Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 10:32 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,275,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codexone View Post
Umm.. good for you?! I guess.
Its never good to take from a retirement fund. Why would you just not want to have some liquid cash lying around? Your first thought is to take from a retirement fund isn't good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 AM

116 posts, read 212,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Its never good to take from a retirement fund. Why would you just not want to have some liquid cash lying around? Your first thought is to take from a retirement fund isn't good.
Because keeping liquid cash is losing money. I would rather see it grow over a modest 6% YoY, than see it rotting in a bank account. One doesn't have to invest it in retirement fund, it just needs to be invested, otherwise the net worth will decay.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:00 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,275,107 times
Quote:
Because keeping liquid cash is losing money. I would rather see it grow over a modest 6% YoY, than see it rotting in a bank account. One doesn't have to invest it in retirement fund, it just needs to be invested, otherwise the net worth will decay.
Agreed. Yet you said if you needed money you would take a 401k loan. Put liquid cash somewhere where it can grow and use that for an emergency. Don't screw with your retirement is all I'm getting at.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Agreed. Yet you said if you needed money you would take a 401k loan. Put liquid cash somewhere where it can grow and use that for an emergency. Don't screw with your retirement is all I'm getting at.
I put it in my retirement fund because for me, it grew manifold, since my employer was matching my contribution 100% for the first 5% and 50% for the remaining 5%. It worked for me and might not work for everyone. Nevertheless, I would argue that investing in 401k is still better than keeping it in the bank.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:58 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugzmom View Post
Oh I never said I don't work hard that was I guess an assumption made by you because I can admit to not having 100k in a bank somewhere and still be happy? You know what they say happens when you assume.... And by the way I provide for my children all their needs..and alot of their wants!! My mentality was attacked simply because my admitting to being poor by the 100k measure?
No, your mentality was attacked because it came through loud and clear that you think badly of anyone who desires to build wealth over time (per your "stomach turning" comment). While the poster who responded to you made some inaccurate assumptions about you, you also have also done the same regarding people who desire wealth.

If you don't like being attacked, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to attack other people yourself. Time to look in the mirror

Old 04-29-2013, 02:02 PM

680 posts, read 1,922,278 times
Quote:
I put it in my retirement fund because for me, it grew manifold, since my employer was matching my contribution 100% for the first 5% and 50% for the remaining 5%. It worked for me and might not work for everyone. Nevertheless, I would argue that investing in 401k is still better than keeping it in the bank.
I never said an emergency fund should just be cash in a bank account. You only have $5000 of accessible funds that don't come along with huge tax and early withdrawal penalties.

Your 401K is absolutely the WRONG place to save your emergency funds.

Did you ever think about opening up a standard investment account where you may only have to pay long term capital gains instead of income tax on a 401K withdrawal?

Did you ever think about opening up a ROTH IRA where you can withdraw your contributions tax free and without penalty?

Old 04-29-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post
I never said an emergency fund should just be cash in a bank account. You only have $5000 of accessible funds that don't come along with huge tax and early withdrawal penalties.

Your 401K is absolutely the WRONG place to save your emergency funds.

Did you ever think about opening up a standard investment account where you may only have to pay long term capital gains instead of income tax on a 401K withdrawal?

Did you ever think about opening up a ROTH IRA where you can withdraw your contributions tax free and without penalty?
Look, both Roth IRA and standard investment accounts are a good idea but it was not right for me at my previous employer with generous matches to 401(K). In case you're wondering, employers contribute to 401(K) but not to IRAs.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
My point was that you paid your car off before funding an emergency account.

Of course I know that employers contribute to 401Ks... that's why I had twice as much as you did at the age of 30 in my 401K... and I still contributed to a ROTH and Fidelity Brokerage account.

Your decision to pay off your entry level BMW, present it as part of your net worth, and disregard other savings vehicles shows how flawed your personal finance strategy is.
I had to pay off my car because I needed to get a mortgage loan and my credit history in this country is only 6 years old. I'm an immigrant and there are certain things I need to do differently. I'm still doing quite well, thank you very much!

You're the one comparing schlongs here, not me!

All I'm saying is that, since my car is paid off, I can use the money that I will save and invest it in the market.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:56 PM

680 posts, read 1,922,278 times
Quote:
I had to pay off my car because I needed to get a mortgage loan and my credit history in this country is only 6 years old. I'm an immigrant and there are certain things I need to do differently. I'm still doing quite well, thank you very much!

You're the one comparing schlongs here, not me!

All I'm saying is that, since my car is paid off, I can use the money that I will save and invest it in the market.
Hmm.. well I guess my deletion didn't happen until AFTER you saw it

Quote:
"You're the one comparing schlongs here, not me!"
Umm.. the whole reason you even joined this thread was to brag about your "$167K" of net worth.

What was that about comparing schlongs? Nice try though!

In any case, I agree you are doing well... but it's obviously gotten to your head.

Good luck!

Old 04-29-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Hmm.. well I guess my deletion didn't happen until AFTER you saw it
Yep, gotcha! (j/k)

Quote:
Umm.. the whole reason you even joined this thread was to brag about your "$167K" of net worth.

What was that about comparing schlongs? Nice try though!

In any case, I agree you are doing well... but it's obviously gotten to your head.

Good luck!
No no, you misread me. I joined the personal finance forum to get ideas for investing and increasing my wealth with my disposable income, now that I have completed a house purchase. And in that process I replied in a thread about my net worth, to get an idea on where I am, in the percentile level, which was the point of this thread. You however, bragged about your maximum contributions and yet investing in a Roth 401k and having investment accounts. So, i was trying to get a sense of where I stand while you were comparing schlongs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance