Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 10:14 AM

512 posts, read 320,972 times

Advertisements

I know that there are plenty of online articles about the top ten walkable cities in the USA (as well as "the safest places in X or Y city"), but I love this board, and in my opinion, it is unbeatable when it comes to getting opinions and insights in "real time" and from real people who live in whatever city is discussed.

I am moving to Philly (for an internship and a possible job); back when I visited I absolutely fel in love with it, and I am curious about several things:

1- safety/perceived safety - what areas of Philly do you consider safer? What areas could be considered sketchier/to avoid? In Chicago, for example, most people basically say "the closer to the North and East, the safest, the closer to the South and West, the least safe"; is there anything like that in Phlly? I know that there are exceptions to everything, but would north, south, east, or west [of Center City, I guess] be considered relatively safer? If you were to say "this is the safest part of Philly," what would you say?

2-Walkability - I love Chicago because there is a very solid public transportation system and a lot of elements that make the city incredibly accessible by feet. How would you say that Philly is in that regard? I love walking (seriously, it is one of the things that gives me the most pleasure in life...just makes me feel free), and I have never owned a car because I love using my feet to go everywhere (also a great way to be healthy).

3-...kind of related to # 2: do the two rivers in Philly have walkways and running/walking paths alongside them (sorta like Chicago's Lakefront trails)? Are they great places to walk/jog/run? If these sounds like dumb questions, I apologize. Like I said before, it's just that this board is awesome and the people here have been amazingly helpful before with a myriad of topics.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 11:09 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
1) Philadelphia is a safe city, and has a lower crime rate than Chicago. Living in a major city, I am sure you have street smarts in understanding that listening to your headphones at 12am on the street by yourself is not smart, no matter where you are. Even the up and coming parts, to some outsiders seem sketchy, but living there you would find that everyone on your block is super friendly and there is little in regards to worrying about safety. Your budget is going to have a big influence in where I recommend. In terms of safer neighborhoods, most neighborhoods are safe; the only areas to really avoid are far points of West Philadelphia and North Philadelphia. If you are looking for the 'safest' parts stick around any Center City neighborhood, or any immediate neighborhood that surrounds Center City. Center City is considered to be the blocks bounded from Vine to South, river to river. Greater Center City is considered to be bound. Girard to Tasker, river to river.

2) Philadelphia is by far one of the most walkable cities in the USA, and more walkable than Chicago. Being a colonial city, the streets are all very small (even in Center City, most streets are very tiny), and therefore it is very easy to get around. Neighborhoods tend to offer many amenities, so much so, that many people find they never need to leave their neighborhood, and choose to walk everywhere. SEPTA is a solid transit system. It has quirks just like every cities, but its the 3rd most expansive in the USA. When looking for somewhere to live though, I definitely recommend looking closer to the Broad Street or Market Frankford Lines, as this gets you to Center City the quickest. Because the streets are so small, the buses in the city have to fight with traffic many times, and therefore not always are on time. I highly recommend using the website: walkscore.com when you are comparing apartments, it is a valuable tool to measure walkability when you are unsure of a specific apartment.

3) Yes to your third question. Philadelphia is home to the largest Urban Park in the country (Fairmount Park), and the park runs along the Schuylkill river. The stretch along the river, is along boathouse row and is called Kelly Drive. You will find many running, biking and rowing on the river. It is very pretty. The Delaware River does not have a direct path along its stretch. There are certainly some pleasant parks along the river, but you will find the Schuylkill more pleasant for recreation, and if that is an important amenity then I would focus on neighborhoods that are closer to that side of the city. Also the city is constructing its first phase of our version of the High Line. It will be 2x the length and 2x the width, so unlike the version in NYC, that is so crowded it serves little recreational purposes, this one will be huge! And I am sure will be the new place to run in the city!

4) If you love walking, then you are going to love Philadelphia! I walk EVERYWHERE!

5) Welcome to the City of Brotherly Love!

Old 10-20-2017, 12:32 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
1)

3) Yes to your third question. Philadelphia is home to the largest Urban Park in the country (Fairmount Park), and the park runs along the Schuylkill river. The stretch along the river, is along boathouse row and is called Kelly Drive. You will find many running, biking and rowing on the river. It is very pretty. The Delaware River does not have a direct path along its stretch. There are certainly some pleasant parks along the river, but you will find the Schuylkill more pleasant for recreation, and if that is an important amenity then I would focus on neighborhoods that are closer to that side of the city. Also the city is constructing its first phase of our version of the High Line. It will be 2x the length and 2x the width, so unlike the version in NYC, that is so crowded it serves little recreational purposes, this one will be huge! And I am sure will be the new place to run in the city!
OP, there is also MLK Drive which is on the western side of the Schuylkill River. It's closed to vehicular traffic daytime hours on weekends for rec. activities: walking, running, biking.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:19 PM

1,385 posts, read 909,333 times
1. I lived in Forest Park (next to Oak Park) and worked in the Loop for 6 years from 96-02 and in SEPA for the rest of my life (working in center city for the last 15). Philly and Chicago are very similar in that you have to know where not go, and it's perfectly safe (as long as you are appropriately aware of your surroundings). When I was in Chicago, almost all of the west side was not good and on the south side, there were also dangerous neighborhoods mixed in with very nice neighborhoods (i.e. Hyde Park). In Philly, the areas to avoid are North Philly (in particular from Temple northward + near Kensington Ave), West Philly west of University City and Clark Park, and much of SW Philly. Some areas of Point Breeze in South Philly aren't the greatest, either, but in general, South Philly is pretty safe in most places.

Much of what was happening in Chicago in terms of redevelopment & gentrification in the late 90s is currently happening in Philly. In Chicago at the time, redevelopment was pushing west & NW along the blue line in Wicker Park and Bucktown converting abandoned warehouses into luxury lofts. In Philly it's pushing north from Center City into Northern Liberties (between Spring Garden & Girard) and Fishtown (around Frankford Ave). It's exactly the same thing - redevelopment of old industrial areas into new luxury housing that is transforming whole neighborhoods, so more of the city is becoming safer by the day. Just remember, it is a city, and like any city, you have to take appropriate care wherever you are (I was mugged in Lincoln Park...).

2. It depends on where you live, but Philly is probably more walkable that Chicago just because the areas of interest are more compact. In other words, if you live in South Philly (say Pennsport or Queen Village), you can walk to Center City, South St, Penn's Landing, Columbus Blvd, Italian Market, and even to either the Museum area or the Sports Complex or Northern Liberties if you're really up for a hike. In comparison, in Chicago, walking from the loop to Bucktown or Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville would be a huge hike. Of course, Chicago's L trains are better than Philly's public transportation to make up for it, but Philly's system is very good, too. If you live in one of the outlying neighborhoods (like Manayunk or Mt Airy), the center city and South Philly areas are not as walkable, but that's a choice you have to make (those neighborhoods are nice to live in, too).

3. Yes, there are lots of parks to run/walk/bike in. Also, there are bike lanes all around the city, and many people do just bike around the city.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
1. I lived in Forest Park (next to Oak Park) and worked in the Loop for 6 years from 96-02 and in SEPA for the rest of my life (working in center city for the last 15). Philly and Chicago are very similar in that you have to know where not go, and it's perfectly safe (as long as you are appropriately aware of your surroundings). When I was in Chicago, almost all of the west side was not good and on the south side, there were also dangerous neighborhoods mixed in with very nice neighborhoods (i.e. Hyde Park). In Philly, the areas to avoid are North Philly (in particular from Temple northward + near Kensington Ave), West Philly west of University City and Clark Park, and much of SW Philly. Some areas of Point Breeze in South Philly aren't the greatest, either, but in general, South Philly is pretty safe in most places.

Much of what was happening in Chicago in terms of redevelopment & gentrification in the late 90s is currently happening in Philly. In Chicago at the time, redevelopment was pushing west & NW along the blue line in Wicker Park and Bucktown converting abandoned warehouses into luxury lofts. In Philly it's pushing north from Center City into Northern Liberties (between Spring Garden & Girard) and Fishtown (around Frankford Ave). It's exactly the same thing - redevelopment of old industrial areas into new luxury housing that is transforming whole neighborhoods, so more of the city is becoming safer by the day. Just remember, it is a city, and like any city, you have to take appropriate care wherever you are (I was mugged in Lincoln Park...).

2. It depends on where you live, but Philly is probably more walkable that Chicago just because the areas of interest are more compact. In other words, if you live in South Philly (say Pennsport or Queen Village), you can walk to Center City, South St, Penn's Landing, Columbus Blvd, Italian Market, and even to either the Museum area or the Sports Complex or Northern Liberties if you're really up for a hike. In comparison, in Chicago, walking from the loop to Bucktown or Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville would be a huge hike. Of course, Chicago's L trains are better than Philly's public transportation to make up for it, but Philly's system is very good, too. If you live in one of the outlying neighborhoods (like Manayunk or Mt Airy), the center city and South Philly areas are not as walkable, but that's a choice you have to make (those neighborhoods are nice to live in, too).

3. Yes, there are lots of parks to run/walk/bike in. Also, there are bike lanes all around the city, and many people do just bike around the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
OP, there is also MLK Drive which is on the western side of the Schuylkill River. It's closed to vehicular traffic daytime hours on weekends for rec. activities: walking, running, biking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
1) Philadelphia is a safe city, and has a lower crime rate than Chicago. Living in a major city, I am sure you have street smarts in understanding that listening to your headphones at 12am on the street by yourself is not smart, no matter where you are. Even the up and coming parts, to some outsiders seem sketchy, but living there you would find that everyone on your block is super friendly and there is little in regards to worrying about safety. Your budget is going to have a big influence in where I recommend. In terms of safer neighborhoods, most neighborhoods are safe; the only areas to really avoid are far points of West Philadelphia and North Philadelphia. If you are looking for the 'safest' parts stick around any Center City neighborhood, or any immediate neighborhood that surrounds Center City. Center City is considered to be the blocks bounded from Vine to South, river to river. Greater Center City is considered to be bound. Girard to Tasker, river to river.

2) Philadelphia is by far one of the most walkable cities in the USA, and more walkable than Chicago. Being a colonial city, the streets are all very small (even in Center City, most streets are very tiny), and therefore it is very easy to get around. Neighborhoods tend to offer many amenities, so much so, that many people find they never need to leave their neighborhood, and choose to walk everywhere. SEPTA is a solid transit system. It has quirks just like every cities, but its the 3rd most expansive in the USA. When looking for somewhere to live though, I definitely recommend looking closer to the Broad Street or Market Frankford Lines, as this gets you to Center City the quickest. Because the streets are so small, the buses in the city have to fight with traffic many times, and therefore not always are on time. I highly recommend using the website: walkscore.com when you are comparing apartments, it is a valuable tool to measure walkability when you are unsure of a specific apartment.

4) If you love walking, then you are going to love Philadelphia! I walk EVERYWHERE!

5) Welcome to the City of Brotherly Love!

....and this^^^ is exactly why I LOVE the City-Data Boards. You guys are amazing; seriously, I wish I could just hug you now. So much awesome information, so much to take in and consider, and so many solid insights. I have no words to thank all three of you.

Question: There is a potential lead to get a roomie close to Walnut Street & 43rd Street (apparently not too far from the Upenn/Drexel campus.) This, according to Google Maps, is 22 minutes away (by bus) from the center of Center City. What neighborhood would Walnut Street & 43rd Street be a part of? Cobbs Creek? Dunlap? University City? The map is not too clear in that regard. Here's the map:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Waln...39.9509036!3e3

Could anyone help me with this? Would this be a relatively safe place to live? Oh, and by the way, rowhomecity, I totally agree with what you said: as a city dweller, I definitely know that there are some things one will just not do no matter where one lives (like being out at midnight walking around listening to headphones) I definitely know that common sense is key to living in any city, no matter how "safe" your part of the city is.

Thanks again, y'all, for all the help!

Old 10-20-2017, 11:50 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Walnut and 43rd Street is considered to be a part of University City.
I have a friend who lives on 45th and Walnut. I often visit him at night.
It is considered to be safe even though it could look a bit sketchy.
Welcome to Philly!

You will love walking here!
I come from Miami with 2 of my cars. Sold both within 1.5 years.
And my (bad) cholesterol level has been low ever since!

Old 10-21-2017, 09:41 AM

1,385 posts, read 909,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
....and this^^^ is exactly why I LOVE the City-Data Boards. You guys are amazing; seriously, I wish I could just hug you now. So much awesome information, so much to take in and consider, and so many solid insights. I have no words to thank all three of you.

Question: There is a potential lead to get a roomie close to Walnut Street & 43rd Street (apparently not too far from the Upenn/Drexel campus.) This, according to Google Maps, is 22 minutes away (by bus) from the center of Center City. What neighborhood would Walnut Street & 43rd Street be a part of? Cobbs Creek? Dunlap? University City? The map is not too clear in that regard. Here's the map:

Could anyone help me with this? Would this be a relatively safe place to live? Oh, and by the way, rowhomecity, I totally agree with what you said: as a city dweller, I definitely know that there are some things one will just not do no matter where one lives (like being out at midnight walking around listening to headphones) I definitely know that common sense is key to living in any city, no matter how "safe" your part of the city is.

Thanks again, y'all, for all the help!
The 22 min trip on your map is the Market El train, not a bus. This is the equivalent of the Chicago red line where it's an el that goes underground as a subway in center city.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Walnut and 43rd Street is considered to be a part of University City.
I have a friend who lives on 45th and Walnut. I often visit him at night.
It is considered to be safe even though it could look a bit sketchy.
Welcome to Philly!

You will love walking here!
I come from Miami with 2 of my cars. Sold both within 1.5 years.
And my (bad) cholesterol level has been low ever since!
Awesome! Thanks for the welcome and the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
The 22 min trip on your map is the Market El train, not a bus. This is the equivalent of the Chicago red line where it's an el that goes underground as a subway in center city.
Thanks a lot!
Speaking of Chicago's Red Line...what are Philadelphia's "main" train lines and bus routes? I am still trying to figure out the public transport maps as well as the maps of the city itself.
Is there any train line or bus route that is considered the most efficient or practical or famous of whatnot?
Thanks!

Old 10-22-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:

43rd and Walnut is University City. Specifically I believe it's Walnut Hill. You should be fine there. Walnut St is one way, westbound, so to travel eastbound into Center City, the closet transit is to go one block north, to 43rd and Chestnut, and take the Rt 21 bus.

For a newbie to Philly, I would not recommend Cobbs Creek or Dunlop. For me those places are okay(I have family living in Cobbs Creek...I go there all the time). But, for you...probably not the best choices. Lots of those maps miss-label specific neighborhoods.

I'm sure this probably happens in Chicago too. In Philly many major areas are further subdivided into smaller neighborhoods...sometimes they consist of only 3-4 blocks.

We do have some 24 hrs transit in the city but it's limited to certain days of the week.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for the welcome and the info!

Thanks a lot!
Speaking of Chicago's Red Line...what are Philadelphia's "main" train lines and bus routes? I am still trying to figure out the public transport maps as well as the maps of the city itself.
Is there any train line or bus route that is considered the most efficient or practical or famous of whatnot?
Thanks!
There are transit maps(in stations it's a consolidated map) that just display rail transit. Concentrate on those first, imo.
The most used rail line is the Market-Frankford Line (EL) or infrequently called the blue line.

Bus routes have individual route maps/schedules. Look at the septa.org site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia