Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 11:05 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,764 times

Advertisements

Something I've noticed with the younger generations. Lack of commitment, self-absorbed, self-entitled, selfish and don't seem to believe in hard work but want high pay. I saw a report on the news that said that today's generation is very spoiled by their parents, with some parents even going on the interviews with their children. If ever there was anything so ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 11:07 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
The product of Helicopter Parenting

Old 06-27-2013, 11:10 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times
This is mostly made up.

But to the very limited extent that it isn't, it may have something to do with coming of age during both the "global war on terror" and the financial crisis, which have revealed our political and economic systems to be utter shams. We are therefore disinclined to play by rules that we know to be purely power-serving and without any moral legitimacy.

Most of us, of course, play by those rules anyway because we have to eat. Indeed, the laziest and most "entitled" people I encounter are much older.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:11 AM

I really question what parents are teaching their kids these days in terms of morals, values and so on. I grew up being taught that hard work was important no matter what type of job you got. These days the kids are so worried about what someone will think of them that they're too good to do certain types of jobs unless it pays LOTS of money.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:11 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
Going on interviews with their grown child? Really? Never heard of that before.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Going on interviews with their grown child? Really? Never heard of that before.
I have. In some cases the parent even tries to confront the employer as to why their "little boy" or "girl" wasn't hired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
This is mostly made up.

But to the very limited extent that it isn't, it may have something to do with coming of age during both the "global war on terror" and the financial crisis, which have revealed our political and economic systems to be utter shams. We are therefore disinclined to play by rules that we know to be purely power-serving and without any moral legitimacy.

Most of us, of course, play by those rules anyway because we have to eat. Indeed, the laziest and most "entitled" people I encounter are much older.
And how exactly are the older ones more "entitled" and lazy?

Old 06-27-2013, 11:18 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Something I've noticed with the younger generations. Lack of commitment, self-absorbed, self-entitled, selfish and don't seem to believe in hard work but want high pay. I saw a report on the news that said that today's generation is very spoiled by their parents, with some parents even going on the interviews with their children. If ever there was anything so ridiculous.
I like the flexibility of not having to commit, what's wrong with that?
Selfish is relative - everyone is selfish.
What's wrong with not liking hard work? What's wrong with not wanting high pay?

Old 06-27-2013, 11:19 AM

865 posts, read 2,162,059 times
Parents are doing the following:
- Everything for their children
- Not making the children take responsibility
- Not teaching children the value of a dollar
- Not teaching their children that one has to work for what they have.

Then, they tell their kid if they go to college, they will make $100,000,000 a year working a plush job that requires them to do nothing all day.

I didn't really think I would appreciate it growing up, but I'm actually thankful that I grew up poor. Instead of expecting everything to be given to me, I know that I need to work for what I have. I know if I make a mistake, I'll have to own up to it and make it right. I know the value of a dollar.

I'm smack dab in the middle of the entitlement generation - it irritates me what people my age expect to get away with.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I grew up being taught that hard work was important no matter what type of job you got. These days the kids are so worried about what someone will think of them that they're too good to do certain types of jobs unless it pays LOTS of money.

I think a wiser goal would be to get a lot of money by NOT working hard.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:20 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Older generations always gripe about the younger and how much better they were when they were growing up.

There will always be examples of the extreme and that's what makes the news.

The young people I know are not this way. Most have worked while teens. They are good kids who have value and morals. Bashing the younger generation gets tiresome.

Are there entitled kids? Yes. And there always have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy