Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,627 times

Advertisements

I went through all of this with my ex. He still owes close to FIFTY THOUSAND. It's ridiculous! They went after my current hubby because they felt he should have been paying ONE DOLLAR more a week, so rather than just calling or sending a letter saying pay another dollar they took us to court. (He was behind about $200 due to a car accident.)We had to hire an attorney and jump through all kinds of hoops. We ended up with a c ourt appointed Attorney who gave us the wrong court date, (I have the phone message saved) we were supposed to be there on a Monday, he told us Wednesday, so they actually issued a warrant for his arrest and then because we didn't show when we were scheduled, they are making us pay the attorney fees too! ALL FOR A DOLLAR MORE A WEEK!!! It seems like they go after those they can find just to pad their numbers. It makes me furious! And then the mom doesn't even use the money for his daughter, she uses it on her hair and nails and new clothes. It's just not right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 12:44 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
Child support should be audited and documented in how it is spent. There should be someone who reviews the expenses and makes sure that any child support received is spent solely on the child and the parent receiving it be held accountable for it. That receiving parent should be made to document and record each expense and then be able to show proof of how it relates to the child.
Any child support should be barred from being deposited in any account but a special bank account specifically set up to receive it, so any contributions to it as well as deductions for expenses is documented officially as well.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:32 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Child support should be audited and documented in how it is spent. There should be someone who reviews the expenses and makes sure that any child support received is spent solely on the child and the parent receiving it be held accountable for it. That receiving parent should be made to document and record each expense and then be able to show proof of how it relates to the child.
Any child support should be barred from being deposited in any account but a special bank account specifically set up to receive it, so any contributions to it as well as deductions for expenses is documented officially as well.
Child support goes to food, clothing, school lunches and supplies and other school expenses, water, heating, rent or mortgage. It is help to keep the child with a roof over their head, from medical , dental and vision issues, and little things the child may want or need. it is hard to document how much a child eats, or uses in electricity or water. it is too help the parent support the child.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:06 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Child support goes to food, clothing, school lunches and supplies and other school expenses, water, heating, rent or mortgage. It is help to keep the child with a roof over their head, from medical , dental and vision issues, and little things the child may want or need. it is hard to document how much a child eats, or uses in electricity or water. it is too help the parent support the child.
I see your point, mine is that there is so much abuse. If the parent receiving used it for all you're saying, but used say a debit card drawn on a specific account, then there'd be no question if it was abused or not, at least it would make it easier to audit for abuse.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I see your point, mine is that there is so much abuse. If the parent receiving used it for all you're saying, but used say a debit card drawn on a specific account, then there'd be no question if it was abused or not, at least it would make it easier to audit for abuse.
Yes for like clothing it would be a good idea, or medical, but it is hard to do that for food and electric and household costs.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:57 PM

279 posts, read 1,859,550 times
Quote:
The problem I have with child support going towards mortgage and the water bill is, the custodial parent would have a mortgage and water bill even if they never had a kid.

All I can say is my husband paid for 2 kids (2 wives), it was horrible. I didn't think their 18 birthday's would ever come. But we survived, and it's all over. I feel so sad for all of you still in the thick of it. I remember the sleepless nights and my shoulders in knots. I hope everything works out for all you.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:52 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times
Quote:

I think the kid came from two parents so it is both parents' responsibility to provide for that child. Child support should be used for anything the child spends/needs but that doesn't mean that it must cover 100% of every dime "used" by the child. You may not be able to measure electricity and water and those things but if the custodial parent wasn't using that also, they would both be homeless so, come on, you should not expect the non-custodial parent to cover all and it's not the kid's fault so everybody has to contribute and hopefully he/she will grow to become a productive, responsible human being.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:05 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacts View Post
I think the kid came from two parents so it is both parents' responsibility to provide for that child. Child support should be used for anything the child spends/needs but that doesn't mean that it must cover 100% of every dime "used" by the child. You may not be able to measure electricity and water and those things but if the custodial parent wasn't using that also, they would both be homeless so, come on, you should not expect the non-custodial parent to cover all and it's not the kid's fault so everybody has to contribute and hopefully he/she will grow to become a productive, responsible human being.
Who gets enough child support to cover All the things the child/needs and wants?. With the custodial parent not having to pay anything. I use to get $123 a month. I told my story a few pages back.

Anyways, My son likes to play sports .The cost for each sport in public school is $120. Plus shoes,water bottles, bag to carry your gear , gas money to get them to and from practice five days a week etc.
Lets talk about what the custodial parents does for a child compared to the person who just puts a check in the mail once a month. Who do you think has the harder job!!!!
I could go on and on but I need to help my son with his homework!

Last edited by DBNN; 12-11-2006 at 07:17 PM..

Old 12-12-2006, 07:25 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
I think people forget that child support is also to maintain the lifestyle the child WOULD have had if the parents did not seperate. Some people consider this money excessive but if the parents together make $100k the child would have benefited from this if he/she resided w/them together. It's NOT just for food and school clothes. It can also be for vacations to the beach, movies and pizza on Friday night, etc. Unfortunately that is sometimes ALL that it will cover. I have to agree that child support does sometimes go to professional hair salons, pedicures and hot clothes for the newly single mom. That is also a part I wish could be regulated (as some posters have mentioned) as I have had to deal w/a mother like that. It's downright disgusting to have a hoochie momma walking around w/a kid looking like an orphan. However, there are mothers out there who spend all of their child support and some on their child. This is such a touchy issue. Dads feel screwed, moms feel screwed but who is really the loser in this? The child. People take out their anger on the ex spouse and refuse to pay but in my opinion they are nothing but big bullies picking on little children. Pick on someone your own size I say! If you wanna mess w/me go run over my dog but leave the little ones ALONE! And DBNN no amount of money could pay for the job you do! 24 hrs a day 365 days a year (less visitation). It's a thankless and daunting job w/huge bonuses For those struggling, just remember it COULD be worse. From what I know about most of the posters here, we have healthy happy children/families. Let's keep those blessings in mind.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
I think people forget that child support is also to maintain the lifestyle the child WOULD have had if the parents did not seperate. Some people consider this money excessive but if the parents together make $100k the child would have benefited from this if he/she resided w/them together. It's NOT just for food and school clothes. It can also be for vacations to the beach, movies and pizza on Friday night, etc. Unfortunately that is sometimes ALL that it will cover. I have to agree that child support does sometimes go to professional hair salons, pedicures and hot clothes for the newly single mom. That is also a part I wish could be regulated (as some posters have mentioned) as I have had to deal w/a mother like that. It's downright disgusting to have a hoochie momma walking around w/a kid looking like an orphan. However, there are mothers out there who spend all of their child support and some on their child. This is such a touchy issue. Dads feel screwed, moms feel screwed but who is really the loser in this? The child. People take out their anger on the ex spouse and refuse to pay but in my opinion they are nothing but big bullies picking on little children. Pick on someone your own size I say! If you wanna mess w/me go run over my dog but leave the little ones ALONE! And DBNN no amount of money could pay for the job you do! 24 hrs a day 365 days a year (less visitation). It's a thankless and daunting job w/huge bonuses For those struggling, just remember it COULD be worse. From what I know about most of the posters here, we have healthy happy children/families. Let's keep those blessings in mind.

Yes exactly, the parent with custody pays more out of pocket to feed ,buy clothes, water, electricity and yes rent that the non custodial does. my ex paid me 150.00 a month for our son, sorry that didnt even cover 1/4 of the cost of him. He didnt cover him medically with insurance, and he got the tax right off because he paid a little child support. He was able to get a smaller place and a nicer car and had less bills. I drove him to football and baseball games, I drove him to cub scout meetings, I paid for school lunches which was 35.00 a month, I paid for field trips, vacations, I paid for child care. I never spent a dime on myself,not all moms use it for themselves. Dads feel cheated and some rightfully so, but alot run from their responsibility or cry foul because they dont want to pay, or in my case , they give up all rights so they dont have to pay. Why do people fight it? You made the child, why is it fair to saddle the parent with the child with all the bills, it takes two to tango. Mom or Dad whomever is paying child support needs to pay. If you suspect the other parent is miss using the money then look into it but just dont assume. Just because the mom gets her hair done or nails done doesnt mean she used childsupport money, maybe she saved for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting