Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 03:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
The real debate over whether to include your house or not is dependent on whether you count your house as an asset or not. Most financial advisors would say that to do so is dependent on where you are in life and whether you want to stay in said house or downside, move on, etc.
its something you own that has value, how could it not be an asset?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 03:40 PM

106,728 posts, read 108,937,910 times
it is an asset and whether you count it or not depends on for what purpose you are counting it.

if i wanted a snap shot of my net worth i count it.

for purposes of figuring retirement income ,no i would not count it.

investable assets -nope

membership at the country club-usually exclude primary residence.

estate planning - count it

Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 PM

85 posts, read 192,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
No, your mentality was attacked because it came through loud and clear that you think badly of anyone who desires to build wealth over time (per your "stomach turning" comment). While the poster who responded to you made some inaccurate assumptions about you, you also have also done the same regarding people who desire wealth.

If you don't like being attacked, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to attack other people yourself. Time to look in the mirror
Wrong...I put in a silly little post about being poor and happy THEN my mentality was attacked. Look back. My fault, I stepped into the snake den,thinking I was at the petting zoo.

Hate is a pretty strong word.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Including your home equity in your net worth is your choice.

There is no right or wrong answer and both can be debated for days.
i dont understand some people's logic. its not your choice to exclude your home in your net worth. its something that either is worth something that you own or its debt that substracts from your worth. you cant just choose not to include it. like someone else said, the liquidity of the asset doesnt change things as far as being part of your worth.

now the value you put on it at any given moment is subjective and can change over time.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:57 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,525,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont understand some people's logic. its not your choice to exclude your home in your net worth. its something that either is worth something that you own or its debt that substracts from your worth. you cant just choose not to include it. like someone else said, the liquidity of the asset doesnt change things as far as being part of your worth.

now the value you put on it at any given moment is subjective and can change over time.
If your calculation is not assets-liabilities then you are not talking about net worth. They need to come up with a term that applies to their calculation because it is not their net worth.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
If your calculation is not assets-liabilities then you are not talking about net worth. They need to come up with a term that applies to their calculation because it is not their net worth.
maybe they should use net working capital.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:17 PM

995 posts, read 3,931,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Including your home equity in your net worth is your choice.

There is no right or wrong answer and both can be debated for days.
I understand where you are coming from. But OP clearly asked us to include home equity in net worth. If one doesn't include it, then he's not answering OP's question.

OP wrote: "By saving first 100K, I meant in terms of networth. If you own a house with 100K in equity, then that also counts too."

Old 04-29-2013, 08:18 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugzmom View Post
Wrong...I put in a silly little post about being poor and happy THEN my mentality was attacked. Look back. My fault, I stepped into the snake den,thinking I was at the petting zoo.

Hate is a pretty strong word.
Eh... I DID look back. And quite frankly even your initial post had a snarky tone to it. You made it sound like having money or being happy was an either/or type thing, when it is not.

Yes, hate is a strong word, although I didn't use it to describe you or any of your comments.

You didn't step into a snake den. You actually were the one to stir things up. This thread was civilized until you made your initial snarky comment.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:21 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
I understand where you are coming from. But OP clearly asked us to include home equity in net worth. If one doesn't include it, then he's not answering OP's question.

OP wrote: "By saving first 100K, I meant in terms of networth. If you own a house with 100K in equity, then that also counts too."
Ok, I missed that part. Personally, I don't think it should be counted, but that isn't what the OP asked.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:14 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,238,906 times
I guess you could say I was 14 when I came across my first $100K. My dad drowned in a boating accident while fishing on the second day I attended high school. My grandmother suggested that my mom distribute the life insurance payout evenly between my mom, sister, and brother (this disqualified all of us for college financial aid). 18 years later, I have yet to spend a dime of it. I worked full-time through college (maxed my 401k and Roth IRA) and lived at my mom's house while attending a state university. I was 25 when I saved my first "earned" $100K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance