Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 09:00 AM

670 posts, read 480,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I think to anyone that speaks Spanish, Mara will be pronounced MahRah because it is a Spanish word that means crowd or gang. It might not necessarily have meant a violent street gang until the Salvadorans started using it to refer to it to their most notorous gang Mara Salvatrucha Much like "gang" used to be used for any group of people.

I would stay away from Mara as a name no matter how cute you think it sounds.
Haha ok. The area I am from does not have a large Spanish population. Don't think this will be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 10:21 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
I have a friend named Mara and it's pronounced like Sarah but with an M.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:09 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
Yea I guess I don't find this a big deal but others seem to say it's not right to name your kid that based on that. I love the name so I am going with it but just need to figure out which pronunciation makes more sense.
Are you already living where you plan to raise her? You could go to some different places in your city and just randomly show people the name and ask them how to say this name. Ask the staff at your favorite restaurant, the local mickeyD, people at church if you attend, the staff at your doctors office, etc. It should give you a fair idea of how the name will be pronounced (or if it just confuses everyone) in your area.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:15 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
If you choose a name with ambiguous pronunciation options you and she need to get comfortable with a lifetime of being called any and all of those.

Agree! And if you're ok with all possible pronunciations, then go for it. Choose the pronunciation you like (I would automatically think like "car-uh") and know that she will be called variations of that throughout her life. And you never know what life has in store for you, so it's not outside the realm of possibility you'll end up in an area where that name (word) has negative connotations. But you are the parent- go with what you love.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's not advantageous to use technical terminology at all times, or to patronize people who are not as learned in a particular subject as you are.
I just thought I'd toss that bit of info out there. I'm a big believer in free education....one tidbit at a time.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:19 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
My husband and I are thinking of naming our child Mara. We were between Mila, Madelyn and Maya but wanted something less trendy and popular. There are 2 ways we could pronhounce Mara. Either Mar-ah pronouncing mar as in car or Mar-uh and pronouncing mar as in marriage and similar to Dara/Kara/Tara. Which do you think sounds better?
Definitely Mar-uh like car. I have never heard anyone pronounce this name like the mar in marriage. Maybe that's a regional thing.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:50 PM

513 posts, read 737,162 times
]So do you think if I did Mara they would just be confused or go with how it is spelled as mar-a like car ? I would go with however is most commonly pronounced.

It's a beautiful name, in my opinion. I also believe people would go with the most common way it's pronounced and considerate people would try to remember if you pronounce it differently.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:35 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Definitely Mar-uh like car. I have never heard anyone pronounce this name like the mar in marriage. Maybe that's a regional thing.
How do you pronounce "Mario"?

Old 12-10-2016, 08:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Mah-rio.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:35 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Mah-rio.
Is that Mah as in cat or Mah as in far?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting