Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 05:43 PM

647 posts, read 3,341,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Yes, in the last 3-4 years definitely.
Can you share the location? 150K for a good house in a good neighborhood is a great deal! I haven't found anything like that and would like to know where I should be looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 09:38 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,169,481 times
No, I was agreeing that you could 3-4 years ago, not now. It all doubled since then. Back 3-4 years ago we were looking in the $165k or less range and could find some deals. For even more deals, it would have been closer to 5 years ago.

For an example, the previous owners of my house bought it for $149k, 5 years ago. 1 1/2 years ago we bought it for $301k. Can you believe they made $152k in 3 1/2 years?!? That's crazy.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:21 PM

9 posts, read 26,737 times
No. It was in my hometown of St. Petersburg Florida in a very desirable neighborhood called Barcley Estates. We bought in in 2001 @ $149K & put in a ton of sweat equity. The St. Pete housing market has mirrored Phoenix in many ways - we sold it and made a good profit so that we can (hopefully) buy into Phoenix or Glendale. It was scary to pay $149K back then (anybody else remember that?) and it's even scarier to consider paying more than 1/4 mill dollars for house anywhere (I know CA folks some of us have been spoiled.)...We're trying to decide where our limit is re: purchase price. What is the comparitative value of a 149K home in 2001 to today in 2007? Is it
$400K ? 500K ? Ohmygosh! Now i'm into the 1/2 mill dollar range!

We're still looking that 's why my original post was:
What is the better zip code in Moon Valley 85022 or 85023? We like older homes than haver been updated w/ the character and loarger lots -like Moon Valley.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:48 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Not neccesarily, it depends on what you're comparing Ahwatukee to. If you're comaring Ahwatukee to say Mesa or Tempe than I'd say yes but if you're comparing it to Chandler or Gilbert than they're pretty even. I personally feel Chandler and Gilbert are better than Ahwatukee in terms of quality of life, safety, etc but some may disagree.
Agree agree.........

Old 06-28-2007, 05:52 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_A_Woman View Post
Are you from Calif? Im guessing this because for a lot of people, 350k is pretty steep for some of us. Of course, I guess these days, thats changing, only because it had to.
Just a couple of years ago we looked out of curiosity, at houses in Chandler and frowned because we thought 175k was way overboard, lol. Heck, now that might get you a broken shack somewhere in S. Phoenix. And Im guessing only people who either are from Calif or are brain surgeons out here think 300+ k is nothing fro an average home out in the Valley. Then again, this is only a thought coming from an average income household...
Yeah tell me about it, I could have bought a drop dead gorgeous Standard Pacific home 3700 sqft I mean gorgeous, huge spiral staircase and soaring ceilings for 280,000 in Gilbert. I thought it was too much money. I could kick myself. I could have made 300,000 in 1 year. I settled for a 150,000 Gilbert home and that doubled.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:27 AM

575 posts, read 1,778,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my sharoana View Post
We're still looking that 's why my original post was:
What is the better zip code in Moon Valley 85022 or 85023? We like older homes than haver been updated w/ the character and loarger lots -like Moon Valley.

Can't remember... are you the ones that don't have to deal with a commute?

We lived in the Moon Valley area years ago. It was one of 'the places to be' at the time. I'm dating myself here, but there really was not a whole lot north of Bell back then. I worked near Central and Bethany Home and even almost 20 years ago my commute from that area could be a nightmare.

Just be sure to do a few trial runs if you'll be doing any rush hour driving. To be fair, it could be better now than it was back then, but those mountains do tend to get in the way of easy travel.

I'd just try out any possible commute routes before buying. (of course that goes for anywhere in the valley)

Since we opted to move to a different location when we came back to AZ I can't really help with the zip code question, sorry.

As to the original question... like sablebaby I'm a big fan of the Arrowhead area in North Glendale.

We have family in Gilbert and there are a lot of things I like about that area as well. But at least where they are... that dairy smell, especially in the evenings, just about knocks me over. Of course I have no doubt that all the new homeowners will eventually complain loudly enough that it won't always be an issue; never mind that the Dairy farmers have been there forever.
Kind of like the idiots who buy directly under the flight paths at Luke (and sign documents stipulating they are aware of thay fact) and then complain about the noise.

Sorry, rant over

next...

Old 06-29-2007, 11:44 AM

341 posts, read 1,673,861 times
Gilbert, Gilbert, GIlbert
even in Val Vista Lakes - great community, great schools, family neighborhood, established, close to every imaginable amentity and safe...
310,000 will buy you a 1700 sq foot house in that area...
and a year from now you will have made a bit more - so equity...

Old 06-29-2007, 12:18 PM

575 posts, read 1,778,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGAZ View Post

and a year from now you will have made a bit more - so equity...

Willing to give a written guarantee?

Old 06-29-2007, 12:26 PM

341 posts, read 1,673,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
Willing to give a written guarantee?
I don't think I would give a written agreement to it - but if you look at what people are having to sell now at - anywhere from 3-10% less than the appraised values due to the mortgage industry - when this all calms down and the elections are over - mortgage rates may go up some however the home values here in Phoenix, I feel comfortable insaying will level off to what they should be any more qualified buyers - due to the job market is still and will be consistently strong in this market - that incomes will not drop.
Just in Gilbert - the new hospital is recreuiting nurses and medical personnel from all over the country - (rumor is the number is something like 1400 nurses needed).
So yes, I will believe the home that is selling for 325,000 ( is the true appraisal number) but because it is a buyers market - that home will sell for about 305,000 maybe less today and in about a year its value will still stand at 325,000 ( and if the buyer is smart in doing some small upgrades, updating they maybe able to push to 330,000). If you notice those that are selling now are also doing some major updates, appliances, upgrades and the buyer is going to be able to take advantage of that rather than todays seller.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:58 PM

64 posts, read 282,848 times
Gilbert is a good area. I live in Ashland Ranch. The elementary school won some award last year as the "best of the best" in Arizona. I don't know about the future of prices but with people coming in from overcrowded overpriced Cali I think the market will hold up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area