Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 11:15 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times

Advertisements

I have to say, the offers I am seeing from some credit card issuers like Chase are remarkably embarrassing. For example, this one offer for Five Guys burgers is promoting "5% Cash back!". That sounds like a very decent offer, but then when you look at the offer details you will see "$1.50 cash back maximum".

That means no cash back on over a $30 purchase. They have similar offers for Panera (10% / $2.00), Little Casars (10% / $3.00 max).

Do they think this inspires motivated use of the credit card? To me this just inspires "gotcha" "fine Print" commerce and sullies the reputation of the institution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 12:24 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Banks don't HAVE to offer cash back - use them or don't. There is not "gotcha" fine print involved.

Old 04-26-2023, 12:36 PM

106,720 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I have to say, the offers I am seeing from some credit card issuers like Chase are remarkably embarrassing. For example, this one offer for Five Guys burgers is promoting "5% Cash back!". That sounds like a very decent offer, but then when you look at the offer details you will see "$1.50 cash back maximum".

That means no cash back on over a $30 purchase. They have similar offers for Panera (10% / $2.00), Little Casars (10% / $3.00 max).

Do they think this inspires motivated use of the credit card? To me this just inspires "gotcha" "fine Print" commerce and sullies the reputation of the institution
chases cash back deals are not in these little offers .the cash back is the percentage back the cards give you over all

chase has some insanely lucrative points deals on the premium cards

i have gotten thousands of dollars back in points.

these deals you are looking at are just a little something if you buy from these vendors but these are not really the meat of their cash back programs……

the 5% special categories on the freedom get 5%….the freedom unlimited. is 1.50% .

however when those points are moved to my chase sapphire reserved they are multiplied by 50% .

so the 5% is 7-1/2 , the 1-1/2% is 2.25%

plus i got 100,000 points for taking the card which was multiplied by 50% ….they paid for my tsa pre check and we get 10% back on hotels we bookthrough their expedia portal.

it’s thousands of dollars we saved.

chase lost 200-300 million on the perks on the premium cards .

they hope to get you to use other chase services

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-26-2023 at 12:50 PM..

Old 04-26-2023, 12:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
We only use the Citi card from Costco, haven't used any of the rest since getting it. That one is 4% on the first $7,000/year then above that 1% on gas (would never use that much); 3% on restaurants and travel, 2% on everything from Costco, and 1% on anything else. I put $8,500 on it last week, even at 1% that's $85. We always pay it off before the next bill so we don't end up paying interest. It amazes me that people will be happy about 1-5% cash back but then pay 15.49%to 26.49% interest.

Old 04-27-2023, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We only use the Citi card from Costco, haven't used any of the rest since getting it. That one is 4% on the first $7,000/year then above that 1% on gas (would never use that much); 3% on restaurants and travel, 2% on everything from Costco, and 1% on anything else. I put $8,500 on it last week, even at 1% that's $85. We always pay it off before the next bill so we don't end up paying interest. It amazes me that people will be happy about 1-5% cash back but then pay 15.49%to 26.49% interest.
I don't understand either anyone who carries a balance and pays that APR. Personally I obviously pay the balance in full every month and use a flat 2% cashback card for all my purchases and then redeem it when there are gift card specials of 10% off like at Home Depot which adds up to real money.

But as for the actual topic of this thread, if these businesses think they are helping their brand with "$1.50" maximum cash back when you use the card, I would say they are sorely mistaken. This sort of fine print limitation just makes people angry. I mean seriously, just give the 5% for any purchase amount - for 99.9% of people that will mean an extra 75 cents in cashback but they would get the sale that like wasn't going to happen without the offer. Now you just have angry people

Old 04-27-2023, 06:08 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,891,633 times
Quote:
I don't understand either anyone who carries a balance and pays that APR. Personally I obviously pay the balance in full every month and use a flat 2% cashback card for all my purchases and then redeem it when there are gift card specials of 10% off like at Home Depot which adds up to real money.

But as for the actual topic of this thread, if these businesses think they are helping their brand with "$1.50" maximum cash back when you use the card, I would say they are sorely mistaken. This sort of fine print limitation just makes people angry. I mean seriously, just give the 5% for any purchase amount - for 99.9% of people that will mean an extra 75 cents in cashback but they would get the sale that like wasn't going to happen without the offer. Now you just have angry people
Its marketing. They pay a fee to be displayed as an extra cash back option, just think of it as an advertisement. I'm sure some people do make a visit because of it, or maybe pick one restaurant over another because of it.

Old 04-27-2023, 06:50 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,434,948 times
Quote:

What’s embarrassing about it? And yes, it motivates use of the credit card. I very often will use my card on these short term flash type uses.

If i have to eat or do x anyways, why not go to a place they remind you of? It’s a win win. They advertise, it’s a place I like, and I get a small bonus for going back for business with them.

I’m not even sure what your issue is. It’s just maximizing your bonus’ on the fringes.

Old 04-28-2023, 05:56 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,948,107 times
I have a cash back card and seem to always get a decent amount back every few months. I'm not spending over $30 usually anyways.

Old 04-28-2023, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
What’s embarrassing about it?
The dollar fifty part, scroll up and read the post

Old 04-28-2023, 06:37 AM

106,720 posts, read 108,913,061 times
meh , that is something that really is not part of the cash back program ..

it is just a buck or two extra if you buy at the stores that they have the link to since most of us use the chase card and use those stores anyway.

in fact different chase cards can have different stores linked and the deals are different.

you are still getting your regular cash back percentage regardless of these buck or two deals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance