Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:20 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,348 times

Advertisements

IT depends really.

Revatilaztion is good for Chester but also, they would be really easy to sell on the project. You think someplace like Upper Darby or Radnor is gonna wanna have a huge hulking stadium in their little hamlets? Despite those demographics being the main audience of the team?

Most people who are gonna go to these games I would wager are suburban fans from Delco and Montco. I'm not sure about the caucasian population of the city, but inner city black kids don't give two hoots about soccer.

It probably would have been a better idea to put it in Camden county, if only to provide easier access for Bucks peeps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 02:13 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
I do see the point about Camden being convenient from a transit perspective. However, Delco, Chesco and even some Montco fans would be inconvenienced. And with all due respect to Camden and NJ, they have enough sports and other attractions to draw at the riverfront. Chester deserves an opportunity for more revitalization... and for PA to reap the benefits. Dedicated Bucks fans can still take the Turnpike and Blue Route over and down to Chester.

That said, I wonder if there might be plans to run shuttles from the Chester train station? I figure that might alleviate some of the issues involving transit.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:33 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,981,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I do see the point about Camden being convenient from a transit perspective. However, Delco, Chesco and even some Montco fans would be inconvenienced. And with all due respect to Camden and NJ, they have enough sports and other attractions to draw at the riverfront. Chester deserves an opportunity for more revitalization... and for PA to reap the benefits. Dedicated Bucks fans can still take the Turnpike and Blue Route over and down to Chester.

That said, I wonder if there might be plans to run shuttles from the Chester train station? I figure that might alleviate some of the issues involving transit.
Highland Ave. R2 Stop will be quicker to the stadium. I think Septa should create a stop at Flower St to replace Lamokin Stop. There Fan's could walk right across a possible walkway over 291 (2nd st) to the stadium.

Last edited by Mr. Opinion; 02-22-2010 at 04:43 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
I'm not sure about the caucasian population of the city, but inner city black kids don't give two hoots about soccer.
You're right - native Philadelphians aren't that into soccer.

But having played on an adult league in the city, plenty of people in the city will be going to games. Most of my team already has tickets to the "home" opener at the Linc.

Soccer is HUGE in the latin, carribean and african immigrant communities.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep77 View Post
4-The Chester stadium is along SEPTA Regional Rail lines, so the stadium is still accessible.
This is actually my one gripe about the stadium location. The closest station is Highland Ave. in Chester . . . which is a mile from the stadium. There's no reason at all they couldn't have put it at the foot of Highland Ave.

I'm just hoping they extend the 37 bus for games. Having to transfer to a bus that comes once an hour is not fun at all.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:53 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
But having played on an adult league in the city, plenty of people in the city will be going to games.
How do you figure? Soccer is seen as a picnic diversion, not hard core sports by most Americans.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
How do you figure? Soccer is seen as a picnic diversion, not hard core sports by most Americans.
How do I figure that I'm going to the game with 20 people? Because we all have tickets?

Every time there has been a soccer exhibition match at the Linc the games have sold out. The NY Red Bulls who have been playing in Giants Stadium average 12,000 per game. DC, Chicago and Columbus average 15,000 and teams like Dallas and Kansas City average 10,000 per game. so my guess is that Philadelphia is going to be in that ballpark.

There are only 14 home games and the only thing soccer has to compete with are sold out Phillies games.

For me personally, transportation is the only issue. It's probably the difference between me going to half the home games and only 3 or 4.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:11 PM

388 posts, read 1,094,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
This is actually my one gripe about the stadium location. The closest station is Highland Ave. in Chester . . . which is a mile from the stadium. There's no reason at all they couldn't have put it at the foot of Highland Ave.

I'm just hoping they extend the 37 bus for games. Having to transfer to a bus that comes once an hour is not fun at all.

A mile away??? That is not accessible by mass transit. Rendell is an idiot.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:35 PM

388 posts, read 1,094,960 times
Quote:

They will have better attendence than the 76ers per game. For the season I bet they sell more tickets than Temple football, Temple Basketball or Villanova Basketball.

So far they have sold 9,000 season tickets.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:44 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Soccer Stadiums like this one and the one opening in my state next month (first Euro-style stadium in North America) could be used as a center piece for Urban Renewal and Soccer is becoming very popular here in the US. I think a few other cities in the NE are planning them, i like design of your stadium. But no Transit link to Septa? Could they build a monorail connecting the stadium with the station or a Spur line to the Stadium , like they did near me for the new Meadowlands Stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia