Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 06:41 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,017,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Because people from NY choose to live in gated communities and McMansions which do NOTHING but tear up the countryside and ruin the lifestyle they came here to enjoy! Now, some (but much less) move into the established communities and boroughs. That's much better.

Okay.. I can see that.. nah. .. listen..I'm into moving anywhere I can get a decent sized house with a nice plot of land that offers privacey , but still allwos me to be friendly with my neighbors.. old or new house.. don't care (actually I like old houses.. I'm an antique lover).. good schools with a good mix of people that are friendly but open minded is what i'm looking for. I don't want a McMansion per say.. but would love McLand..LOL. if you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 07:16 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,090,336 times
PA is a dying state. That's why I moved to Tampa, FL.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:20 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,313,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
PA is a dying state. That's why I moved to Tampa, FL.
*looks around, notices fastest growing region in the entire northeast. Goes back to skimming forums*

Old 09-05-2007, 10:36 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,681,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Wow.. why do you hate NY'rs..

I'm a new Yorker and joined this place trying to find a better place to live. Quite honestly my quality of life reallly Stinks here on LI. Property taxes are too high, housing prices are too high and I'm looking for a better place to live. . a place where I can stop working for just a little bit to enjoy some qualitytime with my son and the kids I want to have.. something that I can't afford to do where I live. It upsets me to here that people in PA may not like NY's or people from NJ or MD just looking for a better way of life.

I certainly hope that if I do move that people will be happy to have new neighbors looking to make their roots and call PA home. Because the next house I buy I plan on living in until my kids are grown with kids of their own..

And..yup..I want a nice plot of land for my kids to play on that affords me some neighbors, but with some privacey and space.. unlike what I get here on LI.

And.. give all those people from NY , NJ and MD a chance to learn the "slower" way to life.. because it's an adjustment. You have no idea how hard it is and how fast we have to move to survive here.. it takes some time to settle into a quieter life..but one they obviously so wanted by moving to PA.
You can have that wonderful land in the Brodheadsville, Kunkletown, Gilbert area. I hope you have been looking
Great Schools and Great land.......I'm in love with the views and space here.

Believe me when I say, it is mostly the "inner city" types that we wish would not venture here. The type of city they left is not like the area they have entered. The crime, hoodlums, the bad manners, and rudeness is not welcome. But, its going to happen, like it or not. Kanjorski just stated in todays Pocono record that " the Greater NY is coming West" he predicts
" the greater NY Metro area growing by 4 Million people in the next two decades"
I don't know if they can learn the slower pace of life. Lets just say some can, and some can't. I can tell that from a stop light area, or from a busy intersection. Hands go wild, and horns beep.......Yikes, this is not NY!
This is still the place to live.......just so soothing on ones soul.
The lakes will thrill you, the parks will make you smile. There are events at the Arena in Wilkes Barre. The Philly Zoo is not that far, Hershey, Sesame Street theme park in Longhorne. Skiing, tubing, boating.........never ending amounts of Fairs and Fun.
You'll never regret your move. Best of luck to you and Welcome.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:08 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,147,690 times
There's people around here who are close minded and hate everybody who does not come from their little small cliquy town!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:05 PM

10 posts, read 34,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Well, the small towns out here in western york/adams county don't really need help "bringing them back". I think anyone that hasn't lived rural dosen't understand that small towns in the middle of no where like being that way, and don't want it to change. Being able to park in the road blocking a lane, being able to pass tractors on 2 lane roads without trouble, being able to walk down the street and litterally hear no cars, they, and myself to an extension (I hate driving more than 2-5 minutes to a gas station and grocery store) like. And don't want that to change.

It's something you can't understand until you live it. I used to be pro-sprawl till I saw the otherside.
indeed, i'm from dover, born and raised my whole life, my parents are both from dover, and my gradparents all lived on farms here. within the last 5 years so much has changed. and every one here hates it, it wouldn't be so bad, but it drives up the costs of our housing, increases our taxes, and increases traffic. there was a cow farm beside my house and it just got bought by a developer, the guy is from arizona, hes just looking to make money, obviously haha. i don't know what all of this talk about educated people moving here, no one cares if they're educated or if they dropped out in 5th grade so they could pick pocket, especially places like york we have our own little culture, our own little dialect, and soon because of all the developing this will all be forgotten. it's all hard to explain though theres just alot of little things, the worst things though is like how down the street from me there used to be alot of woods with trails going all through them and everyone would go there for recreation and exercise or what ever, now i drive through the development that took its place and see all new pa plates and maryland license plates. in school all the kids from baltimore like to start trouble since they're so tough and from the big bad b-more. It's really just gangs of new york all over. not that my opinion matters

Old 10-25-2007, 03:07 PM

60 posts, read 375,798 times
As a recent transplant from MD to PA, I will say what I have observed since moving.

'Some' (notice the quotes b/c too many people here a painting with a broad stroke) people who are native PA'ers are close minded, NIMBY's (not in my back yard).

Urban Sprawl is a fact of life. We are producing more humans than are dying. We have a finite amount of land (until we take over the middle east ). I understand the want for keeping sprawl out.

My father and mother grew up on Farms in Illinois and NC respectively. My father is part of the farm land trust which trys to save farms from developers.

MD residents have every right to move where ever they please. Free country and all. People being pissed about them moving here need to realize it is the 21st century. While it is nice to have small towns, the suburbs are here to stay.

If PA farmers dont have a voice in the state congress, then they are stupid. The problem with people yelling to stay out is

1) it doesnt work

2) you should be spending that energy trying to change the development laws in PA.

In conclusion, your hate doesnt change a thing. Your college education, social status, or where you were born doesnt change a thing. Only you can change things.

So be proactive. Smart growth is a great principle, but in reality it is almost impossible to achieve. Because you cannot completely cap growth, b/c ammendments and the need for growth will always out weigh the concerns of the few who have spoken.

It is all futile if you dont walk the walk. Just like sherly crow who suggested we all need to do our part by limiting out toilet paper usage to one square. Saying this from he 3 tour bus entourage which produces enough carbon dioxide to kill a flock of geese.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:42 PM

511 posts, read 1,938,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinbeach2128 View Post
just asking i love pennsylvania
I stayed at a mountain bike resort about four years ago on the PA/MD border; I could not get over how friendly and low key people are in that area. People wave to you while you're driving as if they've known you forever.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:28 PM

12 posts, read 46,717 times
Wow, Y'all are so welcoming...hahahaha

I have been looking at houses in the York/New Oxford/ Hanover/ Etc. I agree a lot of the same homes in new developments; however, I saw a lot of "community". Each of these new communities become contributing parts of the "Bigger Pie".

I am in an interesting position. I have been visiting the area for work during the past 10 years and will be re-locating in the next 6 months. I can quickly assimilate to most areas but I "sound funny". Imagine, being told that you sound funny, even in jest? My Real Estate guy is great at taking me (and my wife) into some very local spots that I wouldn't find. Once people get past me "talking funny" they are happy and eager to learn about my position, why would I come to the area, could they be of help, look forward to seeing you again "hon".

I live in a 100 year old home and love it. The challenge with trying to find the same thing again comes to timing. Wife and I will likely end up in a newer development and it will likely make it easier for us to earn the trust of a new group of friends.

Walk to your neighbour, Say Hello, offer a beer or a coffee. Life doesn't have to be hard, look for the ways to meet new people, rather than point from the other side of the room. Imagine what you could learn?

Old 10-25-2007, 08:06 PM

113 posts, read 550,129 times
Interesting thread.

We are moving to PA from Minnesota. We live in the midst of a great sprawl and are looking forward to our new home (I think all new homes in PA must be called McMansions) in Lower Macungie. When I lived in Tokyo, I said I'd never complain about crowds or traffic again. After living back in MN for only a couple years I started complaining about traffic! We as a human race tend to complain about things, even when we have it pretty good. A shame, isn't it? That is our human nature, however, and except for the grace of God, we are stuck with it. I hope when we move, that I will focus on the many positives of the area, remember thankfully the great things about MN, and not complain about what is different (especially if I'm not willing to work toward a solution myself). The "sprawl" of Lower Macungie feels very minimal to me -- coming from the area I live. I can't wait for my "big" yard (1/2 acre is HUGE to us) and small development (again, we are used to much bigger housing developments). However, I tried to focus on the many benefits my family received from living amidst such a suburb and I will miss many of those aspects I'm sure.

I think it is good for communities to develop smart, but development is good and will continue to happen. What did the area around Philly look like 75 years ago? I know that St. Paul and Minneapolis surrounding areas have begun to sprawl earlier than 75 years ago, and it will continue to happen. Homes that were affordable to middle class families in the 70's were ramblers and split entries that all looked the same. Builders build what people for the most part want (unless you can afford a custom built home -- which isn't what most can afford). Sprawl and development always happens, always will, and those who move into those homes are not the enemy, but most likey families who want to give their kids a good community and work hard to better their lives to contribute to the world.

I am happy to be blessed to have the means to give my kids a nice house with plenty of room to entertain friends and neighbors and a big yard in a safe area for great summer-time fun of water balloon fights, touch football games, and backyard bbqs.

We are moving to PA because it had a great job opportunity for my husband. I'm looking forward to meeting many kind people in PA this winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania