Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:11 AM

926 posts, read 2,748,509 times

Advertisements

I usually just keep looking at the parents every once in a while to give them a "hint" to try to control their kids. it bugs me when they sit on the phone talking while their kids are acting up- like they dont care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 10:15 AM

30 posts, read 75,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The prices in a restaurant should make no difference on behavior. Bad behavior is BAD anywhere.
Exactly! Since when do manners depend on price? Politeness is required everywhere and any time. It's sad that some people seem not to notice that.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,685,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figureskater View Post
Exactly! Since when do manners depend on price? Politeness is required everywhere and any time. It's sad that some people seem not to notice that.
I see your point, but somewhat disagree.

If hubby and I are taking a nice night out to relax and are going in to the establishment that is otherwise meant for adults and we plan to walk out having spent 100 bucks - I CERTAINLY do not expect kids to be acting up.

If we are on a road trip and decide to grab a subway sandwich on the road, well, ya get what ya get in there! No room to complain.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:46 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
I am usually pretty tolerant untill the kids starts screaming or something and that goes through me like a knife and I want to scream back . But I was raised not to say anything but maybe give them a look like could you please control the kid. I mean i usually find that is not only in restaraunts but has anybody been to the public library lately ? those kids in there scream , holler and everything else and the parents act like it is totally okay to do that . In fact I was in the library last wknd and there was a mother there and she looked at her daughter and told her I am sad at you . Excuse me ? what is that ? sad at you . Take that kid outside and give her a swat on her behind . I mean honestly who is in charge there ? the kid is obviously and will continue to be untill that mother grows a backbone and swats her butt . believe me folks corporal punishment works . Not 10 % of my moms generation were in jail in their teens now there are what like 70 % of teens in jail . it all leads back to not putting that hand on that backside .

Old 01-14-2009, 10:51 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,751,825 times
I have kids so I normally don't go to restaurants.

Just kidding - but I don't run into this scene very often.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:53 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,464 times
It depends on the situation. I try to be sympathetic, my now 4yr old was a demon at 2, not in public but I know how hard a tough kid can be.

My kids are normally very good but once I was in the grocery store with my then 8mth old and 3yr old and they were both completely melting down. The cashier made a terrible remark to me about controlling my children and I burst into tears.

What she didn't know was that I had just spent my fourth day that week at the Children's Hospital with my 8mth old son, running tests because they thought he had a brain deformity. My poor 3yr old had to spend that entire day watching her brother be drugged and poked and prodded because there was no preschool that day and my husband was out of town for work. We had to stop by the grocery store because I was out of milk.

You just don't know what happened that day to make the kids nuts or to make the parents not pay attention. Is something like my story the norm? No, but you just never know what's going on.

My DS, now 2 is fine btw.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:31 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,436,931 times
Both my young children are respectful in resturaunts or i wouldnt bring them.
If kids are being very loud and annoying (usually because their parents tolerate that sort of thing) then i will ask to be moved...
It's irritating

Old 01-14-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post

If hubby and I are taking a nice night out to relax and are going in to the establishment that is otherwise meant for adults and we plan to walk out having spent 100 bucks - I CERTAINLY do not expect kids to be acting up.
I agree with that. Certain venues are by definition for adults and kids should not even be allowed there.

However, polite people (including polite kids) act politely even in McDonalds. There is no reason to leave your manners at home just because you are going to a fast food place. Rudeness is rudeness, regardless of where it happens.

When I was a kid, I was required to be polite even in a place which was strictly for kids. They told me that I had to respect other kids. Today, I am grateful to them that they taught me respect, even if, as I suppose, this makes me more disappointed now, when I see so many rude, wild kids in public places.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Both my young children are respectful in resturaunts or i wouldnt bring them.
If kids are being very loud and annoying (usually because their parents tolerate that sort of thing) then i will ask to be moved...
It's irritating
I never ask to be moved. I leave. A business that does not respect customers by exposing them to ill-mannered kids does not deserve any money to be spent there.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I am usually pretty tolerant untill the kids starts screaming or something and that goes through me like a knife and I want to scream back . But I was raised not to say anything but maybe give them a look like could you please control the kid. I mean i usually find that is not only in restaraunts but has anybody been to the public library lately ? those kids in there scream , holler and everything else and the parents act like it is totally okay to do that . In fact I was in the library last wknd and there was a mother there and she looked at her daughter and told her I am sad at you . Excuse me ? what is that ? sad at you . Take that kid outside and give her a swat on her behind . I mean honestly who is in charge there ? the kid is obviously and will continue to be untill that mother grows a backbone and swats her butt . believe me folks corporal punishment works . Not 10 % of my moms generation were in jail in their teens now there are what like 70 % of teens in jail . it all leads back to not putting that hand on that backside .
I noticed this problem already. Absolutely no respect for knowledge or education. Running, jumping, screaming in libraries.... That so sad... And librarians don't do anything about it. If I acted like this when I was a kid, a librarian would have removed me. Only whispering was allowed.

There are places for running and screaming, they are called PLAYGROUND. People seem not to notice the difference any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting