Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 01:51 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,275,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Unless you are willing to sell you house or your car in a heartbeat (doubtful), you shouldn't count the equity for those items in your net worth.
Yeah I wouldn't count a car unless it hits rock bottom at 2k and won't go lower as networth. People don't buy cars to increase their networth. A house should count though. Your putting 100k (random example) into it and you hope to get that much at least out of it when you sell. We all know that the new 2013 30k car won't be worth 30k when paid off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 01:59 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
I was around 23 years old when I got my first $100k. I was able to reach this amount from my stock investments and options.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:17 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,525,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Unless you are willing to sell you house or your car in a heartbeat (doubtful), you shouldn't count the equity for those items in your net worth.
Net worth is assets minus liabilities. Liquid has nothing to do with it by definition.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Yeah I wouldn't count a car unless it hits rock bottom at 2k and won't go lower as networth. People don't buy cars to increase their networth. A house should count though. Your putting 100k (random example) into it and you hope to get that much at least out of it when you sell. We all know that the new 2013 30k car won't be worth 30k when paid off.
Your 401k or your house can go down. Networth changes daily as all of your assets can go up and down unless it is under your be or in a CD,etc.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:39 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
Including your home equity in your net worth is your choice.

There is no right or wrong answer and both can be debated for days.

People who say it shouldn't be included often say a house brings a lot of liabilities and if you were to sell your house, you'll still have to live somewhere, which will cost money.

People who say it should be included often say I have equity in my house that I could sell for $xxxxxxx in this market plus I count my mortgage as a liability, so why shouldn't I count my home equity as an asset.

Just some examples...

Old 04-27-2013, 08:28 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,081,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugzmom View Post
ditto....your "oh how much money do you have" mentality is stomach turning!guess what I could go kiss my five year old if I wanted to!! And know what? I do so..
Have fun saving.
Why be poor?

If you have a few bucks, nice house you can still kiss your kid! I would work harder to provide for my kids, nice home/neighborhood/education, etc.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:39 PM

213 posts, read 728,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Your 401k or your house can go down. Networth changes daily as all of your assets can go up and down unless it is under your be or in a CD,etc.
Some people have a hard time understanding simple topics

Old 04-27-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwind View Post
Some people have a hard time understanding simple topics
be was supposed to be bed. Technically even that would be valued less daily.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:02 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,365,410 times
30. That was after years of financial mismanagement (where I bought a place WAY too early, didn't save nearly as much for retirement as I should have, etc). The good news was that my job allowed me to save well once I got my head out of my butt.

+1 to living below your means, having few indulgences, and making smart financial decisions.

By 31 I had enough to pay 20% down on my house. At 32 I'm now maxing out the Roth for my wife and I, I'm investing the maximum allowed by the IRS into the 401k and am keeping a healthy 3 months of emergency funds in the bank (which is probably longer than 3 months given my expenses would change if I were to, heaven forbid, lose my job or be unable to work).

And say what you will about my 9-5. But I find the work fascinating (I'm in a highly technical position in a cutting edge field). I also have time to pursue my other interests in life through hobbies.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:08 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,460,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
True, but the main difference vis-a-vis a car is that cars are inherently depreciating assets.* 401ks and houses may go down, but the average graph of value over time for those looks completely different than that of a car or other depreciating asset. Or, to put another way, 'potential for loss' vs. 'guarantee of loss', with the former also having a 'potential for gain' that the latter doesn't possess.

* of course there are exceptions for collector's items and high-end stuff, but that's not what we're talking about here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance