Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:46 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

Advertisements

RecordsPedia | Wyandotte, Michigan Genealogy Research Tools (29815)

For anyone who is interested this is the website for the place where Louise died in 1981. (Louise Nikonowicz) I thought there might be a way of getting an obituary through this site but it may not be worth the trouble because the daughters were taken away from her when they were very young. She may have never known what happened to them.

The girls never went with her to Michigan, they stayed in PA and could have been under the name Ward or Rush. (Rush being the mother's maiden name.) Another possible surname could have been Wolfe. They were separated from Louise between 1945 and 1952; she had a mental breakdown.

There is a related family tree on Ancestry and the OP has contacted the owner this past year. Back in 2004 the owner was on an Ancestry message board about Ward family--looking for sister, adoption, looking for parents. I think the older sister was not a daughter by Donald Ward. Maybe that's why they became separated, if they did. Maybe the Ward family took in the Ward daughter and the other one was adopted out.

I think if an answer can be found it would probably be in Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 12:16 PM

14,478 posts, read 20,657,588 times
Those who are still living may be too far removed to know any of the others much less something about them.

I have searched the address where Louise McMillan lived from 1948 to ?
I have someone helping to locate the owners after 1947. Since Louise remarried Nikonowicz, her previous husband may have continued to live at the address after the divorce. Louise was a Mother and Grandmother to many, so there may be some McMillan's born and raised in Michigan that remember something.

Last edited by howard555; 12-26-2013 at 12:40 PM..

Old 12-26-2013, 12:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
If you find out where he went to high school, I'll try to find a yearbook since I live nearby.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:31 PM

Another route is to see if any of his fellow soldiers are still alive. They might have a picture of him. There was a woman who was trying to find her biological father. She posted on the facebook page for the battalion her father was in and someone remembered him.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:38 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
I'm in the process of unraveling this. Their families are interwoven. I research back prior to researching to present day to build references properly.

So far I have determined that Donald Ward was greatgrandson of Silas &Maria Roupe and that Helen Louise was the greatgreatgranddaughter of Silas &Maria Roupe.

Donald Ward was Donald W Loughman (in 1920&1930 censuses of John B Ward's) but used the last name Ward by 1940 census and later when he enlisted WWII. He was raised by his grandparents John B Ward & Lena L Roupe.....Lena was daughter of Silas & Maria Roupe. Silas was a Civil War veteran of Company G, 18th Pennsylvania Cavalry.
I have not found documentation yet to determine which of John B Ward's daughters---Daisy, Pearl, Mary---was Donald's mother.

Helen Louise lived in her grandfather's Phillip B Rush house in 1930. It appears her father was Ernest Blair Rush, however, his sisters were Bernice I and Georgia L....Blair Rush was a married lodger living without his wife while 4 Rush children-Helen L, Betty J, WilliamL, & HelenJ were in Phillip B Rush's home. Phillip's wife Viola had died by then, but she was Viola Roupe, daughter of Lydia Adams & Francis M Roupe who was eldest son of Silas & Maria Roupe.

In 1940 Greene County, West Waynesburg, Pennsylvania in John B Ward's 69 house, he lived with his wife Lena 71 (Roupe), his grandson Donald 27, Phillip B Rush 71 (widower of Lena's niece Viola Roupe), and Homer C Renner 28 relationship undetermined. Next door George Roupe 55 household.

There are trees posted for Helen Louise Rush and Donald Ward-- which I am in process of proving/disproving by Kochi g appropriate documentation. I will post my findings of their respective parent identities here once confirmed.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:39 PM

McMillan must be a big family name down in Canonsburg because the new school district is called Canon-McMillan School District.

Can someone figure out where he went to high school? Do we know where he was born? Did he live in Canonsburg his entire life?

Since I live in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area, I'm going to try to track down a yearbook. The OP would like to see a picture of him.

I need somewhere to start. He could have gone to Catholic school.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Donald Ward was Donald W Loughman (in 1920&1930 censuses of John B Ward's) but used the last name Ward by 1940 census and later when he enlisted WWII. He was raised by his grandparents John B Ward & Lena L Roupe.....Lena was daughter of Silas & Maria Roupe. Silas was a Civil War veteran of Company G, 18th Pennsylvania Cavalry.
I have not found documentation yet to determine which of John B Ward's daughters---Daisy, Pearl, Mary---was Donald's mother.
Do we know Donald's birthdate? Was he born in Washington County or Green County or elsewhere? Was his birth name Loughman?

Old 12-26-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Those who are still living may be too far removed to know any of the others much less something about them.

I have searched the address where Louise McMillan lived from 1948 to ?
I have someone helping to locate the owners after 1947. Since Louise remarried Nikonowicz, her previous husband may have continued to live at the address after the divorce. Louise was a Mother and Grandmother to many, so there may be some McMillan's born and raised in Michigan that remember something.
Are you sure this McMillan isn't from southwestern Pennsylvania? McMillan is an historical family name the Canonsburg, Washington County area.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:01 PM

14,478 posts, read 20,657,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Do we know Donald's birthdate? Was he born in Washington County or Green County or elsewhere? Was his birth name Loughman?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Are you sure this McMillan isn't from southwestern Pennsylvania? McMillan is an historical family name the Canonsburg, Washington County area.
The Op said she married Mr. McMillan in 1948 and they moved to tiny Ecorse Mi. Interesting place to decide to relocate to, unless they had some connection, be it McMillan relatives, or friends, or job related.

John Wolfe is mentioned by the Op as a half brother, about 30 years old.
Donald Ward was born 15th April 1913.

The 1940 Census showed that Homer only graduated grade school.
So, unless Donald went to high school whereas his friend and household member did not, there may not be a yearbook photo.

The census says they lived in Franklin Township in Greene County in 1940.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:37 PM

What branch of the military was he in? What division, etc.? I can go to the veterans club in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search