Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 04:44 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
The worst is when meeting someone and I repeat their name and they say it's _______. I still don't know what they said and I'm certainly not going to try pronouncing it again. I just smile
Sometimes I'll say "oh, and how do you spell that?" which works ok unless they have a very basic name and are just saying it really strangely! lol!

I have experienced the same thing with people assuming they can call Cathleen Cathy or Robert Bob.

Interestingly, my son has a name like that, and I've always called him "Bob" but early on, he decided he preferred "Robert" (neither is his real name) and starting from the time he was tiny, if someone called him Bob, he'd say no, it's Robert. He's in high school now and is consistently called Robert by everyone, except me! lol! Well, my family too, because they hear me say it all the time, so it's kind of 50/50 for them and he can live with that. But everyone else gets corrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 04:56 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
I'm in my mid '60s but my family still calls me by my "babified" name, (for example, Mikey instead of Mike or Michael.)

To this day, it's still tough to introduce colleagues to my mother, in spite of my warning her in advance. "Now remember, Mom, I'm Michael."

"So, how long have you known Mikey?"

Old 06-12-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
I'm in my mid '60s but my family still calls me by my "babified" name, (for example, Mikey instead of Mike or Michael.)

To this day, it's still tough to introduce colleagues to my mother, in spite of my warning her in advance. "Now remember, Mom, I'm Michael."

ha, ha, I love your mom. This is 100% pure Mom, accept no substitutions.

I know it's annoying to you, but I still love her.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:41 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,711,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post

My family always used my formal name, but everyone else used the diminutive form. After high school, I moved away (200 miles) and in with a high school friend. I used that opportunity to lose the diminutive - my friend was the only one who had to change how he addressed me, and he did quite readily.

But it still crops up. At a grad party for my niece a few days ago, I ran into a guy I hadn't seen since high school. Sure enough, he still knows me by the diminutive form. If I ever see him again, I'll have to set him straight...

Old 06-14-2019, 01:10 PM

1,074 posts, read 641,609 times
I worked with someone at a place where no two people were allowed to have the same name. (changed to protect) e.g. two girls named Elizabeth both go by Beth in real life, but when working together my friend had to change her name to Lizzie instead because there was already a Beth.
Since I became friends with her by meeting her at that job, I always knew her as Lizzie. I ended up introducing her to this guy, whom she later married. Flash forward 20 years, her own husband, all his friends, his family, pretty much everyone but her mom and brother now call her Lizzie instead of Beth because of that job.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:02 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
Leave it to Facebook to expose the five different ways to say my name!

Old 06-16-2019, 05:53 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,701 times
Imagine having a super simple name like Debbie, only your parents decided to be cute and drop the "e" at the end. I forever corrected people about the spelling of my name. And, Debbi is my name, not Debra or Deborah.

Hey, I did find a candy conversation Easter egg (like the conversation hearts) with my named spelled MY way. I still have it.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:19 PM

276 posts, read 204,474 times
So I know the Bible says not to hate people, well with Jessicas it doesn't count.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:34 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
So I know the Bible says not to hate people, well with Jessicas it doesn't count.
What, exactly is your problem with that name?

Old 06-22-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
What, exactly is your problem with that name?
Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer, OP is "not a member" now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting