Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:52 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times

Advertisements

I move. low tolerance for baloney and I am getting worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 11:08 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,529,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
She plays it off because if not you sound like you are bragging or she is just being modest; I have been with other mothers when my kids have behaved but theirs haven't. If I say this is normal for us, they will drop me like a hot potato(it has happened to me); so I have learned to say to the mom only, not when my kids can hear, that it happens to all of us, don't worry. Yes, there is mommy rivalry as you have seen from the other threads on here....
Honestly I think hers comes more from being raised to be codependent, much like myself. I guess I'm finally growing up or something because I'm proud of my kids and am not ashamed to admit it.

As for other mothers, this is the kind of stuff that confirms my beliefs about mothers groups. I would not fit in, nor would I want to, even if they deemed a lowly father worthy to join their exclusive group.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:12 AM

444 posts, read 1,049,801 times
If I am somewhere there are expected to be a lot of kids like Friendly's or something like that I don't really care. If I am in an expensive restaurant where there is not expected to be a lot of kids I may give the eyeball of just asked to be moved. I generally don't mind thoogh because what would happen if I was in that situations so I try to cut as mich slack as I can.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:34 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,375,171 times
If we go out its to a chain restraunt (nothing fancy with a 4 yrold), I also bring toys,and stuff for him to do. If he acts up and it is not getting under controll, we take our food home palin and simple.WE have not evan tried the movies yet. We are shooting for Horten hears a WHO, only at the bargin theaters, during the week and during the day.

Last edited by michelleleigh; 03-20-2008 at 06:53 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 08:23 AM

30 posts, read 75,112 times
I hear so many appalling stories here. I just wonder why don't the businesses remove the selfish person with an obnoxious kid. Simple respect for customers would require to react immediately in this situation. And a question for all of you: why don't you require this to be done? Just ask the manager to remove disruptive kids, if refused, cancel your order and leave. Vote with your money, but let the businesses know the reason. Why are people so submissive that they don't do that, pay a lot of money to the restaurant that does not respect them, go home and complain on forums? Can someone explain, please?

Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 AM

515 posts, read 1,330,664 times
I move, complain and generally throw dirty looks in their directions.

I can't stand kids in restaurants. There's no reason a 2 year old needs to eat out.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:42 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,348,659 times
Ok, I have twins that will be 4 tomorrow! YAY!! and they have had their meltdowns....
One day we were out in Target and one started with the other fighting over something silly....and I said that's it. We are leaving. They were like no no!!!! I said, yes, yes!! I took everything out of the cart, took them by the hands (of course, I had people running down aisles to see all the hoopla!)and took them right out to the car.. They didn't say a word home.!!!!!!!!

I won't tolerate it!! Now that they are 4, things are getting a tad bit easier.... I always get oh, double trouble, or my sympathies..from old geesers if they are acting up lmao but at least they are getting better. Terrible two's
sucked!

I will say that in restaurants they are actually good because they are too busy eating to hve time to act up!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJones View Post
It depends greatly on the situation.

If the parents are distressed by it, look frustrated, are trying to do something about it - I try to help out. I think almost everyone falls into one of two categories: you're either a "kid person" or you're not. I myself am a "kid person" - I get along very well with them, they gravitate toward me, and I like them all. Truly. So, if I'm somewhere and a child is freaking out (this can be in the grocery store, a restaurant, whatever), I'll start talking to the kid. They get interested, distracted, whatever, and I can honestly say that this has worked many, many times - the child calms down, the parent(s) calms down, and the situation gets soothed.

Now, if the child is running wild like a banshee, or the parent(s) is ignoring the entire situation, we're in a whole 'nother ballgame. I'll still keep it light, but will say, "Hey, excuse me - but I think your child here is about to start swinging from the rafters in a quick second!" (Big smile) I find that being nice works much better in cases like that.

The way I see it, no one is going to make me leave a place I'm at by choice, rather to eat, shop, or whatever. It's not MY problem, and I can either deal with it in my own way, or learn to ignore it and continue to enjoy myself. I'm not going to allow someone else's children to ruin my time. It's a choice.
I'm with you. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and be sympathetic. I have three children, one of whom is 11, autistic and really strong. She has had meltdowns in stores before--screaming, flailing meltdowns where I've had to physically haul her out of there, while she's outraged and kicking at me. Luckily, people can usually recognize she's special needs, are nice about it and just leave us alone, but I have had people give us the stinkeye.

Her meltdowns are increasingly rare but holy hell to behold when she does have one.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figureskater View Post
why don't the businesses remove the selfish person with an obnoxious kid. Simple respect for customers would require to react immediately in this situation. And a question for all of you: why don't you require this to be done? Just ask the manager to remove disruptive kids, if refused, cancel your order and leave. Vote with your money, but let the businesses know the reason. Why are people so submissive that they don't do that, pay a lot of money to the restaurant that does not respect them, go home and complain on forums? Can someone explain, please?
There was a great Dear Abby story a few years ago about an entire restaraunt and was being distrubed by some nasty kids running up the aisles, screaming etc.

The manager came to their table with their orders wrapped up to go, i addition, a few complimentary desserts. He told them the whole meal was on him and to come back another time.

Apparantly, the parents took the meals/desserts, grabbed the kiddos and left.

The entire restaraunt was pretty grateful to that manager.

For me, when I go out to eat with hubby and hostess seats us near kids, I look at the kids, look at hostess and say "no way".

Granted, I cook so often that when we DO go out to eat, it is a 2 or 3 hour event and we really enjoy ourselves, no kids please!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:10 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,685,020 times
Here is a fun one...I was once on a plane with hubby, 2 girls - 8 and 11 or so were behind us, kicking my seat. A few looks to them did not do it.

I turned aroun, looked at the man next to them and asked if he was "dad". The girls and the man all shooks their heads.

I asked the girls were their parents were and they pointed back towards the end of the plane.

I told them "do you want me to ask YOU to stop kicking my chair or do you want me to ask your PARENTS for you to stop kicking my chair?"

well, that did the trick! That and a few tiny bottles of liqour!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting