Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 06:03 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times

Advertisements

There are cultures that think animals are disgusting and shouldn't live in houses with people.

Maybe the pediatrician belonged to one of those cultures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 06:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I was at the pediatricians office with annie and her granddaughter and the granddaughter had her check up mom is at work so they had asked annie to take her . So while we were sitting there I heard one of the pediatricians tell the parent that they must get rid of their animals because their child was being infected by the dog and the cat in the house . Then he proceeds to tell the parent that he hates animals around kids they are nasty and they are infection breeders !!! I kid you not , I almost hit the floor . Had that been my pediatrician my kids would not being going back there . Something wrong with someone who supposedly likes children but hates animals in my opinion . Annie said she is going to let her son in law and her daughter know how this guy acts and what he said . Knowing annies daughter and son in law like I do I think this pediatrician probably lost a couple of patients .
Holy run-on sentence!
Who is Annie?

I don't think this is necessarily the big deal you think it is. The doc didn't say he hates animals. He said he hates them being around kids. You don't know what prompted that comment. It is possible that these parents aren't taking care of their animals and are allowing them in the house with fleas or something that are biting the kids. Maybe the doctor worded it in a general way so as not to offend the parents. Instead of saying "You aren't taking care of your animals" he said "I don't think animals should be around kids. "

Old 01-03-2018, 06:28 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I was at the pediatricians office with annie and her granddaughter and the granddaughter had her check up mom is at work so they had asked annie to take her . So while we were sitting there I heard one of the pediatricians tell the parent that they must get rid of their animals because their child was being infected by the dog and the cat in the house . Then he proceeds to tell the parent that he hates animals around kids they are nasty and they are infection breeders !!! I kid you not , I almost hit the floor . Had that been my pediatrician my kids would not being going back there . Something wrong with someone who supposedly likes children but hates animals in my opinion . Annie said she is going to let her son in law and her daughter know how this guy acts and what he said . Knowing annies daughter and son in law like I do I think this pediatrician probably lost a couple of patients .

I'd never return. I do not trust people who do not like animals.

He is also ignorant and ill-informed. I'd LEAVE!

Old 01-03-2018, 06:32 PM

Infections That Pets Carry

Old 01-03-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'd never return. I do not trust people who do not like animals.

He is also ignorant and ill-informed. I'd LEAVE!
That's not what he said.

How do you know the kid(s) didn't have a recurring illness that could be caused by an animal?

Old 01-03-2018, 06:53 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Ohh gosh. It's probably fair to reframe the context:
In working with children it's often foreign material that creates these conditions. Being atune to the child's recent health should take precedence to the cause and then proceed to a corrective anecdote. Ergo: fluffy needs to be re assigned to a new location.

Sorry but I don't find a doctors realistic concern to be any different then a plumber constantly being called out to unclog the toilet because little Johnny just had to see his matchbox swirl down the tunnel. Something can be prevented.
Ohh and tell Annie that daddy Warbucks is going to get rid of Sandy.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:23 PM

14,317 posts, read 11,708,830 times
If the OP is remembering correctly, the pediatrician said that the children were being "infected" by a dog and cat in the house. It would be necessary to find out what exactly the infection is, in order to determine if the advice not to have the animals around children is good.

I highly doubt the kids are catching rabies. They're not getting colds or flu or norovirus from pets. No chicken pox or mumps or measles. The most likely "infection" is worms or fleas, though that would be better termed an infestation, or ringworm, which is a fungal infection. These are all easy to treat and don't necessitate rehoming the pets. Allergies and asthma are not, in any sense, infections.

So all in all, I have to agree in general with the OP that a pediatrician who makes a blanket statement that pets shouldn't be around kids because they're "nasty and infection breeders" probably just has personal issues with animals which take precedence over facts of science. He wouldn't be my choice of a doctor for my children.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Honestly, I would be more concerned about HIPAA violations and a doctor discussing private patient business where just anyone else can overhear.

Was this in the hallway as he was walking out with a parent, or was this a conversation taking place in a private exam room you could overhear?

Old 01-03-2018, 07:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Honestly, I would be more concerned about HIPAA violations and a doctor discussing private patient business where just anyone else can overhear.

Was this in the hallway as he was walking out with a parent, or was this a conversation taking place in a private exam room you could overhear?
Sounds like the OP or this Annie were eavesdropping.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:17 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Was the child covered in flea bites? Having a problem with recurrent worm infections? Bartonella? Had the doctor already told the parents umpteen times that their child was being infected from contact with pets, and/or told them the pets needed vet attention? I'm happy to condemn the doctor for discussing patient care in front of eavesdroppers in the waiting area instead of in private, but we don't have enough info to blast him for his medical opinion.
I was thinking the same thing. Unless you know the backstory this information is invalid and incomplete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting