Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:41 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,983,642 times

Advertisements

I don't care what anybody else does, but I am a VERY light sleeper and my kids are very active sleepers. Last night, the last night of our vacation (hubby left a day early to get back to work,) my younger child who is 4 shared the bed with me and I barely got any sleep. She was kicking me, laughing and talking in her sleep, sleeping sideways, and generally making it impossible for me to sleep for much of the night.

When both girls first came home (both were adopted from orphanages in Russia,) they slept in a crib in our room so that they would have company at night like they were used to. That lasted for several months, then we moved them over to their own rooms. They are great sleepers and they know that if they make a peep, I'll wake up and be at their side in mere seconds (my mommy ear is very acute.)

I like it when the girls come in and cuddle with us in the morning (or usually just me since hubby gets up at the crack of dawn.) And they love this time, too, but for us, sharing a bed all night just wouldn't make mommy a happy person. I need my sleep, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 06:00 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,918,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Another breastfeeding co-sleeper here. Actually, my daughter is 27 months and just this week has started sleeping all night by herself as I am night-weaning her (relating to my current pregnancy). ...

Oh, thank goodness my son isn't the only one still night-nursing! Again, something I don't really bring up around other people since I get negative looks and such. I night-weaned my oldest around one year and it was very easy. He only nursed once, around 2 a.m., so I put him in his crib for the first half, then brought him into our bed for the second half--he was fine with not nursing and actually having to get out of bed woke me up enough to not be lazy and just nurse him back to sleep. Not the case with my youngest!

Old 08-21-2008, 06:17 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,792 times
I had a hard time night weaning my daughter as well... she was probably 2 1/2 when she stopped asking for nonnies in the middle of the night. I remember right before she turned 2, she started nursing 5 or 6 times per night and I thought I was going to lose it! My knowledgable friends assured me that it was a phase, and thankfully it was. If we didn't cosleep, I would have been a zombie... as it was, I barely woke up several times per night, which is hard enough!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:10 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
My youngest has always had a very difficult time sleeping alone. As soon as she was old enough to stand in her crib she would try and get out to be with us. We have finally gotten her to where we allow her to fall asleep in our bed at night, but when we come up we transfer her to her bed... sometimes she makes it until morning... other days she finds her way back into our room and we make her sleep on the sofa next to our bed. My oldest likes her bed best and really hasn't ever had an issue with sleeping alone... in fact, she sleeps best when she is alone... the youngest has serious speration anxiety... we have tried to curb it... but I just figure at this point... she will outgrow it and there is no sense making it into something dramatic or traumatic... as long as she falls asleep at a decent hour, I don't care if it is in MY bed or hers... if we can't transfer her then yes, she stays with us... I don't see anything wrong with it at all... Of course, it isn't EVERY day... but I would say 1/4 of the time she finds her way into bed with us. Honestly, I don't see anything odd about it at all...

Old 08-21-2008, 07:19 PM

124 posts, read 583,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelinzoe View Post
Ok, just have to put my two cents in. I just have to say that I can't believe this. There are starving children at this moment. There are children being abused at this moment. There are several missing kids and kidnapped children crying out of desperation at this moment.

My husband, myself, and my two children all sleep in our king bed (one bedroom apartment) and soon my son will be in his own bed. I look forward to it, but will not rush that. Instead I hold him tight, kiss his forehead, and think of how grateful I am that he is fed, healthy, happy, loved, safe, and then I pray for all the children that aren't. I don't waste my time putting down other mothers for raising their children differently. Breastfed, bottlefed, co-sleeping, baby in crib...are they fed? Are they healthy? Are they loved? That's what matters. As mothers let's support one another, not tear each other down.
Spot on! I completely agree 200% - and yes, our son slept with us too -still does from time to time - he's 3 1/2 years old.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:02 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,751,825 times
Just chiming in - rack up another point for the co-sleepers. With breastfeeding, it was so much easier, and in our case, no one thrashed around making things difficult. I won't say it didn't change things, but it was worth the added sleep.

They do eventually transition to their bed, and learn to sleep on their own. What's the rush? Its like potty-training - no one goes away to college in a diaper.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:26 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,759 times
And another co-sleeper here. My son is 2nd generation co sleeper ha ha. I selpt in my parents bed. I can remember feeling so safe. My son is 3 1/2 has his own room and still tiptoes in in the middle of the night. No problem for me or my hubby. As far as wetting the bed come on now there called pull ups LOL We call them big boys since he is pottie trained and only wears them at night. As far as this being unhealthy...... well I don't think it is healthy not having an open mind.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:09 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,846 times
*A question for all the co-sleepers.*

When is a child too old to be sleeping with the parents all night? I don't mean coming in during the night, but actually going to bed with you and waking up with you? Refusing to sleep alone at all?

Old 08-22-2008, 12:55 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,298,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
*A question for all the co-sleepers.*

When is a child too old to be sleeping with the parents all night? I don't mean coming in during the night, but actually going to bed with you and waking up with you? Refusing to sleep alone at all?

It's up to the family, I say. My kids were 4ish. That's what worked for us but other than my example, if it's not bothering anyone in the famliy why put a "deadline" on it?

In some countries, there simply IS no other option!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:05 AM

294 posts, read 1,086,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Ok. This baffles me out of my gourd. lol....

It is unhealthy for everyone all-around....what kind of marriage survives this behavior. I know a few people that do this and I want to strangle them lol! I have twins and couldn't imagine them sleeping with us in the same room, let alone same bed for the last 3 years!! NO WAY!!!!and others think it's OK!

Anyone else?
To be honest it's none of your business how we parent our children, if they co-sleep with us or not and how our marriages survive is none of your business. I will not let you even attempt to make me feel bad for the choices i make and i am certainly not going to attempt to justify it to you either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting