Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 08:11 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,458 times

Advertisements

With technology getting more and more advanced I don't see a reason to work more than 20 to 30 hours a week. And heck, anything beyond 20 should constitute overtime. Why work 5 days a week? We could easily work 3 and all be fine. If some people want a second job they can have it.

With more free time people could actually spend it with their families. We could read more, get educated. We could be more physically fit. There'd be no excuse to not go to the gym. And with everyone working 3 day work weeks (staggered of course) there would be no such thing as "rush hour".

With more free time more people would decide to start a business and work for themselves rather than someone else. This, I'm coming to learn more and more, is the real key to success. Why let someone else benefit from my labor? And with less hours in a typical work week demand for workers would be higher. We'd get paid more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 09:07 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
don't make work your whole life
live someplace cheap
identify in your life the things that are fun for you, that give you joy
have hobbies. they are for you and you alone, for fun and relaxation, not to impress others or be the best
do the things that are fun. once you identify them
in your free time don't think about work
work the bare minimum to live a simple lifestyle, and see it is necessary, but not the "main" thing in life
the main thing in life is having joy
be willing to be happy with fun, simple, inexpensive things
pay attention to the company you keep: don't hang out with people who make you feel worse instead of better
if your values are to work less and live a simple life, instead of work a lot to make a lot of money, then be with people who respect that and honor your values

it is OK to not be ambitious or driven in a career or work. don't let people tell you this is wrong. ask yourself "where are the places in my life where I feel most alive"
and like someone said earlier if you are depressed and in a dark place or really can't see a reason to go on then please seek help, it is important to take care of yourself in this way. best wishes

Old 10-15-2015, 10:33 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
I'm having the opposite problem. What's the point of life when you're not at all financially independent?
Work should give you a sense of purpose...whether you're working for someone or working for yourself. If you are able to land a job, that's one step closer to freedom. The only requirements are just be smart with your money and have sensible expectations. When it comes time that you can't take your job anymore, you can move forward towards that by saving money to relocate get certification etc. for a job that would be comfortable for you.
Many of those people that don't have enough time most likely lack ambition. If you know what you want take steps to go after it and don't delay because then you're going to sit at home regretting that you did nothing with your life.
The hours don't matter that much at first. What matters is getting into a job that you would be okay doing. Sometimes you'd have to go through many jobs to get to one that is manageable in all aspects. Do not be consumed by greed. Wealthy people aren't always happy either. I'd rather be in a job that I'm comfortable doing making decent money than a job I don't feel right at making lots of money. That's not fair to me or the employer.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:12 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing20 View Post
Why do we act like life is wonderful when all we really do is work all the time? I'm getting ready to graduate college and Ive been struggling to think of a reason I shouldn't just kill myself. There's nothing to look forward to in life. We spend all of our time at work so we can afford to feed and shelter ourselves so that we're healthy enough to go back to work the next day. Then we get excited because we get a week off once a year.
Meanwhile, our children are being raised by someone else who is getting to see all their milestones. We spend most of our time with coworkers instead of our friends and spouses. Things that are supposed to make life worthwhile like traveling can barely be done because to most people who are making enough money to afford it don't have enough time off. Life is pretty much work, stress, and disappointment but we keep trying to find ways to prolong it. I don't get it

Hi young man, I know facing the real word without motivation can be a drag if you let, how about this, and do me a favor and read this and reply back, OK? Have you ever consider Selfless-Service ? a career of honor? Bravery? Duty? Respect? Loyalty? Integrity? and personal Courage? for instance a career in..

Fire Fighter-we have many college grads working as full time professional Fire Fighters, Dangerous? yes and very Rewarding..

Police Officer-many college grads found their career path taking this road,.

EMT's a persons life in your hands is a GREAT responsibility only the best need apply..

US Army Infantry, 11 bang bang, option 4 Airborne,
US Army Ranger Assessment and Selection Program (RASP) US Army Ranger 75th Regiment
US Army (SFAS) Special Force Assessment, two year Q-course as a Green Beret
US Army (USASOC) US Army Special Operation Command, (JSOC) Joint Special Operations Command and be a member of The (SFOD-D) -AKA- The Jedi's, The Hardee Boys, -AKA- Delta

Can you understand what I'm trying to make you understand? think outside the box my man, don't limit your thinking, open your mind and reach higher, strive to be better, one day, you'll make a save and learn first hand, what you were born to do, only you can stand tall, only you can stand near the edge and jump, only you can make life well worth living. Just saying

There is so many exciting career paths out there that are more then just a job or work, it's called Leadership material.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:07 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
When my children were young, my DH worked so I could stay home with them. Once the kiddos started school, I got a series of various jobs. Eventually, I found this one.

Now that they are grown, I have a career. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my job. I can't wait to go to work each day. My career is fulfilling to me, has a purpose, and is fun.

My co-workers have become friends as well.

Life is pretty good now.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:32 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
Quote:
Why do we act like life is wonderful when all we really do is work all the time? I'm getting ready to graduate college and Ive been struggling to think of a reason I shouldn't just kill myself. There's nothing to look forward to in life. We spend all of our time at work so we can afford to feed and shelter ourselves so that we're healthy enough to go back to work the next day. Then we get excited because we get a week off once a year.
Meanwhile, our children are being raised by someone else who is getting to see all their milestones. We spend most of our time with coworkers instead of our friends and spouses. Things that are supposed to make life worthwhile like traveling can barely be done because to most people who are making enough money to afford it don't have enough time off. Life is pretty much work, stress, and disappointment but we keep trying to find ways to prolong it. I don't get it
Are you kidding? There are a billion different ways you could live your life. It can be great fun. Don't get hung up on the negatives. Yes, people have jobs. But what if you can find a job that's fun? Or what if you can find a job that doesn't take 40 hours a week? I've done both. Maybe I was lucky. I don't know. But I do know I've had a great time, and no one can take that from me.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:23 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times
They are seriously floating a 6 hour day in some countries.

8 hours a day is a LOT.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:34 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Choices. We all have choices.
As I see it, even YOU have choices.
1. End it all now, and save everybody within your sphere of influence a lot of future grief.
2. Marry rich, so you can live the life of luxury and leisure you desire.
3. Go to the Amazon jungle, get adopted by a tribe in there, and live a subsistence life, hunting and gathering.
4. Suck it up, get a job, and join the rat race. Neither your town, county, state, country, hemisphere, Earth, or the Universe owes you anything. In fact, none of them even care about you. Or me. Or anybody.
It has been said that if you want to see how much you will truly be missed, stick your fist in a bucket of heavy oil. Pull it out rapidly. The hole that is left is the definitive measure of your importance in the Universe!

I am 73 years old, and retired. I spent my entire life working 40 hours per week or more. I had weekends off to take my kids fishing, camping, and hunting. In most jobs I had 2 or more weeks vacation. I visited Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park, Arches National park. the Civil War battlefields around Chattanooga, Tenn., and many other National and State parks. I spent a little over 6 years active duty military, and about 24 years in the reserves. I could not afford to go to college. We raised 5 kids. The youngest are now over 30.
If you are looking for sympathy, you won't get it from me. In fact, in spite of the current thinking that we should do everything in our power to encourage people like you, I think Choice #1 is quite possibly your best bet if you truly don't want to work and contribute to society.
BUT, have some consideration for others. Do not leave a mess for somebody to clean up! Go as far back in the woods as you can walk, then sit down under a tree and do what you have to do. Leave a note with somebody in town so that the authorities won't waste a lot of time looking for your remains.
do it right the first time!
Good luck.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:13 PM

112 posts, read 130,745 times
"don't make work your whole life
live someplace cheap
identify in your life the things that are fun for you, that give you joy
have hobbies. they are for you and you alone, for fun and relaxation, not to impress others or be the best
do the things that are fun. once you identify them
in your free time don't think about work
work the bare minimum to live a simple lifestyle, and see it is necessary, but not the "main" thing in life
the main thing in life is having joy
be willing to be happy with fun, simple, inexpensive things
pay attention to the company you keep: don't hang out with people who make you feel worse instead of better
if your values are to work less and live a simple life, instead of work a lot to make a lot of money, then be with people who respect that and honor your values"

This sounds right.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:15 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Choices. We all have choices.
As I see it, even YOU have choices.
1. End it all now, and save everybody within your sphere of influence a lot of future grief.
2. Marry rich, so you can live the life of luxury and leisure you desire.
3. Go to the Amazon jungle, get adopted by a tribe in there, and live a subsistence life, hunting and gathering.
4. Suck it up, get a job, and join the rat race. Neither your town, county, state, country, hemisphere, Earth, or the Universe owes you anything. In fact, none of them even care about you. Or me. Or anybody.
It has been said that if you want to see how much you will truly be missed, stick your fist in a bucket of heavy oil. Pull it out rapidly. The hole that is left is the definitive measure of your importance in the Universe!

I am 73 years old, and retired. I spent my entire life working 40 hours per week or more. I had weekends off to take my kids fishing, camping, and hunting. In most jobs I had 2 or more weeks vacation. I visited Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park, Arches National park. the Civil War battlefields around Chattanooga, Tenn., and many other National and State parks. I spent a little over 6 years active duty military, and about 24 years in the reserves. I could not afford to go to college. We raised 5 kids. The youngest are now over 30.
If you are looking for sympathy, you won't get it from me. In fact, in spite of the current thinking that we should do everything in our power to encourage people like you, I think Choice #1 is quite possibly your best bet if you truly don't want to work and contribute to society.
BUT, have some consideration for others. Do not leave a mess for somebody to clean up! Go as far back in the woods as you can walk, then sit down under a tree and do what you have to do. Leave a note with somebody in town so that the authorities won't waste a lot of time looking for your remains.
do it right the first time!
Good luck.
And we could do without comments like yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy