Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 09:13 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
That area has always been way too congested versus areas below 8th street.
Yes, that intersection has been congested for as long as I can remember. The Goldman movie theater used to be where the Graham Bldg is.

The Avenir Apt bldg used to house the Wolf, Block, Schorr and Solis-Cohen law firm.

The Meridian Bank bldg was where Residences of the Ritz-Carlton is.

First Pennsylvania Bank hq was directly across Chestnut St, se corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post
I didn't realize how much crime strayed into CC. It's just such a shame as I said before as CC is such a vibrant, walkable downtown. I live right above Point Breeze in G Ho and used to wish I could live right in CC to be further from Point Breeze and closer to all the awesome amenities but it looks like now some of my favorite areas aren't immune. I do have to say I've felt very safe in Fitler Square and Society Hill. Rittenhouse is great but with everything that just occurred I'm changing my tune about that.
The non-reaction to this stuff just infuriates me. Paul Levy, ( and the Center City District), has done such a spectacular job turning CC around. It was way less desirable 20+ years ago.

My reaction to this latest mess, too, is similar to the gay bashing at 16th and Chancellor a couple of years ago: if you give up the scum wins. That is just my personal opinion.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Sadly, as all city dwellers know, no area of a big city is 100 % safe/100 % immune to crime. Sure, there are places that superficially provide a bigger sense of comfort and security, but as we have seen with Rittenhouse Square (and many other places), these things happen even in the "best" parts of town. I lived in Chicago and I have lived in NYC (in the south Bronx no less), and although I don't consider myself some sort of untouchable superstreet smart dude, I definitely know what areas to avoid (and If I don't know...I will ask), and I certainly know what times of the day I should not be walking down ANY street, drunk, listening to headphones, and oblivious to my surroundings. Also, even sober and fully aware of my surroundings, I know better than to hang out at night in certain places where lots of young, rowdy and most likely drunk kids congregate.
This does not mean that I will never be a victim of crime, but I think (hope) it helps.
If anything else you are seeing first hand that Philadelphians have a lot passion and we care deeply about this place one way or the other. cpomp lives in NYC but he grew up in the Philly area and he still posts on this board. There's another regular poster who lives in Charlotte, NC who lived in the Philly area too.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:32 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,753,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Don't forget that 15th and Market sits atop the main interchange station for the rapid transit network - and that there's a charter high school in the 1400 block of Chestnut.

Both contribute to the crowded feel, especially at certain times of day.

8th and Market used to be the center of the shopping district, with three large department stores sitting atop the subway junction there, but all three are gone now and the shopping that's replaced them is a mere ghost of what once was.

Old City is an adult playground and thus less susceptible to viral outbreaks of this type.

I'm like kyb01, only about a decade younger and male. And I live in a neighborhood that's (a) further from the center of the city and (b) rougher than any of the rest of you (even including her) live in. I am thankful I haven't yet been caught up in one of those mobs, but they don't keep me from venturing through those areas.

A friend of mine, however, closed on a rowhouse at 53d and Master two months ago. He tells me he hears sirens just about every night. I can't say that for my own few blocks. He is a little rattled about this.
15th and Market was congested twenty years ago before the Charter schools on 1400 block of Chestnut Street.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:44 AM

1,397 posts, read 917,426 times
Quote:
Sadly, as all city dwellers know, no area of a big city is 100 % safe/100 % immune to crime. Sure, there are places that superficially provide a bigger sense of comfort and security, but as we have seen with Rittenhouse Square (and many other places), these things happen even in the "best" parts of town. I lived in Chicago and I have lived in NYC (in the south Bronx no less), and although I don't consider myself some sort of untouchable superstreet smart dude, I definitely know what areas to avoid (and If I don't know...I will ask), and I certainly know what times of the day I should not be walking down ANY street, drunk, listening to headphones, and oblivious to my surroundings. Also, even sober and fully aware of my surroundings, I know better than to hang out at night in certain places where lots of young, rowdy and most likely drunk kids congregate.
This does not mean that I will never be a victim of crime, but I think (hope) it helps.
Yeah, the only time I was actually mugged in a big city was in Lincoln Park around Halsted and Diversey, which is about as safe of an urban area as there is anywhere.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
15th and Market was congested twenty years ago before the Charter schools on 1400 block of Chestnut Street.
It was congested 50 years ago. I know because I walked through it every single weekday. And suspect it's been congested for decades prior to that too.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:24 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,523,369 times
Quote:
Thanks again, everybody! This may come as a shocker, but I think I am going to take the room at the place on Bainbridge (Bella Vista). Safe[r], within walking distance of my internship site and all that Central City has to offer, and for a very decent price considering what a desirable location this is. This is until I get a job and a place of my own. Surprisingly, I have seen plenty of studios and one-bedrooms in Center City that are below 1k a month, which I find incredible. So yeah, I am certainly looking forward to the future. Thanks so much for all your advice!
I like it around there. I don't really have that much of a reason to go over there but I can tell you the Sabrina's, Hawthrone's Cafe, and the Morning Glory Diner are all solid brunch/lunch spots lol. There is a lot of there good places around too.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:29 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,220,702 times
I was appalled at the lack of news coverage on Saturday nights assaults and robberies.

The city had tens of thousands of people in town for the Marathon and this is also a big week with Thanksgiving Day Parade. Guess they tried to suppress the news of this chaos from getting out to the public and that is shameful by the city and the news outlets.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:04 PM

82 posts, read 68,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Yeah ..... How about blaming the parents?
that too. Schools can be fixed by the government (in theory), Parents thats a whole cultural change.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:32 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,878,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimshady123 View Post
that too. Schools can be fixed by the government (in theory), Parents thats a whole cultural change.
The only schools worth anything are ones that have students that have parents who care. The only parents that care are the ones who have enough money to get by with hopes and dreams of their children having a better life. Or at least a good life. Government will not fix this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia