Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 10:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Here are a few more examples:

Maybe it's their football fans. https://www-cbssports-com.cdn.amppro...y-proved-it%2F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 11:07 AM

752 posts, read 460,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Are we basing an entire city's reputation on how our sports fans behave to our most hated rival?
Not "we" but yes, the National Media does exactly that.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:01 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Now this is sounding like what some Clevelanders accuse the media maintaining their reputation with remarks on its past .... But I'm not so sure Philly accepting opposing team colors on close or vehicles of locals? I'd fear that. I still would fear wearing opposing team colors as a visitor to Philly..... especially outside of higher-end and CC establishments.

I definately would not want to test that one out wearing Cubs or Bears stuff.

I remember the days just in the stadium parking lot .... your car was VERY unsafe if some opposing teams colors or insignia was on it. It was that bad. Better now. But I'm not sire people would trust going out after games with their team shirt..... into local bars.

I never witnessed it in the Midwest as bars after games would gain opposing team crowds .... as visitors were respected for just visiting ther city and game. Helps with reputations too. Especially after Cubs gams and the bars there.

But I agree if the Santa incident was long ago .... poor taste to bring that up. I remember comments in a thread here on the media posting some - bad boy behavior in CC after the BIG Eagles win last year. Claims from Philadelphians, other cities ad similar incidents. But no hype in the media of them. Probably worst it being right in CC. If just outside the venues. Might not have got the negative hype much.

I remember after the Cubs BIG 2016 win. They showed fans climbing lamppost and I think there was a tear-down? Also some bad behavior elsewhere. But I do not think any was downtown.

But if it happens .... why be surprised it maintains the stereotype. Sadly, they are hard for any city to kick. Not just Philly or Cleveland and yes .... others.

If visitors just concentrated visits in CC? Stereotypes might fade faster. But the usual is always .... bad news travels fastest. and tarnished visits are no help.

Just in the recent past in Cleveland forum. There were some threads on media and past examples rehashed. One was was closed after two segments. But most post ..... could have Philly replace Cleveland in the post I've read.
Especially this one I can't used in "quote" because it was closed.... below.

Cleveland, We Have a Confidence Problem

From thread just one post:

This is good. I used to follow sports a lot. It's all gotten stupid though. Sports fans are just dumb overall. Hate to say it.

I really don't think the city needs marketing at all though. Comes off as try-hard and desperate sometimes. Cleveland should just focus on being the best place to live in the country. If it became easy to start a business, if taxes were slightly lower, if you could live in the city and not worry about the education or safety of your children, people would live there. This would be a much better strategy than glossy brochures.

It doesn't even have to be that radical. Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati don't get a ton of press either. But those are just good places to live. Thus, they are doing- all things considered- quite well (especially compared to Cleveland as a whole).

To me, the best adventuring is .... visitors going home and giving GOOD feedback to others .... Good advertised just helps specifics to see.

Last edited by DavePa; 12-05-2018 at 03:25 PM..

Old 12-05-2018, 03:10 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
In the grand scheme of things, yes. If the choice is between adequate housing and no trees and abundant trees and inadequate housing, then I'll take the housing.

But a trip to DC should demonstrate that it's not an either-or situation. That city also has plenty of rowhouse blocks, many more of them shaded by trees than they are here. Mind you, that city also has larger blocks and actual back alleys, and the rowhouses by and large don't hug the sidewalk. That means more room for trees in front yards, and I'm sure that accounts for a good deal of the difference. But there's nothing inherent in our pattern of rowhouse construction that makes street trees inadvisable.
Sandy, lol. I have been to DC more times than I can count because I have a TON of extended family and some of them are in
DC (and Baltimore). I do see your points. But I'm not as likely to be as emotionally invested in the number trees a place has like you are.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^The Santa incident was 50 years ago. Yes, a long time ago. That was when I was in college (in Pittsburgh) and met Philly people for the first time. They were all the time talking about people with "old money" and "new money", old money being better (so gauche to have to work for your money, y'know). We didn't talk like that in Pittsburgh because most people there were "no money".

The link I posted also noted incidents in 1983, 1989 (twice), 1999 (twice), 2010, 2015, 2017 and 2018.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:25 PM

I don't think this is a competing sight but read post here.....
Sounds familiar maybe?

What are the downsides of living in Philadelphia, PA?

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-d...hiladelphia-PA

One post from link:

1.With all of the negatives below along with higher income taxes (as mentioned) … here is the biggest downside/upside I've experienced:

-- "Philly love"— Philly can just grow on you to the point where you don't feel uncomfortable everywhere else. It's like that relationship that was never that good, but you know each other's moves so well that you stay together longer than you should— you know it isn't good for you anymore but you just can't say goodbye and you begin to make excuses for not leaving or for coming back — Philly makes you always feel like you belong there! It's home!!

Old 12-05-2018, 11:14 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Sandy, lol. I have been to DC more times than I can count because I have a TON of extended family and some of them are in
DC (and Baltimore). I do see your points. But I'm not as likely to be as emotionally invested in the number trees a place has like you are.
Okay, and that may have to do with my having been born and raised in a city where trees abound.

But there are practical as well as aesthetic reasons to want more of them on our streets. I outlined several in that essay I linked upthread.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:04 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
I would rather be around "rude"/ honest people, who exist in Philly, than what I saw in the new film, Green Book. I highly recommend that movie, btw! Seeing the insane hypocrisy, jack-ass level of racism and two-faced BS depicted in 1960s(pre Civil Rights laws)in places like Birmingham,Al was chilling. Birmingham is a place I have been to several times so are people in South, who get props for politeness, etc., still seething with rage and unbridled racism underneath that veneer of " friendliness"? I will think about that every time I set foot in the south from now on. I will think about what liars and hypocrits they are.

So I would much rather be in place like Philly, who's people, generally, will not lie to my face. Or they won't pretend to like me or be friendly.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
I would rather be around "rude"/ honest people, who exist in Philly, than what I saw in the new film, Green Book. I highly recommend that movie, btw! Seeing the insane hypocrisy, jack-ass level of racism and two-faced BS depicted in 1960s(pre Civil Rights laws)in places like Birmingham,Al was chilling. Birmingham is a place I have been to several times so are people in South, who get props for politeness, etc., still seething with rage and unbridled racism underneath that veneer of " friendliness"? I will think about that every time I set foot in the south from now on. I will think about what liars and hypocrits they are.

So I would much rather be in place like Philly, who's people, generally, will not lie to my face. Or they won't pretend to like me or be friendly.
Not that we won't get your point. But you just admitted to -- rude but add honest people that exist in Philly. Just this aspect isn't about "racism" .... as the one you pointed out in a film.

The thing is also. Most workplaces you are expected to act a certain way when you work with the public. If even that is seen as absent in Philly to some ..... that alone can convey rudeness to outsiders.
We get so use to niceness (even if fake) in public situations like stores, eateries and businesses in general. That if it appears more absent? That is when you notice it.

I noticed it in a different towns convenience store the other day. You get use to a "hello" and "smile" and "have a good rest of your day" and such. Yes even if you sense a bit fake (though not with most). I got - no smile and person seemed to just be bothered .....
I thought..... she needs to change the attitude if on the register especially. I would choose the other convenience store if that was my regular response.

Also if people are "louder" and no issue to -- yell you bothered ther space and quick to anger and claim "you disrespected them in some way" and abrupt. Over looking the other way more often then not. Outsiders might NOT be as use to that.

I've read how Russians in ther hospitality industry. Had to be taught to smile to visitors more and such. As was less common there. Trying to change perceptions.
But outright being yelled at in parking situations, driving on streets, or any reason by a stranger. Surely will be seen as giving a visit a bad rap and tarnish it.

Even in the workplace. Definately people with -- good attitudes shown and good at communicating and friendly. They will more likely get promoted to positions they need to interact with others most in a supervisory roll.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:10 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Birmingham is a place I have been to several times so are people in South, who get props for politeness, etc., still seething with rage and unbridled racism underneath that veneer of " friendliness"? I will think about that every time I set foot in the south from now on. I will think about what liars and hypocrits they are.
Bless their hearts.

(I learned from someone who'd lived in the South for years a while back that when a Southern woman says, "Bless your heart," what she's really saying is "F**k you.")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia