Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 02:12 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Just checked weather.com because I was bored. It says that here where I live, it's 100 degrees, but it feels like 101 because the humidity is 27% and the dew point is 61. Could this be a sign?
Normally yes, but the forecast is pointing the other way - to a drying trend. One sure sign is when those buzzing bugs buzz the monsoon is here. I haven't heard them yet. You'll know what I am talking about when you hear them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 06:00 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Normally yes, but the forecast is pointing the other way - to a drying trend. One sure sign is when those buzzing bugs buzz the monsoon is here. I haven't heard them yet. You'll know what I am talking about when you hear them.
Do you mean the Cicadas? Those things drive me nuts. I forget about them till they start up again!

Cottonwood weather right now is: 99 degrees but feels much cooler. Probably because it's so cloudy. Slight breeze. Humidity 12% and Dew Point 38. Had the cooler on from noon till 4:00 but don't need it now.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Do you mean the Cicadas? Those things drive me nuts. I forget about them till they start up again!

Cottonwood weather right now is: 99 degrees but feels much cooler. Probably because it's so cloudy. Slight breeze. Humidity 12% and Dew Point 38. Had the cooler on from noon till 4:00 but don't need it now.
Yeah, the big ugly cicadas that sit on the palo verdes and make all that racket. Their awakening is a rite of summer here as you know. Funny, I too tend to forget about them until I hear them each year.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:10 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Quote:
Yeah, the big ugly cicadas that sit on the palo verdes and make all that racket. Their awakening is a rite of summer here as you know. Funny, I too tend to forget about them until I hear them each year.
We don't hear them much right in my neigborhood but down by the river they are horrible. The river is only a few blocks away from me though. lol

Old 07-02-2010, 12:41 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,878 times
Well, I'm up in arms because I'm still stuck in the old ways. he he
This weather sure is nice though, does feel a little monsoony, I'm thinking we will have a really light one this year. A poopdefizzle. lol
God, the cicadas, I always forget, my cat brings them in every year for excitement!

Old 07-02-2010, 08:18 AM

Beautiful weekend weather predicted with temps in the burbs at night near 70 and dry high of only low 100s. Best 4th weather in a long time and it might even be decently "cool" enough to take in a fireworks display in comfort. If we can't have a thunderstorm, then I'm all for dry and cooler.

Monsoon-like weather will return at the end of next week. Maybe even the first official rain will be in the bucket by next Sunday.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:07 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,280,435 times
Quote:
Funny you should mention that. I was getting gas yesterday morning, and I heard the extremely loud buzzing in the trees at the gas station. On my way home, I heard the buzzing every time I passed a tree in the median. Every tree I would pass "Bzzzz.......Bzzzz", so maybe it's close. I do know that we had a big dust storm and the smell of rain in Chandler a few nights ago, and last night when I went to get my son from daycare at 5PM, it was black out and breezy, but the storms never came. If you watch the weather though, the dew point has been much higher in Chandler, and daytime highs much lower the last couple weeks than it has been in Goodyear, so maybe we'll get it at different times.

I know it's not the safest thing in the world, but there's nothing like floating in your pool at about 8-9 PM in monsoon season and seeing the storms rolling in.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Funny you should mention that. I was getting gas yesterday morning, and I heard the extremely loud buzzing in the trees at the gas station. On my way home, I heard the buzzing every time I passed a tree in the median. Every tree I would pass "Bzzzz.......Bzzzz", so maybe it's close. I do know that we had a big dust storm and the smell of rain in Chandler a few nights ago, and last night when I went to get my son from daycare at 5PM, it was black out and breezy, but the storms never came. If you watch the weather though, the dew point has been much higher in Chandler, and daytime highs much lower the last couple weeks than it has been in Goodyear, so maybe we'll get it at different times.

I know it's not the safest thing in the world, but there's nothing like floating in your pool at about 8-9 PM in monsoon season and seeing the storms rolling in.
It's better out your way. As you go S and W the monsoon gets weaker and weaker. When I lived in Sierra Vista it would rain almost every day. In Tucson, a couple times a week. In Ahwahtukee, maybe half that often. Out here, it is easier to get a bill through the Senate than to get a monsoon storm (other than dust). The lack of a decent monsoon is a part of living in Estrella that I don't like.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:26 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Funny you should mention that. I was getting gas yesterday morning, and I heard the extremely loud buzzing in the trees at the gas station. On my way home, I heard the buzzing every time I passed a tree in the median. Every tree I would pass "Bzzzz.......Bzzzz", so maybe it's close.
I was up in Scottsdale yesterday, and I heard the Bzzzing in the trees. I remember that sound from when I was in Sedona back in 2008. I'll never forget that sound...

Old 07-02-2010, 10:22 AM

11,080 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Quote:
Beautiful weekend weather predicted with temps in the burbs at night near 70 and dry high of only low 100s. Best 4th weather in a long time and it might even be decently "cool" enough to take in a fireworks display in comfort. If we can't have a thunderstorm, then I'm all for dry and cooler.

Monsoon-like weather will return at the end of next week. Maybe even the first official rain will be in the bucket by next Sunday.
I was there in 2007 on July 4th, it was 117 degrees! Didn't really bother me all that much. I think it's true that above 107-108 it doesn't feel much worse.

Found out about pool dinners where you put the food all around the circumference of the pool and float around gnoshing! Loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area