Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:25 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times

Advertisements

Just got a phone call from a very close friend. She doesn't have myspace or facebook and no kids (recently married and no kids yet). Anyway, at the school she works in it has come to light to a few that a teacher has a myspace and is "inviting" students to become her "friends" on it. How would you react? Do you call the teacher if it were your kid was involved (being I'm not the students parent this doesn't really matter to me in this case)? The principal? The school board? The media? Or just go hang the teacher? I'd probably go hang the teacher if I had a kid in this persons class

I'm just glad this is not even in MY state much less city. whew........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Yes I would have a problem with it and I would clue the principal in on it . I think in this day and age it is highly inapropriate to have something like this going on . You can look at all the teachers that are messing with our kids these days . I used to think that some teachers had morals but now I wonder if even some of the principals have morals ? Yes I would most definately report it to the principal and let them speak with the teacher in question . I am sure that something will be done about it . good luck .

Old 04-20-2009, 12:48 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,860 times
In my opinion if you are a teacher you should NOT be using myspace because it's not worth it if it could come back to bite you in the end.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:11 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,612,344 times
Has anyone looked at her myspace to determine it's intent, or is the parent just assuming it's a personal page?

There are many people/companies who set up a professional myspace or facebook to use within their jobs, teachers included. So, first thing that should be done, if it has not been already, is determine the use of the site.

Many schools probably have a written policy regarding employee usage of such sites these days. Therefore, if it's determined to be a personal page to which current students are being invited, I'd suggest sending an email to the teacher, the Department Head and the Principal asking about the school district's policy regarding such sites. I'd also state my concerns that it is not appropriate and ask the teacher to remove all students who have become friends and make it a private page only.

In the district where my second oldest daughter teaches, anyone can now access facebook (and maybe myspace-though I'm not sure of that one) from any school computer. There the teachers are instructed to keep such sites private and not to have any current students in the school as 'friends'.

In the district where my oldest teaches, they are instructed to keep their sites appropriate, but not told to keep them private.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:16 PM

756 posts, read 2,218,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Has anyone looked at her myspace to determine it's intent, or is the parent just assuming it's a personal page?

There are many people/companies who set up a professional myspace or facebook to use within their jobs, teachers included. So, first thing that should be done, if it has not been already, is determine the use of the site.

Many schools probably have a written policy regarding employee usage of such sites these days. Therefore, if it's determined to be a personal page to which current students are being invited, I'd suggest sending an email to the teacher, the Department Head and the Principal asking about the school district's policy regarding such sites. I'd also state my concerns that it is not appropriate and ask the teacher to remove all students who have become friends and make it a private page only.

In the district where my second oldest daughter teaches, anyone can now access facebook (and maybe myspace-though I'm not sure of that one) from any school computer. There the teachers are instructed to keep such sites private and not to have any current students in the school as 'friends'.

In the district where my oldest teaches, they are instructed to keep their sites appropriate, but not told to keep them private.
These were my thoughts, too. Have any of the parents actually gone on the page and looked at it? My guess is that it is school related only and not personal.

I don't think a teacher would want or invite her students to be her friends on their personal Myspace or Facebook account.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:45 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Just got a phone call from a very close friend. She doesn't have myspace or facebook and no kids (recently married and no kids yet). Anyway, at the school she works in it has come to light to a few that a teacher has a myspace and is "inviting" students to become her "friends" on it. How would you react? Do you call the teacher if it were your kid was involved (being I'm not the students parent this doesn't really matter to me in this case)? The principal? The school board? The media? Or just go hang the teacher? I'd probably go hang the teacher if I had a kid in this persons class

I'm just glad this is not even in MY state much less city. whew........
Nothing phases me anymore...which is sad...

This morning on the Today Show, they interviewed a high school cheerleading coach who was fired for posing for Playboy's website.

According to her, "if you don't want to see the pictures, don't look". And, her doing sexual poses & being naked on the internet had NOTHING to do with her job mentoring teeange girls.....

Back before MySpace & Facebook, the school I taught at had a website & all the teachers HAD to have a webpage. It was not a choice. It could only be accessed through passwords. It was considered a way for parents, teachers & students to have constant communication. I hated it

So, it's more than likely that this is a general school related page on Facebook. Nothing wrong with that & if the parents do not wish for their children to partake, so be it. A person has to request to be "a friend" for access to most Facebook pages.

If the teacher was using for social interaction only & inviting students, they'd be fired in a heartbeat in about 99% of the school districts in this country. So, if this is the case, that teacher could be out of a job...and it would make the nightly news....

I am starting to believe that life before cell phones, the internet, and gizillion of channels on tv was much more productive & healthy for this world & our children.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
These were my thoughts, too. Have any of the parents actually gone on the page and looked at it? My guess is that it is school related only and not personal.

I don't think a teacher would want or invite her students to be her friends on their personal Myspace or Facebook account.
That is what I asked my friend. I did not get the teachers name. Hmm, maybe I will now so that I can look for myself. My friend that works in this same school told me she does NOT have a site on either and will not do it and will NOT "invite" students EVER. I asked her about the schools policy and she said they were never told they had to and no one has ever mentioned it. I assumed when I was talking to her that it would be clearly put out there that teachers could not do such (not w/ all of the improper allegations and relationships that are happening all of the time now w/ students & teachers).

I may call her this evening now and find out if she has personally looked at the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Nothing phases me anymore...which is sad...

Back before MySpace & Facebook, the school I taught at had a website & all the teachers HAD to have a webpage. It was not a choice. It could only be accessed through passwords. It was considered a way for parents, teachers & students to have constant communication. I hated it

So, it's more than likely that this is a general school related page on Facebook. Nothing wrong with that & if the parents do not wish for their children to partake, so be it. A person has to request to be "a friend" for access to most Facebook pages.

If the teacher was using for social interaction only & inviting students, they'd be fired in a heartbeat in about 99% of the school districts in this country. So, if this is the case, that teacher could be out of a job...and it would make the nightly news....

I am starting to believe that life before cell phones, the internet, and gizillion of channels on tv was much more productive & healthy for this world & our children.

I'm right there with you. The stuff that goes on now is insane.

In my kids schools the school has a website and from there you can EMAIL the teachers. The teachers even send home little cards at the beginning of the year to the PARENTS with their school phone number and email address. ALL ARE THRU THE SCHOOL and NOT personal.

If a district or school required that the teachers have such pages I'd fire back saying that in order to keep myself as "clear" as possible from ANY allegations I would not be having such. I'm sure it could stand up in court nowadays that a teacher could just say, "NO. I will NOT have a myspace or facebook page in order to talk outside of class with my students. It is improper behavior and I will not be a part of it".

If this teacher is doing on her personal time and seriously inviting these students she SHOULD be fired on the spot. What I don't get and I don't know the situation w/ the schools around my friends area but around here........ they are NOT hiring ANYONE right now. Hiring freezes in place and all. The recent school district job fairs were inundated w/ people and totally nuts. Teachers are not leaving their jobs and no one is hiring. Talk about cutting your own neck.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:43 PM

Okay, called my friend. While on the phone w/ her I looked up this womans myspace. IT AIN'T FOR HER JOB! Her home page tells about her and is NOT set to private. Also on the homepage is all this stuff about drinking. Since it is not private I went to her "friends page". We found at least 4 students and my friend RECOGNIZED them. Of course they put they are like 17 or 19 but they are SOOOO elementary age. There was NOTHING about this site that was for the benefit of the students to gain ACADEMIC knowledge from their teacher.

WRONG! JUST WRONG!

I told my friend I would not even bother discussing this with the teacher. I'd go straight to someone in admin. This teacher is OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER!!!! WOW! Just WOW!

Old 04-20-2009, 04:13 PM

650 posts, read 2,178,989 times
I agree that the teacher in question shouldn't be inviting students to be her "frined", but I think that she is perfectly within her rights to have the page to begin with. I have a friend from high school that is a teacher, and she has set her Facebook page to "unsearchable" so that her students can't be influenced by what she does on her off time.

I think that the teacher should be reported to the principal or someone higher up, but I think she is entitled to her own My Space/ Facebook as long as her students don't have access to it.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
I agree that the teacher in question shouldn't be inviting students to be her "frined", but I think that she is perfectly within her rights to have the page to begin with. I have a friend from high school that is a teacher, and she has set her Facebook page to "unsearchable" so that her students can't be influenced by what she does on her off time.

I think that the teacher should be reported to the principal or someone higher up, but I think she is entitled to her own My Space/ Facebook as long as her students don't have access to it.
That is the thing. She has ACCEPTED them as her "friends". Her page is also EASILY found. I found it as did my friend (we were on the phone together looking up the same thing). All we did was enter her name and city and VIOLA! There she was even saying she is a teacher and all. Her page is NOT private either. Anyone can see anything on it. So not becoming of a teacher. That is where I would draw the line. I don't care if they have them but to befriend KIDS that are your STUDENTS is just WRONG! Then right there on her homepage....... "drinking............. martini........ fun, partying, etc".

Anyway, I finished talking to my friend and here is the thing. She is new to this district and state. She has only been there 2 years and doesn't want to be labeled a "trouble maker" or anything. She may be coming back to her home state in a few years but right now she NEEDS her job and doesn't want to risk losing it for being the one not doing anything really wrong. She is debating about just blowing it off and keeping a close eye on her own students in this school and letting parents know of any red flag warnings. Or trying to figure out a trusted parent that she could let it "slip" and maybe THEY would turn the teacher in. Of course I told her she could always call the local news station and report it. Tough situation. I mean, if you were the parent of one of these kids and found out that is EASY! But being a coworker and in such a position....... not fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting