Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 08:04 PM

1,781 posts, read 956,122 times

Advertisements

Good God this thread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 05:22 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
More than anything, I don't understand the very prevalent sentiment that a person who doesn't agree with you about X,Y, or Z must be a bad/stupid/fill-in-the-blank person and you can no longer do business with them.

Who cares if the doctor likes house pets or not? Is he a good doctor? Does he listen to the parent and the child? Has he appropriately treated the ailments that the child has had? You could have an animal-loving doctor who is distracted, doesn't listen, and blows off concerns, and you could have a fastidious doctor who doesn't like pets in the house but is experienced, highly trained, and a wonderful diagnostician. Although I have pets in the house, I'd rather have the second doctor.
Agreed.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:46 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
We've never done anything special, other than yelling at them, but none of our cats have done much walking on countertops, tables, etc.
My cat always jumps on top of my island, but I don't care. Kids bring home more germs than cats do. I rarely ever get sick.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
More than anything, I don't understand the very prevalent sentiment that a person who doesn't agree with you about X,Y, or Z must be a bad/stupid/fill-in-the-blank person and you can no longer do business with them.

Who cares if the doctor likes house pets or not? Is he a good doctor? Does he listen to the parent and the child? Has he appropriately treated the ailments that the child has had? You could have an animal-loving doctor who is distracted, doesn't listen, and blows off concerns, and you could have a fastidious doctor who doesn't like pets in the house but is experienced, highly trained, and a wonderful diagnostician. Although I have pets in the house, I'd rather have the second doctor.
Yes, this takes "love me, love my dog" to a whole new level.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:42 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Okay, I'll weigh in, even though I'm likely to be the odd one out. I'm not a fan of housepets. Animals are unpredictable and can pose a significant danger to young children. I don't dislike animals, but I think they belong outdoors. And if a trusted physician had told me that my pet was responsible for my child's health issues, I would certainly not have discounted it out of hand. So that's my two cents. Go ahead, tell me I'm an awful person.
You're full of it. My cat would be dead within minutes if I ever let her outdoors, because we live just off the corner of a major thoroughfare that gets a lot of traffic at all hours of the day and night. We've also had both fox and coyote sightings in and around this city.

My cat is indoors not just by my say-so, but also PER MY LEASE.

Indoor cats are much less prone to fleas, ticks (Lyme disease is QUITE common in my part of NY State), but also feline diseases that can be passed from one animal to another through bites or other close contact.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:03 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
No, people, children do not HAVE TO HAVE pets to grow up healthy and well-adjusted. It's great if they do, but it's not essential.
Who said it was essential?

Old 01-09-2018, 11:13 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
My issue (if the OP heard him correct) is that the Dr is taking his personal preferences and passing them
off as official medical advice. What other things does he do that about?
If he doesn't like that kids swim is he going to tell his patients that pools are "infection breeders"
Of course he could find some case to back him up but it is not standard medical advice to never go
swimming.

The best Dr-Parent relationships involve trust.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:42 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
You're full of it. My cat would be dead within minutes if I ever let her outdoors, because we live just off the corner of a major thoroughfare that gets a lot of traffic at all hours of the day and night. We've also had both fox and coyote sightings in and around this city.

Indoor cats are much less prone to fleas, ticks (Lyme disease is QUITE common in my part of NY State), but also feline diseases that can be passed from one animal to another through bites or other close contact.
I think you missed my point. I am not a fan of keeping animals as pets. The argument about indoor vs. outdoor cat is irrelevant if one doesn't keep cats as pets.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:39 AM

685 posts, read 1,105,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I was at the pediatricians office with annie and her granddaughter and the granddaughter had her check up mom is at work so they had asked annie to take her . So while we were sitting there I heard one of the pediatricians tell the parent that they must get rid of their animals because their child was being infected by the dog and the cat in the house . Then he proceeds to tell the parent that he hates animals around kids they are nasty and they are infection breeders !!! I kid you not , I almost hit the floor . Had that been my pediatrician my kids would not being going back there . Something wrong with someone who supposedly likes children but hates animals in my opinion . Annie said she is going to let her son in law and her daughter know how this guy acts and what he said . Knowing annies daughter and son in law like I do I think this pediatrician probably lost a couple of patients .
Oh JESUS. MIL is that you lol? More neurotic, germaphobes. They would have a field day in my home with my family, who knock on wood, get 1 cold a year and that's all the major illnesses any of us, including my kids, have had. Our dog sleeps with me, licks my kids face, and mine. I skeeve some humans more then I do my dog. It's all about your comfort level...

Old 01-12-2018, 06:42 AM

685 posts, read 1,105,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post

Yeah, keeping a pet outside, and in my state of NY would be considered neglect in certain temperatures, where it's more likely to pick up all the above mentioned is better then keeping them in your house in a clean environment If you plan on buying a dog and keeping it outside with NO human interaction, please don't be a pet owner...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting