Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 12:21 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,047,339 times

Advertisements

I've done a little reading, as when on our Chase Freedom account webpage, I get a popup saying we're approved for both of the Sapphire accounts.

I read somewhere that flights booked through the Chase Expedia portal were considerable more expensive than directly through the airline.

Probably best we stick to simple cash back cards as pretty much the only travel we do is back and forth to a second home. That does involve E-Z pass usage, as does our everyday life, so would be nice to get some return on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 12:28 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I've done a little reading, as when on our Chase Freedom account webpage, I get a popup saying we're approved for both of the Sapphire accounts.

I read somewhere that flights booked through the Chase Expedia portal were considerable more expensive than directly through the airline.

Probably best we stick to simple cash back cards as pretty much the only travel we do is back and forth to a second home. That does involve E-Z pass usage, as does our everyday life, so would be nice to get some return on that.

Both the freedom and freedom unlimited are eligible to redeem points for cash. If you have one of the sapphires you can move points back and forth between the freedoms/sapphires. The sapphires allow you to transfer to points to travel partners and one of the best redemption options tends to be Hyatt hotels.

Earn 3x in travel, ie ez pass on the sapphire reserved and if you want to do a cash redemption you just move the points to freedom and redeem. Most of my Hyatt redemptions are at a minimum of 2 cent per point but often 5 cpp pr better. Meaning if you are earning 3 for the spend and redeeming for 2-5 that’s 6-15% return. You can get higher value from international first class airfare but I’d rather go on more trip ymmv

If you read on most points game/chase points game groups the overwhelming majority would tell you never to book through chase/Expedia. Far too many examples of issue with hotel not recognizing the reservation at checkin but the worst is flight cancellation. It’s a well known issue in the points game

Old 11-04-2023, 12:33 PM

106,633 posts, read 108,773,903 times
never ever have we had an issue booking thru chase .

we are away right now enjoying a stay away with our points …it’s rare we have paid more thru chase with any hotel then going direct .

so i can only go by my experience

Old 11-05-2023, 05:17 AM

88,557 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
every EZPASS refill gets charged to the chase sapphire card …

they give us 3% back in points for every dollar spent .

all our accumulated points can be used in different ways .

one way we use them is to book our long weekends thru the chase/ expedia portal ..

all trips we use our point for get a 50% boost in value so 3% in points becomes 4.50% in points when paying for a trip with points.

in other words 100,000 points would be worth 150,000 in points for purposes of paying for hotels or flights or car rentals
Ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance