Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2019, 02:51 PM

197 posts, read 196,062 times

Advertisements

Does anyone reading this thread have any recommendation on a free search site that might allow me to pull up people using just first name maybe middle initial and date of birth for all 50 states? This might pull up potential matches for Mildreds born on 14 April 1928. Possible middle initials could be M or G (G for Galvin) as a lot of women then replaced their middle name with their Maiden name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 04:24 PM

14,485 posts, read 20,667,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/06/a...s-in-1959.html

This might explain why the three women were visiting and possibly why they met Castro (maybe just a publicity event)

I should add, looking for death records of a car crash in early 60's you might look at neighboring states such as Connecticut, New Jersey and even go so far as Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island. If she was a nanny with someone in NYC it is possible she was with that family traveling for vacation.
Good link though it does not give me time to read it.

Mildred left the villa in 1960 and returned to NYC. As far as we know that was the end of her role as a nanny. Nanette was age 17 at the time and left the villa about the same time as Mildred did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
Does anyone reading this thread have any recommendation on a free search site that might allow me to pull up people using just first name maybe middle initial and date of birth for all 50 states? This might pull up potential matches for Mildreds born on 14 April 1928. Possible middle initials could be M or G (G for Galvin) as a lot of women then replaced their middle name with their Maiden name.
That's what is needed. A 48 state search leaving out CT and NY. Anything is possible at this point and very easy for Mildred to have returned to NYC and in the near term took a bus or train to another state and remarried. Nothing in NY to tell where she went and marriage records would be located in the state where she relocated. Easily a possible scenario and my personal view on what happened. If not then an accident but most accidents involving a fatality should have turned up in the newspaper.

That is a reason to use more than one site for DNA which I think Roselvr has suggsted. She was only age 33 years old and you may have a step sibling.

Last edited by howard555; 01-24-2019 at 04:40 PM..

Old 01-24-2019, 04:37 PM

14 posts, read 10,522 times
You're welcome. I was hoping the burial plot would uncover some sort of clue/surprise but still more tidbits than before.

I'm trying to think of what ways are left as grasping at straws for so long -- my ideas -- and please forgive me if addressed or previously suggested - I've read through the thread in its entirety twice but may have forgotten pieces touched on briefly.

--- Reach out to Connecticut counties nearby for the divorce record of your parents - this may at least provide an address for Mildred we can extrapolate to who she was living with in city directories - or give you more explanation about the separation. Slim chance this document may contain her SSN to help trace her.

--- I believe you said you had done AncestryDNA. Have you tried uploading the DNA file to Gedmatch, MyHeritage and ftDNA? I'm using this method to help my Mom's cousin piece together her grandparents and father's true identity. Happy to help you on how to do this via DM. It may lead to half-siblings or your mother if they exist and tested.

--- Reach out to your local congressperson and explain your journey. Maybe they could put an easy call into State Department or Social Security Office as you know she had a passport. With her parents names, her DOB, and place of birth - a record could be located. If she passed in the last 3 years, it would explain why her SSN is not in the death index. This seems unconventional but may be a very easy way to obtain information that is in the public domain but not easily available. I know they can pull strings for constituents easily.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:28 PM

197 posts, read 196,062 times
Default Passport

Mildred's trip to Cuba was without a passport, and the same applies for her traveling companions Nanette and Esperanza.

So far my DNA raw files are on Ancestry.Com and My Heritage. I will try to get them up on one or two more sites that you mentioned. As always I have many irons in the fire at this time. The goal with DNA was always the chance that a half-brother or half-sister that I do not know about would pop-up and give me something else to pursue.

Even I have not read the entire thread twice, LOL

Old 01-24-2019, 07:19 PM

14 posts, read 10,522 times
Ah, didn't realize the passport issue -- different times. Congressman till may be worth a shot with an SSN who knows.

LOL I can't even remember how I stumbled upon the thread - but it was accidental - and read it all in one night recently hoping by the end it had been solved. I love a mystery/genealogical challenge.

Gedmatch Genesis is a bit ugly to use but you never know where something might hit! There's an answer somewhere out there.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:07 PM

7,520 posts, read 13,634,207 times
Quote:
The free FamilySearch website allows searchs by just First name, but only Year of birth, not month or day

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1202535

So using FS's SSDI page, it found 1,870 Mildreds with birth year of 1928. The listings then have a complete birth date. Then searching with DOB of 14 April thru 25 pages, 75 names at a page, 7 Mildreds had a DOB of 14 April 1928

As follows by last name on SSDI record, DOD, Place
Rogers 1986 FL
Benningfield 2006 TX
Collentro 2007 Lexington MA
Knotts 1982 NC
Eurich 1996 Orange NY
Loving 1983 TN
Walker 1965 NC

Good Luck.........

Old 01-25-2019, 05:13 AM

23,873 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
I worked a case a few years ago where they used one site to try to find records via DOB. That site is DOBsearch.com according to my notes

Turns out she was found on find a grave on Hart Island NY a year after her sister started looking for her. You just never know where someone will turn up. It started just like you looking for your mom but turned into a nightmare for her sister who's now my friend. One site decided she was a match to one of my Jane Doe cases. They even put it on facebook where it went viral. Her sister suffered from it.

As I've said, there is one Jane Doe that very well could be your mother and at some point you may have to report her missing. You really should get over to social security to see if she even had one.

I'm showing 2 sites used in my notes; this was the other site used Peoplefinders.com

DOBsearch.com 41 Mildred's with her DOB
5 Mildred M with her DOB
5 Mildred G with her DOB
4 Mildred B with her DOB assuming she used your last name as middle. We just don't know

Quote:
Mildred's trip to Cuba was without a passport, and the same applies for her traveling companions Nanette and Esperanza.

So far my DNA raw files are on Ancestry.Com and My Heritage. I will try to get them up on one or two more sites that you mentioned. As always I have many irons in the fire at this time. The goal with DNA was always the chance that a half-brother or half-sister that I do not know about would pop-up and give me something else to pursue.

Even I have not read the entire thread twice, LOL
I personally think you should buy a 23 and me family finder test unless you can afford health too. Let's face it, you don't know what health issues are on your mothers side. Unfortunately they rarely allow uploads, I have not caught it yet. Lots of people do 23 and me for the health so you never know. 23 and me people do upload to GEDmatch Genesis but not everyone does. Genesis is useful for them as well as smaller places. You really have to have an iron in all fires.

Do you have any matches that you can say come from each side? Are you using the Ancestry and My Heritage apps? I've found it's easier to use both with the apps.

As I told you in DM, if you'd like any of the Galvin find a graves I made, send me a transfer request; I'll be happy to give them to you. I do have your grandfathers and Donald's I believe.

Last edited by Roselvr; 01-25-2019 at 06:07 AM..

Old 01-25-2019, 07:06 AM

14,485 posts, read 20,667,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
The free FamilySearch website allows searchs by just First name, but only Year of birth, not month or day
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1202535
So using FS's SSDI page, it found 1,870 Mildreds with birth year of 1928. The listings then have a complete birth date. Then searching with DOB of 14 April thru 25 pages, 75 names at a page, 7 Mildreds had a DOB of 14 April 1928
As follows by last name on SSDI record, DOD, Place
Rogers 1986 FL
Benningfield 2006 TX
Collentro 2007 Lexington MA
Knotts 1982 NC
Eurich 1996 Orange NY
Loving 1983 TN
Walker 1965 NC
Good Luck.........
Good job reed303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I worked a case a few years ago where they used one site to try to find records via DOB. That site is DOBsearch.com
As I've said, there is one Jane Doe that very well could be your mother and at some point you may have to report her missing. You really should get over to social security to see if she even had one.
I'm showing 2 sites used in my notes; this was the other site used Peoplefinders.com

DOBsearch.com 41 Mildred's with her DOB
5 Mildred M with her DOB
5 Mildred G with her DOB
4 Mildred B with her DOB assuming she used your last name as middle. We just don't know
Good work Roselvr.

And all stones do need to be turned over as you suggest.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:18 AM

672 posts, read 503,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

That is a reason to use more than one site for DNA which I think Roselvr has suggsted. She was only age 33 years old and you may have a step sibling.
That would be a half sibling not step sibling

Old 01-26-2019, 03:25 AM

23,873 posts, read 33,581,353 times
I want to give this a bump. It's why Mr Skin should go to his local social security office to order her records. Also do Mildred's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Is anyone looking at newspaper sites? Please let me know. I haven't seen historyfan here so can send her a PM to see if she's able to find anything but I don't want her to do what someone else is already doing.

I doubt her death was unknown, it was just not digitalized yet. Social security was new back in January 1937. It went thru a lot of changes. Under the original 1935 law, what we now think of as Social Security only paid retirement benefits to the primary worker. A 1939 change in the law added survivors benefits and benefits for the retiree's spouse and children. In 1956 disability benefits were added.

If none of the relatives know about Mildred or Jennie, Mr Skin should try his local office to see what he can get in person with all of his docs.

Q9: What information is available from Social Security records to help in genealogical research?
A: You might want to start by checking out the Social Security Death Index which is available online from a variety of commercial services (usually the search is free). The Death Index contains a listing of persons who had a Social Security number, who are deceased, and whose death was reported to the Social Security Administration. (The information in the Death Index for people who died prior to 1962 is sketchy since SSA's death information was not automated before that date. Death information for persons who died before 1962 is generally only in the Death Index if the death was actually reported to SSA after 1962, even though the death occurred prior to that year.)

If you find a person in the Death Index you will learn the date of birth and Social Security Number for that person. (The Social Security Death Index is not published by SSA for public use, but is made available by commercial entities using information from SSA records. We do not offer support of these commercial products nor can we answer questions about the material in the Death Index.)

Other records potentially available from SSA include the Application for a Social Security Number (form SS-5). To obtain any information from SSA you will need to file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request.

FOIA request - Deceased Individual's Information

We will not disclose information about any person in our records unless: 1) the number holder has provided written consent or we have acceptable proof of his or her death; or 2) the number holder is at least 100 years old and we have acceptable proof of his or her death; or 3) the number holder is more than 120 years old.

In addition, we do not release the parents’ names unless: 1) we have the parents’ written consent or acceptable proof of death for the parents; or 2) the number holder is at least 100 years old and we have acceptable proof of his or her death; or 3) the number holder is more than 120 years old.

Acceptable proofs of death include:

a copy of a public record of death; or
a statement of death from a funeral director; or
a statement of death by the attending physician or the superintendent, physician, or intern of the institution where the person died; or
a copy of the coroner’s report of death or the verdict of the coroner’s jury; or
a copy of an official report of death or finding of death made by an agency or department of the U.S. which is authorized or required to make such a report or finding in the administration of any law in the U.S.; or
an obituary with sufficient identifying information.
Also want to bump this. There is a reason her social had the hit in 1947, I wonder if it was when she was admitted? As I said, I have a case where there are date notes of names the "missing" person used; these correspond to every child she had but it was the 80's I believe. Mr Skin can use this year as a starting point at social security when he orders her records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Just a quick note on the Social Security record for Jane Ney Galvin. It does NOT list her date of death as 1947.

Here is the exact record as it appears on Ancestry:

Name: Jane Ney Galvin
[Jane Esther Ney]
Race: White
Birth Date: 14 Apr 1895
Birth Place: Meriden N H, Connecticut
Father: John Ney
Mother: Mary Fisher
SSN: 042245214
Notes: Feb 1947: Name listed as JANE NEY GALVIN

So the "note" on the record merely shows that in Feb 1947 her name was recorded as Jane Ney Galvin with Social Security. It doesn't say she died in 1947.

Also, note that this record is NOT from the Social Security death index. It is from this source:

U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015.
Original data: Social Security Applications and Claims, 1936-2007.

It is my understanding that this database (the "Claims Index") shows records for when people applied to receive social security benefits. These could be disability benefits or social security retirement benefits.

So, if Jane Ney Galvin is the same person as Jennie Ney Galvin (and again, we haven't yet confirmed that in any way), this is not a record of her death. It is a record of her applying for social security benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search