a job. Lots of young kids whine that they can't get a job. Just go to the Work and Employment section. You'll find a bunch of posters who complains they've been applying to hundreds or so applications, interview for a few jobs and they still don't have a job. Anyone who believes the job market is great listens to a bunch of idiots who skews statistics and doesn't tell the real truth.
Thank you.

It's so ridiculously competitive nowadays. Another thing that doesn't help is that all the resume filling is now done online with the complete death and soul-sucking questionnaire section. Even my Father has come around in recent years and agrees that you're lucky to even get one job offer after you graduate.

You'd be able to sometimes just walk into a store and see the manager, then he'd perhaps offer you a job right on the spot. Nowadays? That's just not possible.

This is just one of many reasons why I decided to pursue having my own online business.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:20 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,877,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Thank you.

It's so ridiculously competitive nowadays. Another thing that doesn't help is that all the resume filling is now done online with the complete death and soul-sucking questionnaire section. Even my Father has come around in recent years and agrees that you're lucky to even get one job offer after you graduate.

You'd be able to sometimes just walk into a store and see the manager, then he'd perhaps offer you a job right on the spot. Nowadays? That's just not possible.

This is just one of many reasons why I decided to pursue having my own online business.

It's not possible? I'm glad my friend didn't know that! Just happened to him earlier this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting