Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 10:55 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,523,721 times

Advertisements

A city of Philadelphia's population and density should have had twice as many rapid transit lines since the 1920s. I firmly believe this had a major effect on the growth potential of the city.

Old 11-21-2019, 01:09 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Wanna know a secret?

DC locals don't even spend 1/10th of their time on the National Mall. We're in the actual "city" walking the neighborhoods, eating in Chinatown, shopping etc like Philadelphians do on Chestnut or Market or South St etc.

Also by comparison the Champ de Mars is equally as "boring" in the area surrounding the Effiel Tower. I certainly find the National Mall and it's surroundings in Washington light years more interesting than that section of Paris. Doesn't make either city boring overall.
I know. Been there too many times to count, so it’s no secret to me. The thing is, that Philly’s historical and tourist areas are integrated into the fabric of the neighborhoods where the locals also run around: Old City, Society Hill, Rittenhouse Square, Reading Market, Avenue of the Arts, South Street, Chinatown, Italian Market, etc. This affords locals and visitors alike a more lively and intimate streetscape to share and enjoy. DC tourists, OTOH, tend to be confine themselves to the area around the mall which is a less vibrant and interesting urban experience, for my money.

Old 11-21-2019, 04:53 AM

14,180 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
A city of Philadelphia's population and density should have had twice as many rapid transit lines since the 1920s. I firmly believe this had a major effect on the growth potential of the city.
Maybe, but the city had two million residents in 1950. And that was with the system pretty much as it is now (the only additions were Fern Rock station next to the Broad Street Line shop and yard in 1956 and the extension from Snyder to Pattison avenues in 1971). Not to mention that much of the Northeast was still undeveloped in that year.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:49 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Maybe, but the city had two million residents in 1950. And that was with the system pretty much as it is now (the only additions were Fern Rock station next to the Broad Street Line shop and yard in 1956 and the extension from Snyder to Pattison avenues in 1971). Not to mention that much of the Northeast was still undeveloped in that year.
Also there was a stop on the El that was demolished in order to make way for I-95 along Penn's Landing. Maybe two. I wasn't even in kindergarten when they started that project, but I recall the torn up streets as we lived in the area at the time and I asked my mother hundreds of questions about The El, and trains and trolleys. lol

Old 11-21-2019, 12:46 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
The museums are great, but the whole area grows kinda sterile after a while. I appreciate the grandeur and perspective of the mall, monuments and museums, but actually walking the area is pretty boring. It’s filled with government offices with no retail or street life to speak of. It makes it kind of a drudge to walk block after block with nothing but cold, marble and often block-long windowless buildings to pass by. It starts to get boring after a few days. I prefer the intimacy of Philly’s pedestrian scene.
Agreed. The PMA is the focal of most every run, walk or people just coming to see the Rocky statue and running/walking up the steps. So the area does have a fair amount of people a lot of the time. By contrast the National Gallery, even when there are major exhibits, does not have the same kind of "busy" feel to it.

The new northern entrance to the PMA is very nice, btw.

Old 11-21-2019, 01:31 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Wanna know a secret?

DC locals don't even spend 1/10th of their time on the National Mall. We're in the actual "city" walking the neighborhoods, eating in Chinatown, shopping etc like Philadelphians do on Chestnut or Market or South St etc.

Also by comparison the Champ de Mars is equally as "boring" in the area surrounding the Effiel Tower. I certainly find the National Mall and it's surroundings in Washington light years more interesting than that section of Paris. Doesn't make either city boring overall.
D.C does not have an authentic chinatown. At all. Yes there is a neighborhood called chinatown. But its authenticity has been completely washed away. This is another example of while I can admire D.C. Philadelphia wins in Authentic big city charm and character.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:10 PM

14,180 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
Also there was a stop on the El that was demolished in order to make way for I-95 along Penn's Landing. Maybe two. I wasn't even in kindergarten when they started that project, but I recall the torn up streets as we lived in the area at the time and I asked my mother hundreds of questions about The El, and trains and trolleys. lol
The station that was demolished was Fairmount. (Its headhouse, however, still stands.) Spring Garden, in the median of I-95, replaced it. No real net change.

Old 11-21-2019, 04:05 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,554,265 times
In my honest opinion, grand central station is much more impressive than King's Cross Station and Gare du Nord.

The last time I was at Gare du Nord, the place was reeking of urine. I haven't been to King's Cross Station in more than a decade either but when I lived in London, the place was a homeless encampment and full of druggies outside. I hope they've fixed all of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Every time I go to DC, this is what I think: Why doesn't it impress me the way Paris and London do? Why doesn't Union Station look as amazing as Gare du Nord in Paris or King's Cross in London for instance? I am perfectly aware of how old Paris and London are. But DC has never been bombed or had a physical catastrophe like London was via war.

The powerful country in history should have a way more impressive and distinctive capital.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:13 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
D.C does not have an authentic chinatown. At all. Yes there is a neighborhood called chinatown. But its authenticity has been completely washed away. This is another example of while I can admire D.C. Philadelphia wins in Authentic big city charm and character.
That's not important or relevant to this thread really. DC's Chinatown is a tourist draw, but has a lot to do for locals. I could have mentioned a plethora of neighborhoods with character, Logan Circle, DuPont Circle, Shaw (Little Ethiopia), U street, Adams Morgan, Union Market, Eckington, H Street NE, Georgetown, Capitol Hill, 8th St SE etc . DC is not a city with 0% charm or character. I just mentioned Chinatown off the top of my head to say it's not the National Mall and people hang out there. You sound like you've never ventured out into the District neighborhoods much.

Let the bashing continue guys, I'm out! ✌

Old 11-21-2019, 06:14 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Chicago has rapid transit lines all over its city and it still lost a million people from 1950 to 2010. So your argument doesn't hold much weight.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 11-21-2019 at 07:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia